The Student Room Group

GCSE grades

I've just finished Year 9 and am excited to begin Year 10 immediately.

To begin, I was just wondering whether my current (most recent) grades have left me in a comfortable position, for when I eventually start my GCSE courses. Consequently, I am asking for an indication to what GCSE grades I could achieve based on my KS3 end of Year 9 grades, which are listed below:
Take into account I attend an average state school.

English - 7b
GCSE History - A
ICT - 7a
Maths - 8c
Religion - 7a
Science - 7a
Spanish - 7a

I realise that NC grades can only be used "predict" GCSE grades but the true grades which can be achieved are down to the student themselves. You may think it's too early for me to be thinking about careers but I am significantly interested in a career within the legal world, most likely as a corporate solicitor.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Those levels are all fine. If you work hard and apply yourself you're easily capable of an A* in any of those subjects. Anyone working at a level 7 on finishing year 9 has the potential to achieve an A/A* at GCSE.
Original post by tory88
Those levels are all fine. If you work hard and apply yourself you're easily capable of an A* in any of those subjects. Anyone working at a level 7 on finishing year 9 has the potential to achieve an A/A* at GCSE.

Thank you for your immediate reply. I understand that to achieve A's/A*'s I must continue to work at my current effort rate. It is a relief to know I have the capability to achieve the highest grades possible.
Tbh they are some damn good grades which show you are already very intelligent/hard working.

Just keep working hard the way you are and always stay on top with homework and try working as much as you can out if school!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakes
Tbh they are some damn good grades which show you are already very intelligent/hard working.

Just keep working hard the way you are and always stay on top with homework and try working as much as you can out if school!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your reply. It fills me with hope that I could potentially achieve high grades, and eventually go on to a respectable career. I always keep on top of homework, as soon as I receive it I complete it on the same day. However, I was just wondering if you have any idea on when I should start revising as I have not been given a syllabus of what each of my subject courses consist of. Therefore, I am a bit confused.
Original post by Melissa.J.Parkes
Thank you so much for your reply. It fills me with hope that I could potentially achieve high grades, and eventually go on to a respectable career. I always keep on top of homework, as soon as I receive it I complete it on the same day. However, I was just wondering if you have any idea on when I should start revising as I have not been given a syllabus of what each of my subject courses consist of. Therefore, I am a bit confused.

You don't need to worry about preparing for GCSEs, you'll probably find Year 10 quite similar to Year 9, just make sure you keep on top of work and homework and make notes that are easy to revise from! Revise properly for mocks as well as real exams and you'll be fine :smile: your grades from Year 9 look promising for A/A*s at GCSE, just keep it up! Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sarah Bethany
You don't need to worry about preparing for GCSEs, you'll probably find Year 10 quite similar to Year 9, just make sure you keep on top of work and homework and make notes that are easy to revise from! Revise properly for mocks as well as real exams and you'll be fine :smile: your grades from Year 9 look promising for A/A*s at GCSE, just keep it up! Good luck! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your reply and the positive comments. I hope I can achieve the grades expected of me. As far as mock exams go, I'll be revising for them as if they were my real ones, so that I can have a practice at my revision techniques. The only "real" GCSE exam I have next year is my Maths as I am doing it a year early and then doing an AS in Year 11. Other than that, I only have coursework, which we are starting in Year 10 but doesn't need to be handed in till Year 11. So I'm just trying to stay calm and composed for the academic year ahead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
For maths, get something like a MathsWatch CD or mymaths.com and go through like 3-4 topics from them a week. Consistently until your maths exams, then when you get nearer to your maths exams, do past papers to identify weaknesses and then tackle those topics on mymaths or MathsWatch .

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rakes
For maths, get something like a MathsWatch CD or mymaths.com and go through like 3-4 topics from them a week. Consistently until your maths exams, then when you get nearer to your maths exams, do past papers to identify weaknesses and then tackle those topics on mymaths or MathsWatch .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice, it will surely be useful in the future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
I think you'll do great!
I finished year 9 with a 6c in science but still ended up with an A* so I think it's also about the work you put in not just entry grades so don't stop :smile:
Original post by matalyst
I think you'll do great!
I finished year 9 with a 6c in science but still ended up with an A* so I think it's also about the work you put in not just entry grades so don't stop :smile:

Thank you so much for your reply, you have given me some confidence as I always doubt my abilities. Congratulations- I can assume you achieved good grades in your GCSE's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

To begin, I was just wondering whether my current (most recent) grades have left me in a comfortable position, for when I eventually start my GCSE courses. Consequently, I am asking for an indication to what GCSE grades I could achieve based on my KS3 end of Year 9 grades, which are listed below:

English - 7b
GCSE History - A
ICT - 7a
Maths - 8c
Religion - 7a
Science - 7a
Spanish - 7a

I realise that NC grades can only be used "predict" GCSE grades but the true grades which can be achieved are down to the student themselves. You may think it's too early for me to be thinking about careers but I am significantly interested in a career within the legal world, most likely as a corporate solicitor.

Wow, these grades are amazing! You have nothing to worry about. When I was in year nine, I got level 5 or 6 in most stuff but got 12A* grades at GCSE, so you should be absolutely fine! :smile: :smile:
Original post by ZeniB
Wow, these grades are amazing! You have nothing to worry about. When I was in year nine, I got level 5 or 6 in most stuff but got 12A* grades at GCSE, so you should be absolutely fine! :smile: :smile:

Thank you for your reply, and well done on the grades you achieved. I'm glad to hear I'm on the right track to achieve good grades, as my school is nothing special, it's an average state school I guess.

Posted from TSR Mobile

English - 7b
GCSE History - A
ICT - 7a
Maths - 8c
Religion - 7a
Science - 7a
Spanish - 7a

You got a 7a in spanish... how is that even possible? :tongue: i remember getting 100% in languages in year 9, only to find out that the highest was 6a
Original post by Angelo12231
You got a 7a in spanish... how is that even possible? :tongue: i remember getting 100% in languages in year 9, only to find out that the highest was 6a

I'm not sure, but on my recent report I achieved a 7a I can attach a copy of my report if needs be. We completed a 5-7 paper in Spanish as well. However, a 7a corresponds to a B/A in GCSE so my teacher may have just changed the GCSE grade into a National Curriculum Level.
I didn't even know level 7's and 8's were possible in year 9.:tongue: I was working at mostly high 6's although I may have had a few 7's (I can't remember). But I'm on track to achieve all A*s now so I reckon you should be very confident with those grades. Honestly, don't worry about it too much at this stage! Good luck in year 10:smile:
Original post by Thinedivine
I didn't even know level 7's and 8's were possible in year 9.:tongue: I was working at mostly high 6's although I may have had a few 7's (I can't remember). But I'm on track to achieve all A*s now so I reckon you should be very confident with those grades. Honestly, don't worry about it too much at this stage! Good luck in year 10:smile:

Yes, level 7's and 8's are achievable in year 9 and thank you for your reply. I'm not worrying too much, it's just I wanted to know if I'm in a secure position for when I go into year 10. Thank you, and I will carry on working hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm not sure, but on my recent report I achieved a 7a I can attach a copy of my report if needs be. We completed a 5-7 paper in Spanish as well. However, a 7a corresponds to a B/A in GCSE so my teacher may have just changed the GCSE grade into a National Curriculum Level.

No need :tongue: either way NC grades don't tell you anything but if you're getting good grades now, I wouldn't worry about getting the grades later :smile: good luck!
Original post by Angelo12231
No need :tongue: either way NC grades don't tell you anything but if you're getting good grades now, I wouldn't worry about getting the grades later :smile: good luck!

Thank you for your positive comments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by matalyst
I think you'll do great!

I got either a 5b or 5a, most teachers gave most of the class the same grade... :frown:

The school often gave me low levels and didn't want to change it. I think I'm on course for A/A* in the sciences, so OP, you shouldn't even worry about those levels. The fact you got pretty high levels means you're probably going to do well though.

Quick Reply

Latest