Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by democracyforum
a 2600k better than a 8350 ?

that says it all

what? who said/asked this..?
Reply 81
Original post by XTimmoX
I was looking at the 4760k earlier actually, in a bundle deal with motherboard and memory. You've overclocked it quite a bit then if you're at 4.50ghz! :wink:

Unfortunately I cannot afford r9 280x and a better processor. Either one or the other..

So which of these 3 would you say is best?:

1. AMD FX 8320 (OC to 4ghz) and R9 280x
2. Intel i5-4440 (stock 3.3ghz) and R9 280 x
3. Intel 4670k (maybe OC, not sure) and R9 270x.

Thanks, :smile:

That's a high oc for the base 3.4GHz which would have put the voltage up and increased the temperatures a lot. I'm not surprised to see a closed-loop system cooling the processor but the h100i isn't that great for cooling.

You need to be aware that before you start an oc, you need to know a couple of things. There is a chance that your processor just won't handle the oc or you won't get the desired oc results that you're hoping for. There is no guaranteed oc so bare that in mind. You will also need to compensate for the increased voltage on the processor which will in turn require a larger power supply and the temperatures on the processor will increase. You will also need a solid motherboard that can handle the oc.

The ud3 is good for oc'ing, so is the fx990 as two examples. You're going to need a good board, decent cooling and a lucky break that your processor will push its limits before hitting a thermal wall or throttling with temperatures.

The 8320 or the 4440 are fine for gaming. Games utilize dual cores and only some games like BF4 are utilizing quad cores. The 4440 cannot be overclocked because it is locked. The 8320 can obviously be oc'ed so that's a point to the 8320. Single performance the 4440 will run slightly better because of the architecture for the cores and the instructions per cycle. The 4440 has a built in chipset so you don't need to rush out and get a graphics card instantly and with a lower power consumption, the processor won't be drawing as much heat as the 8320. The 8320 has the higher clock speed and turbo clock than the 4440 and is obviously hyperthreaded.

The 4670k will be dominant against both the 4440 and the 8320, can be overclocked because it isn't locked and has very similar clock speeds at base clock and through turbo boost (air).

The 280x and 270x are just rebranded 7870/7970s with a higher overclock, pcb and heatsink upgrade. Expect 40-45 fps on high with the 280 and a 4670k.

The average price of the 8320 is roughly £100-£100, on top of that you need a decent board if you plan to oc and a after market cooler. The 4670k is roughly £150-£160 and you already have almost the same clock speed against the 8320 and (imo) the architecture on the Intel cores are vastly superior because clock for clock, Bulldozer won't touch Haswell. Amd counters this by boasting about their HSA and Mantle which will take years before most applications are using it but when they do, AMD's chips will certainly make an impact but will it do anything special?

Broadwell is coming around the corner and the Haswell 1150 socket might not be compatible with Broadwell but nobody knows. AM3+ won't be supported for that much longer so you might want to think about future proofing as much as you can so you save money in the long run as well.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/17/battlefield_4_video_card_performance_iq_review/5#.U-KbWfldX5N
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheKian
He might want to get more cores and stuff which use more power

Nah man, future GPUs use loads less power. The new Maxwell GPUs from nVidia are incredible tbh. Edit: ie, the GTX 750Ti as below:

Reply 83
Original post by mikeyd85
Nah man, future GPUs use loads less power. The new Maxwell GPUs from nVidia are incredible tbh. Edit: ie, the GTX 750Ti as below:

Fair does. But I meant in the immediate future, say this year for example. Doesn't matter anyway
Original post by TheKian
Fair does. But I meant in the immediate future, say this year for example. Doesn't matter anyway

Except this year (or early next year) maxwell hits the flagships. Really, you're more looking at 2 or 3 years away where the power consumption gets pulled up again because there is a large step up in compute performance.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 85

On the very top of the first graph, it's Radeon R9 270.. is there a difference between R9 270 and R9 207X? Which is better if so?
Original post by XTimmoX
On the very top of the first graph, it's Radeon R9 270.. is there a difference between R9 270 and R9 207X? Which is better if so?

The X variant is a little more powerful - about 9%.
Reply 87
The X variant is a little more powerful - about 9%.

I want to upgrade the GPU... Is it worth spending an extra £40 to get the R9-280X over the R9-280???
Original post by Jamie73
What voltage are you running at?

@ 1.30v 4670k
Original post by XTimmoX
I was looking at the 4760k earlier actually, in a bundle deal with motherboard and memory. You've overclocked it quite a bit then if you're at 4.50ghz! :wink:

Unfortunately I cannot afford r9 280x and a better processor. Either one or the other..

So which of these 3 would you say is best?:

1. AMD FX 8320 (OC to 4ghz) and R9 280x
2. Intel i5-4440 (stock 3.3ghz) and R9 280 x
3. Intel 4670k (maybe OC, not sure) and R9 270x.

Thanks, :smile:

1. AMD FX 8320 (OC to 4ghz) and R9 280x no doubt. GPU most important thing in gaming. You don't need the 8350. 8320 will suffice.
Original post by XTimmoX
I want to upgrade the GPU... Is it worth spending an extra £40 to get the R9-280X over the R9-280???

yes. do it.
Reply 91
Original post by Jamie73

The average price of the 8320 is roughly £100-£100

Nice price range you have there :wink:
Original post by Jamie73
That's a high oc for the base 3.4GHz which would have put the voltage up and increased the temperatures a lot. I'm not surprised to see a closed-loop system cooling the processor but the h100i isn't that great for cooling.

You need to be aware that before you start an oc, you need to know a couple of things. There is a chance that your processor just won't handle the oc or you won't get the desired oc results that you're hoping for. There is no guaranteed oc so bare that in mind. You will also need to compensate for the increased voltage on the processor which will in turn require a larger power supply and the temperatures on the processor will increase. You will also need a solid motherboard that can handle the oc.

The ud3 is good for oc'ing, so is the fx990 as two examples. You're going to need a good board, decent cooling and a lucky break that your processor will push its limits before hitting a thermal wall or throttling with temperatures.

The 8320 or the 4440 are fine for gaming. Games utilize dual cores and only some games like BF4 are utilizing quad cores. The 4440 cannot be overclocked because it is locked. The 8320 can obviously be oc'ed so that's a point to the 8320. Single performance the 4440 will run slightly better because of the architecture for the cores and the instructions per cycle. The 4440 has a built in chipset so you don't need to rush out and get a graphics card instantly and with a lower power consumption, the processor won't be drawing as much heat as the 8320. The 8320 has the higher clock speed and turbo clock than the 4440 and is obviously hyperthreaded.

The 4670k will be dominant against both the 4440 and the 8320, can be overclocked because it isn't locked and has very similar clock speeds at base clock and through turbo boost (air).

The 280x and 270x are just rebranded 7870/7970s with a higher overclock, pcb and heatsink upgrade. Expect 40-45 fps on high with the 280 and a 4670k.

The average price of the 8320 is roughly £100-£100, on top of that you need a decent board if you plan to oc and a after market cooler. The 4670k is roughly £150-£160 and you already have almost the same clock speed against the 8320 and (imo) the architecture on the Intel cores are vastly superior because clock for clock, Bulldozer won't touch Haswell. Amd counters this by boasting about their HSA and Mantle which will take years before most applications are using it but when they do, AMD's chips will certainly make an impact but will it do anything special?

Broadwell is coming around the corner and the Haswell 1150 socket might not be compatible with Broadwell but nobody knows. AM3+ won't be supported for that much longer so you might want to think about future proofing as much as you can so you save money in the long run as well.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2013/11/17/battlefield_4_video_card_performance_iq_review/5#.U-KbWfldX5N

h100i is an excellent cooler, the problem lies with intel using ****ty thermal paste between the cpu die and the IHS, my 4670k cpu's max temp is 77c @ 4.50ghz @1.30v
Reply 94

Nah, I wasn't disputing whether that was a reasonable price, it's just that I found a range with the same upper and lower values to be a little odd xD
Reply 95
Original post by BasharAssad
h100i is an excellent cooler, the problem lies with intel using ****ty thermal paste between the cpu die and the IHS, my 4670k cpu's max temp is 77c @ 4.50ghz @1.30v

Remove the IHS then?
easy

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gigabyte-Motherboard-Intel-Quad-Core-i5-4430-3-0GHz-Socket-1150-CPU-4GB-DDR3-/161379098662?pt=UK_Motherboards_CPUs&hash=item2592f1a026

plus 100 for a graphics card

= 325

what else do you need ? keep your current case, power supply, monitor , keyboard etc.

or raise funds by selling your gpu and cpu/mobo combo on ebay

you can get a 1tb hybrid ssd drive for 80 pounds. it doesn't perform like an SSD, but it's a heck of a lot faster than a HDD.

Except he wanted a 270X, which is £130, a 1TB HDD - £40, Samsung EVO SSD - £90, 4GB of RAM is not enough for gaming these days, so another 4GB of that same RAM is £25, and he has no mention of having a case or power supply
Original post by Supertoaster
Except he wanted a 270X, which is £130, a 1TB HDD - £40, Samsung EVO SSD - £90, 4GB of RAM is not enough for gaming these days, so another 4GB of that same RAM is £25, and he has no mention of having a case or power supply

get a 1tb hybrdid SSD for much cheaper.
Reply 98
get a 1tb hybrdid SSD for much cheaper.

just looked at these, think I will actually:smile:

because to be fair I don't really need more than 1TB of space, the SSD wasn't for additional room - it was for quick game load times and OS boot up. But I can save £40 (roughly) by getting a hybrid! cheers bro
Reply 99
Latest Build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£155.94 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo 43.1 CFM CPU Cooler (£16.48 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus Z87-K ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£81.44 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£65.76 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Seagate 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Hybrid Internal Hard Drive (£53.57 @ CCL Computers)
Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 280X 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card (£222.34 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: NZXT Phantom 240 ATX Mid Tower Case (£54.29 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply (£53.35 @ CCL Computers)
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer (£11.05 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £714.22
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-07 17:13 BST+0100

Mum and Dad have agreed to buy the CPU for me, which brings the build down to £560, which I'm happy with (considering I now have better CPU, better motherboard, better cooler and a R9 280x compared to 270x from when I started!) :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest