The Student Room Group

Which A levels should I continue with into A2?

I am hoping to study English Literature next year as a degree however I in a bit of a quandary about which of my 4 subjects I should drop in September. I study English Language, English Literature, History and Spanish and I'm predicted A's in these subjects.

I find English Language quite mundane but I suppose it would be better for applying to do a degree in literature than Spanish plus Spanish is a lot more time consuming than english language? ( I refuse to drop History, I enjoy it too much). However, I enjoy Spanish more than English Language?

Need help.
What do universities want?
They usually just state the grade they want for English literature and don't mention other subjects
Original post by Bibliophile96
I am hoping to study English Literature next year as a degree however I in a bit of a quandary about which of my 4 subjects I should drop in September. I study English Language, English Literature, History and Spanish and I'm predicted A's in these subjects.

I find English Language quite mundane but I suppose it would be better for applying to do a degree in literature than Spanish plus Spanish is a lot more time consuming than english language? ( I refuse to drop History, I enjoy it too much). However, I enjoy Spanish more than English Language?

Need help.

English Language would be useful for an English degree, regardless if it's Lit or Lang. However, Spanish would be interesting - I do know some unis allow students from a language background to study a language-lit module. For example, French Literature during the French Revolution. So perhaps you might want to consider this.

English Lit and History are the ones to keep for sure. If you do not enjoy AS English Lang, you possibly could hate A2. Funnily enough it's different each person. For instance, I loves AS English Lang, hated AS English Lit. However, I hated A2 English Lang and loved A2 English Lit. But that doesn't mean I will not love and appreciate English Language as a whole as I do find it fascinating. But all the researching and theories and linguists and etc was too much of a sociology/psychology experiment for me and I didn't like that about English Language.

Perhaps it would be useful to look into the topics of what you will be studying at A2 and see whether that will influence your decision in deciding to drop Lang or Spanish. However, if you simply enjoy Spanish more than you do English Lang, the answer is quite obvious then.
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
English Language would be useful for an English degree, regardless if it's Lit or Lang. However, Spanish would be interesting - I do know some unis allow students from a language background to study a language-lit module. For example, French Literature during the French Revolution. So perhaps you might want to consider this.

English Lit and History are the ones to keep for sure. If you do not enjoy AS English Lang, you possibly could hate A2. Funnily enough it's different each person. For instance, I loves AS English Lang, hated AS English Lit. However, I hated A2 English Lang and loved A2 English Lit. But that doesn't mean I will not love and appreciate English Language as a whole as I do find it fascinating. But all the researching and theories and linguists and etc was too much of a sociology/psychology experiment for me and I didn't like that about English Language.

Perhaps it would be useful to look into the topics of what you will be studying at A2 and see whether that will influence your decision in deciding to drop Lang or Spanish. However, if you simply enjoy Spanish more than you do English Lang, the answer is quite obvious then.

Hmm, it's not like I adore Spanish or anything, I just prefer it over English language. There's probably more benefits within continuing with English Language seen as though it will make me feel a bit more secure in applying to uni. Plus Spanish takes up so much of my time.

Thanks for the advice comrade:smile:

Need help.

I actually don't think English Language is a terribly useful or relevant thing to have for a literature degree unless courses you're applying for have a specific requirement or option that you intend to take up to study language in that way. Any benefit it does bring to your application will certainly be matched or exceeded by Spanish. I'd say either follow your heart and do what you will enjoy the most or follow your brain and do what you're most likely to do well in. Hopefully they're the same thing.

Need help.

I know I'm not providing you any answers but I'm actually in the same position :frown: I've done English lit, English lang, History and Philosophy & Ethics for AS and I have a feeling I've done better in Lit/Lang than History and P & E which is so annoying. I get told different things about English Language's relevance towards wanting to study English Literature so I haven't a clue. I never wanted to drop History though but I have a feeling I'm going to get a B - I don't know to go with what I'm naturally better at and find easier but find more mundane (English Language) or push myself to do something more "rewarding"...However I don't know which ones would be more rewarding to study! The only one I'm definitely taking regardless is Lit...

Sorry for the rant, I'm completely in the same boat :colondollar:
Spanish is generally a more respected subject than English Language for university applications, so it might benefit you to keep it. Other subjects probably won't matter too much, I know someone accepted onto an English Lit and Classics degree with English Lit and two sciences at A2. It's worth waiting to see your results first, that may influence your decision

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending