The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Notts or Durham for Psych.?

hi. Im gna study Psychology BSc at either Notts or Durham hopefully in Sept. but am a bit stuck as I dont seem to know anyone tht knows both places personally! The things im worried bout durham are:- the accommodation (cuths- didnt like it a lot), -the dept. (better and more modern at notts), -the rah reputation (every1 at cuths seemed to go to boarding school except for me!!), -the distance (i live near london- is it important to live reasonably close to get home for the occasional wkend?) -lack of nightlife (im not a huge clubber, bt i do like partying and bars!) - north/south divide (i dont want to be diff. just cos im a southerner!). I liked Durham as a pretty city, which my rents would like to visit sometimes, and its surroundings. The effort they made for the open day was also really good. OK, now Notts... Problems- ive heard about a stuck-upness, which was slightly reflected in how they didnt organise the open day very well (it seemed like they couldnt really be arsed, which i didnt like) - High crime rate (i know this is bad for most cities, and i generally dont worry when im around in london, but i have heard that it is really bad) -also, didnt seem like an amazingly attractive town, although i loved the trams! However, notts has a better dept, nicer campus, and the halls look relatively good. does anyone know if many are shared? It also just seems like a really fun place to be! eek. i really dont know, please help!

Scroll to see replies

i'm not even going to bother trying to weigh up the arguments as you've done it well, durham imo is a horrendous place and i can't imagine why anyone would want to go there, except for the ducks. nottingham on the other hand is great, immense fun and fab people.

nottingham. every time.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
lil-miss-happy
hi. Im gna study Psychology BSc at either Notts or Durham hopefully in Sept. ---cut--- OK, now Notts... Problems- ive heard about a stuck-upness, which was slightly reflected in how they didnt organise the open day very well (it seemed like they couldnt really be arsed, which i didnt like)

I'm in my first year of psych at Notts. I didn't apply to Durham so I can't compare, but I can offer you some info about Notts if you want it! My open day here was rubbish too - nothing was organised like campus tours or anything - but I haven't had any problems with stuck-up people at all. There's only one member of staff here I've met who (I think) views himself as superior to the rest of the human race, but all in all he is a good lecturer.

Anyways, if you have any more questions about Notts feel free PM me :smile:
Reply 3
I had the same dilemma as you (i'm studying BSc Psych), and in the end I put Notts as my first choice and Durham as my insurance.

Why?

Nottingham has a waaaaaaaay better department than Durham. Nottingham's course also seemed more for me as well.
The city - you won't get bored, whilst I heard in Durham you feel a bit claustrophobic.
Campus life.

Durham is a gorgeous place, but the Nottingham campus is pretty too. Also, I come from a city (live away from the CBD but) and perhaps going to Notts would be a better and easier transition for me. The city close by to me is really incomparable to any other place because it's too good - pretty, modern (but has loads of history, like Notts), very clean, hardly any crime, amusement park (yes in the city!), a port city so I can see the ocean from my window....well EVERYTHING...lolz. Well I digresssed now, but yes, I think Nottingham would be a better choice :biggrin:.

Don't worry about crime rate - if you don't look for it it trouble won't find you :wink: And don't be put off by what Andyreid says, it's bullshit. As for the halls - most of them are single study (including ensuite). Also, I talked to many Nottingham alumni the other day as I was invited to a party by the University, and they all said they didn't encounter stuck up people (even if they were there, they didn't meet any) and overall the people at Uni. were very friendly. In the case of Durham, however, I have heard incidences of snobbery (though I heard it's fine if you just steer away from the Rahs).

~vavavoom~
Reply 4
rah
i'm not even going to bother trying to weigh up the arguments as you've done it well, durham imo is a horrendous place and i can't imagine why anyone would want to go there, except for the ducks. nottingham on the other hand is great, immense fun and fab people.

nottingham. every time.

ahahaha
rahs angry cos the poster said what she saw]

durah is much more attractive than nottingham and a big emphasis on the MUCH

"horrendous" place????????

hmmmmmm st anns or durham,st anns or durham????????

nottinghams had 5 shootings in the last 5 weeks

old ladies and 16 year old lads have been gunned down dead(RIP)

yes rah very friendly place

it has the 3rd highest teenage pregnancies in england,as you can see that just by walking round all of the pound shops in the broadmarsh

the only prob with durham is that its got a tiny city centre

but you got newcastle to travel to which has far superior nightlife to nottingham if you want to try out clubbing
Reply 5
i'd go with nottingham. it's a really good uni for psych and seems like a much more enjoyable place to live. :smile:
Reply 6
Hello!!!! I'm off to Notts in Seppie to do Psychology so if you decide to join me and Vavavoom on our interesting adventure, I'll buy you a drink...
You can hold me to that :0)
We can also hunt down Andy Reid and abuse him so he knows what real crime is. Muhahha.
Let us know what you decide. x
Reply 7
hahaha i will def hold you to that....in fact, i might just go there as you've promised to buy me a drink :biggrin: sweet!it does sound like fun- am i losing out on gd accomm. the longer that i leave this? oopsy.
Reply 8
ruthie_x

We can also hunt down Andy Reid and abuse him so he knows what real

This was one of the big reasons I picked Nottingham!!! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Well people who had placed Nottingham as their firm off with UCAS got chance to apply for accommodation from April 1st. I placed my application on April 2nd. I don't know whether Notts works on a first-come-first-served basis but I suppose some people are still waiting for final offers etc. Ye old cliche - "The sooner the better" - seems appropriate advice. However, I wouldn't worry. People who get the "best" accommodation, don't necessarily have the "best" times. In fact, probably the opposite. The crappier the accommodation, the more fun. So I've heard anyway. As long as I have a bed to sleep off the numerous hangovers.
Which way are you swaying at the moment? Notts or Durham? What's your offer from Durham?
well they're both ABB. im swaying towards notts, as it seems to have a "something for everyone" feel to it. all my friends think im more suited to notts, whereas my family seem to think durham! lol my family wont mind whatever i choose though- they just want a nice place to stay in if they visit! i just think notts might sway it though- they have more single study accomm (who knows when i'll turn up to my bed?!), they have an H&M in the town, a better dept, i didnt see much of the campus but it seemed quite nice, and they seem to have good facilities on the campus! anyways, i want to join the chocolate society :wink:
Reply 11
My email address is [email protected] if you want to email sometime. Let me know if you do put Notts as firm.
Oh, by the way, the poll currently stands as 10:1 in Nottingham's favour. You just know that the one sad individual who voted against Notts goes by the name of Mr. Reid. Sorry, that's too obvious, shall we call him, Andy R?
Take care x
Reply 12
ruthie_x
You just know that the one sad individual who voted against Notts goes by the name of Mr. Reid. Sorry, that's too obvious, shall we call him, Andy R?

I like to call him "the root of all frustration and anger" or "bitter twisted little man" but whatever floats your boat... :wink:
Reply 13
Durham is far superior. I live between Leicester and Nottingham, and go to Nottingham most weeks. It is improbable that you will venture into the city at night and not see at least one street beating. I am scared to go out without at least 5 mates, incase we get jumped.

I am into clubbing in a big way, and so I thought Durham would seriously suck, but I was wrong. Although a close knitt communitee, a city with 10,000 students in it is never gonna be boring. And at least once a week, a trip to Newcastle for £2.50 return (on train) will fulfill any diversity as to regards clubbing that is required.

PS. Try posting this polll in the Durham section and see what the outcome is. Hardly gonna get an unbiased response in here.
Reply 14
lil-miss-happy
north/south divide (i dont want to be diff. just cos im a southerner!).

hello!
i have already spoken to you, i hope you make a decision soon, it must be hard, i'm glad i was so sure about uni's cos i'm so indecisive usually!!!
Just thought i'd clear summat up, when you asked me about a north south divide i thought you meant in favour of Southerners!!!! Surely you noticed when you visited that about 90% of ppl at Durham are Southern!?!? I have actually picked up a southern accent since being there!!! There are a lot of Rah's that is true, but they are sweet once you get to know them and Cuths probably has the most non rah people!!!!
Oh well, good luck in deciding!!!
Reply 15
AmyBlue
hello!
i have already spoken to you, i hope you make a decision soon, it must be hard, i'm glad i was so sure about uni's cos i'm so indecisive usually!!!
Just thought i'd clear summat up, when you asked me about a north south divide i thought you meant in favour of Southerners!!!! Surely you noticed when you visited that about 90% of ppl at Durham are Southern!?!? I have actually picked up a southern accent since being there!!! There are a lot of Rah's that is true, but they are sweet once you get to know them and Cuths probably has the most non rah people!!!!
Oh well, good luck in deciding!!!

Durham = overrated overrated and overrated!!
Reply 16
Ladyluck

This post = crap crap and crap!!
Reply 17
andy_b
This post = b*llox b*llox and b*llox!!

Using that kind of language = banned, banned, banned
Reply 18
Ladyluck

jealousy is an awful thing.
Reply 19
AmyBlue
jealousy is an awful thing.

I applied to Durham and think it is one of the prettiest universities in the country but I would say that it is slighly overrated. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending