The Student Room Group

Should all WMDs be disposed?

Poll

Should be dispose all WMDs?

Should all states across the world dispose their stockpile of WMDs as these weapons are too inhumane to use? Discuss.

Data:

This is a graph showing the number of stockpile nuclear warhead by country:
Rank,Country, # of nuclear warheads
1, Russia, 8200
2, USA, 5850
3, China, 200
4, Pakistan, 100
5, India, 90
6, Israel, 80
7, UK, 65
8, France, 10

Source:
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2012/dec/13/north-korea-nuclear-weapons
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
In an ideal world, yes.

But we don't live in an ideal world.
Reply 2
No I don't think so. I don't see the issue with certain nations holding nuclear weapons provided they held safely and have reliable safeguards. Nuclear weapons, whilst not stopping smaller or proxy conflicts have so far stopped large scale war between powerful nations. Nothing on the scale of the first or second world war could happen in a nuclear world. However what I believe should happen is the end of weapons on "hair trigger" therefore buying more time for nations to negotiate and stopping the risk of an accidental launch. Even if it just provided an extra hour that could be enough for a nation to make sure they are not firing at a flock of geese.
Reply 3
No, we have not had any major wars since nuclear weapons were invernted, and I would rather things stay like that. get rid of them and there will be another war between the USA and some eastern power.
Reply 4
No so long as these are in play politicians (at least rational ones we elect in the West) won't take the risk, they might be greedy but suicidal they are not.
Reply 5
What I don't get is, what gives USA the authority to say who is allowed and who isn't? USA are the only ones who actually used it. Does it all just come down to "might makes right".
Reply 6
Original post by mali167
What I don't get is, what gives USA the authority to say who is allowed and who isn't? USA are the only ones who actually used it. Does it all just come down to "might makes right".

There are three recognised types of WMD. Many countries have used at least one of them. That the OP has chosen to show his ignorance and refer only to one of them is his problem.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending