The Student Room Group

Earthquake in China kills 398 people

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-28635027

The death toll is probably likely to rise. Let's hope that those injured get treated quickly and effectively. Thoughts go out to those families that have been ruined by this.

On a secondary note, why has this story got barely any coverage in the media? I was watching Sky News for an hour or so this morning and it didn't get mentioned once! I had to search quite hard to find it on the UK BBC website.

Here is the DM story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2714714/Huge-earthquake-measuring-6-5-Richter-scale-southern-China-kills-150-leaves-1-400-injured.html#comments

Again, very few comments and it was never anywhere near the top of the page, as the comments have said.

This is also the first mention of this event on TSR! :mad:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Autistic Merit

The death toll is probably likely to rise. Let's hope that those injured get treated quickly and effectively. Thoughts go out to those families that have been ruined by this.

On a secondary note, why has this story got barely any coverage in the media? I was watching Sky News for an hour or so this morning and it didn't get mentioned once! I had to search quite hard to find it on the UK BBC website.

Here is the DM story:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2714714/Huge-earthquake-measuring-6-5-Richter-scale-southern-China-kills-150-leaves-1-400-injured.html#comments

Again, very few comments and it was never anywhere near the top of the page, as the comments have said.

The simple answer is. People over here don't really care.

It's horrible but it's the sad truth. There are many stories out there that the media deem more relevant to their readers so they take centre stage.

An example of this is that there are bombs that go off across the world pretty much every day. We only ever hear about the ones that the media feel like telling us.
I was amazed by this too - BBC had tweeted once about it on their breaking news page. The toll started off at just 26 people and it's still going up. Hopefully China can recover quickly, luckily it didn't happen in an LEDC!

Because it:

A) Happens fairly often in China compared to other places
B) There have been similar incidents which larger body counts.
Reply 4

Here is the DM story:

china gets a lot of fairly large earthquakes so unless a really big one happened then i wouldn't expect major coverage on the bbc or similar really.
china itself is an NIC so should have the technology/finance etc to recover eventually, compared to many LEDC's that stuggle to recover on their own at all. the area in which this happened has a HDI ranking of 0.6 roughly so is not the most developed, china's levels of development vary majorly. However countries that experience these events frequently are more used to them and will be able to respond better than unexperienced countries.
Original post by Snagprophet
Because it:

A) Happens fairly often in China compared to other places
B) There have been similar incidents which larger body counts.

It's the only earthquake this year that has killed more than 30 people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_earthquakes_in_the_2010s_(by_death_toll)

According to the list above, it has the 7th highest death toll for an earthquake during this decade. I know the article hasn't been edited to add it in yet.

inb4 Wikipedia anyone can edit, unreliable etc.
Reply 6
Because theres so many Chinese people a few dying wont interest people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
Because theres so many Chinese people a few dying wont interest people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Crazy...

There are so many humans on the planet...why should I moan about the death of one person - my mother?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by RoyalBlue7
Crazy...

There are so many humans on the planet...why should I moan about the death of one person - my mother?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why would you moan a about the death of people you don't know? people die every day I could be gone tomorrow I'm sure you wouldn't cry. It's not a huge disaster where thousands have died.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Ana81
Why would you moan a about the death of people you don't know? people die every day I could be gone tomorrow I'm sure you wouldn't cry. It's not a huge disaster where thousands have died.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So unless it effects you its not relevant and you dont care? Does it shock you to find out people aren't all as self centered as you?
Caucasian media only features anti China/Chinese bashing; never anything neutral or positive. Racist much?
Original post by Ana81

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's considered a tragedy when people have their lives set out for them and they die prematurely...
Reply 12
Original post by K1996s
So unless it effects you its not relevant and you dont care? Does it shock you to find out people aren't all as self centered as you?

Clearly you didn't understand what I said.. Secondly do you cry every time someone dies? if so then you should be crying right now.. This compared to the Palestine issue isn't that big, the BBC aren't going to make a broadcast everytime a person dies as people have died since human life was created. You can go light a candle every time someone dies if you want to thats fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81

Posted from TSR Mobile

But you said the reason was because there are a LOT of Chinese so it doesn't matter. Now you're got the right sense. Thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by RoyalBlue7
But you said the reason was because there are a LOT of Chinese so it doesn't matter. Now you're got the right sense. Thank you :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sigh..

Look at the population of China and the actual size of it.. There are probably people in China who dont even know this disaster took place. I was unaware till I came to this thread. Bottom line is its not the holocaust and in a country of a billion people or so I don't think 300+ deaths is going to make huge headlines. Fact is if my whole family died, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid.. to me personally it would be the end of the world.People are dying of starvation in Africa as we speak.. tell me when was the last time you heard about it on the news? its life my friend, sucks but that's how it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ana81
Sigh..

Look at the population of China and the actual size of it.. There are probably people in China who dont even know this disaster took place. I was unaware till I came to this thread. Bottom line is its not the holocaust and in a country of a billion people or so I don't think 300+ deaths is going to make huge headlines. Fact is if my whole family died, most people wouldn't bat an eyelid.. to me personally it would be the end of the world.People are dying of starvation in Africa as we speak.. tell me when was the last time you heard about it on the news? its life my friend, sucks but that's how it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So there's two reasons:

(1) The population is so large - 300 people dying is negligible. The greater the proportion the greater attention it gets.

(2) People do care only for their loved ones. The closer to home the greater the attention it gets.

Now in your initial post you implied only (1) but then you brought in (2) in your other posts. I accept (2) and now I see that (1) is also true.

Thank you for that :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by LaughingBro
Caucasian media only features anti China/Chinese bashing; never anything neutral or positive. Racist much?

I do agree with you here.
Reply 17
Original post by LaughingBro

Even compliments are thinly veiled insults. When they bring the level of Chinese students they always have to say how 'opressed' they are etc.

Western, Caucasian media is like that about everyone but themselves but do it subtly enough to have claims by yourself and I, laughed off.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rest in Peace to all those that have died. Hope China can recover quickly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending