The Student Room Group

DSA assessment

Hello, I have just sent off my application for DSA and was just wondering if it would be likely that it would be sorted out before I go to uni. I move in on the 25th September the week starting the 29th September is fresher's week so ideally I would like it to be sorted before the start of the following week as that is obviously when I am going to start my actual uni work. I am concerned as I read it can take up to 3 months and I have about 2 months so in people's personal opinion does it usually take 3 months or is it usually less? I know it varies so I am just wondering about what experience people have with it :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by KiwiMonkey96
Hello, I have just sent off my application for DSA and was just wondering if it would be likely that it would be sorted out before I go to uni. I move in on the 25th September the week starting the 29th September is fresher's week so ideally I would like it to be sorted before the start of the following week as that is obviously when I am going to start my actual uni work. I am concerned as I read it can take up to 3 months and I have about 2 months so in people's personal opinion does it usually take 3 months or is it usually less? I know it varies so I am just wondering about what experience people have with it :confused:

If you have just sent off your application it's unlikely. This is the busiest time of year for student finance. You will need to wait until they review your application before issuing a letter agreeing for you to attend an assessment of needs, then when this is booked- probably around end of august, the report will be completed up to 10 days after. We normally advise that equipment is provided within 4-6 weeks of the assessment of needs appointment date.
Original post by NJones
If you have just sent off your application it's unlikely. This is the busiest time of year for student finance. You will need to wait until they review your application before issuing a letter agreeing for you to attend an assessment of needs, then when this is booked- probably around end of august, the report will be completed up to 10 days after. We normally advise that equipment is provided within 4-6 weeks of the assessment of needs appointment date.

I have found a needs assessment centre that says they usually have appointments available within 3 working days so of course that will speed it up a little. I had no choice but to wait as I was waiting on a diagnosis and started of waiting on the NHS before realising they were going to take too long and therefore going privately anyway, I should of just gone privately in the first place. But if I have an assessment at the end of august and it takes 4-6 weeks then IF it only takes 4 weeks then that would be end of September and it would just about be OK!?!
can I just ask theres a part on the form that states it needs the university to write something?or can I send it off without there input?
Original post by sophie_sharks
can I just ask theres a part on the form that states it needs the university to write something?or can I send it off without there input?

I can't remember it asking for anything to do with my university :/ it already knew which uni I was going to from my student finance application
Original post by KiwiMonkey96
I have found a needs assessment centre that says they usually have appointments available within 3 working days so of course that will speed it up a little. I had no choice but to wait as I was waiting on a diagnosis and started of waiting on the NHS before realising they were going to take too long and therefore going privately anyway, I should of just gone privately in the first place. But if I have an assessment at the end of august and it takes 4-6 weeks then IF it only takes 4 weeks then that would be end of September and it would just about be OK!?!

Don't forget that once it gets approved it takes 2 weeks for equipment to be delivered... And then you need to book in some training on it (if it was recommended).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rainbow_artist
Don't forget that once it gets approved it takes 2 weeks for equipment to be delivered... And then you need to book in some training on it (if it was recommended).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've had my needs assessment now, just waiting for it to be confirmed be dsa now, as I've said above I couldn't do anything about it as I had to wait for a diagnosis and always knew that it would be tight if I did manage to get it in time which is currently looking like it won't be in time for when I move to uni but might be in time for the start of my course. As much as I hate it I'm just going to have to wait and hope that the equipment comes before I start my actual course, I can deal with it not being there throughout freshers as I don't really think that there will be much that week that would mean I would need them to much. And anyways, doesn't the time for delivery depend on the supplier so could technically be more or less depending on this?
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest