The Student Room Group

What's the best engineering field?

Poll

Best engineering field?

I am not exactly sure which field of engineering to go into - so I thought I'd put it to a vote to see what others think.
Reply 1
Original post by jake4198
I am not exactly sure which field of engineering to go into - so I thought I'd put it to a vote to see what others think.

That's like asking what's the best subject to study, it depends.

In my opinion, my favourite type is civil/structural engineering but by no means is that going to be the highest paid, the easiest, the hardest, whatever.

The question is, what do you want to do after your engineering degree? And if you don't know, perhaps you could consider a general engineering degree with no specialty?
Reply 2
This is extremely biased and all to preference. There is no best field, it all depends on what you want to work on in the future and what you enjoy more.

I like bioengineering since I'm also into biology and I like the Biomrchanics: whi doesn't love cyborgs? :3
Original post by AdamCee
That's like asking what's the best subject to study, it depends.

In my opinion, my favourite type is civil/structural engineering but by no means is that going to be the highest paid, the easiest, the hardest, whatever.

The question is, what do you want to do after your engineering degree? And if you don't know, perhaps you could consider a general engineering degree with no specialty?

I'd preferably want a field which has everything: good job prospects, good pay, and also interesting. I find Aeronautical the most most interesting, but jobs are more scarce. Chemical engineering has the most money, however it's not so interesting. And Computer Science has the most jobs, but not the best pay
Reply 4
I'd preferably want a field which has everything: good job prospects, good pay, and also interesting. I find Aeronautical the most most interesting, but jobs are more scarce. Chemical engineering has the most money, however it's not so interesting. And Computer Science has the most jobs, but not the best pay

Even if you done type of engineering you and still change after graduating.
Reply 5

Well what do you think is more important...

Job satisfaction, or pay?
Reply 6
Very difficult question to answer. It depends on what YOU want to do. There is no best engineering field, it's about what's best for YOU. My passion is Aerospace so for me, Aerospace Engineering is best. If you have no specific interest, but have an inclination towards mechanical things, then Mechanical Engineering is best for you.

The problem is you won't do equally well in all engineering fields. If you do something you are not interested in, you'll do poorly. And then it doesn't matter how many job openings there are, you won't be getting them.

On the other hand, if you are doing something you are deeply passionate about, you will do very well, and who cares if there aren't many jobs? You only need 1, and you will be getting 1.

Obviously there are limits to that, and you don't want to get into a field with 95% unemployment rate, but all the fields you listed have good enough employment prospects that that's not something you really need to worry about. If you are good, you will get a job in any of those fields.

Just do something you are very passionate about, and will be very good at.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending