The Student Room Group

Premedicine and other Issues

Hello Everyone,
Its been a long long time since i am posting a question. Now that my Alevel's results are out ( I got 2 A's YAHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO..That means 4 A's in Physics,Chemistry,Biology,Maths ) I plan to study in the US. But i dont have much info about this premedicine stuff. I read the STICKY faq but it gave info AFTER premedicine. Anyone knows the procedure and information about premedical studies?

One more thing, the consultant here told me that medical studies last atleast like 8 years in US..that means 3-4 years of premedicine and 4 years in a med school.. IS that it? Do i need to do some further medicial studies? I heard it lasts like 12 years...GOSH!!!!!!!!! Is this true?

Apart from these, i was hoping if there was any chance of SCHOALRSHIPS..but seeing it clearly mentioned in the FAQ...<sigh> . I think ill go for a student loan and some financial aid..Anyone knows the procedure of studentloan and interest rates? and other vital infos please?

Thanks once again TSR :tsr2:

-Smash
Yes medicine in the US is 4 years for an MD, preceded by 4 years of a BA or BS.
There are some universities that do 6-7 year med programs, and they accept you as a first year university student. I know Virginia Commonwealth University does one.

My cousin is a foreign student and got a scholarship at Howard University for a 6 year med program; you can go for that. Howard is a traditionally African-American university but anyone can go, if that doesn't bother you it's a great program :smile:
Reply 2
http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/forumdisplay.php?f=12

all you need to know about pre-med. the combined programs is under Multiple Degree Programs.

As for the timeline, usually it goes
4 year- undergrad studies (bachelor degree)
4 year - medical school (to get the MD)
1 year - internship
residency.

Latest

Trending

Trending