The Student Room Group

Glasgow Medical School Applicants 2015

Since the Scottish Highers results have been released with A levels to follow shortly afterwards, I thought I would start a thread for potential applicants for 2015.
Hopefully some of you will be my classmates next year!
I am a graduate who already has a place for 2015 as I applied last year for deferred entry.Feel free to ask any questions regarding the process.I am sure some of the TSR's who are just about to start in Sept and who are in the other years will be able to answer your questions too!

For the entry requirements
http://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/#tabs=2

Good luck to all!������

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Heyya! I would like to know how your UKCAT scores were like? What were the sort of questions were you asked during the interview?
Reply 2
Original post by liandra.rams
Heyya! I would like to know how your UKCAT scores were like? What were the sort of questions were you asked during the interview?

The lowest score from the TSR applicants last year was 700 however, this does change on a yearly basis dependant on scores of applicants.I would check with Glasgow how they are using the UKCAT this year as last year interviews were given on solely being in top 600 UKCAT scores. .The wording on the admissions page this year has changed and says that the UKCAT score will be used equally with other aspects of the application.

In regards to the interview you find lots of informations regarding what areas questions will relate to here

http://www.gla.ac.uk/schools/medicine/mus/medicineadmissions/mbchbinterviews/

We can't give you specific examples as that would give people an unfair advantage sadly.If you google medical school interview questions it will give you an array of example questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hiya- I just sat my UKCAT and got an average of 647.5 with Band 1 in the SJT, I know that Glasgow have recently changed how they use the UKCAT (thank god) but I was wondering how my score compared to other people hoping to apply to Glasgow?
Reply 4
Hi Guys, I am a reapplicant I got:
GCSE: 5A* 2A 3B
A level: 2A*1A , AS level: 4As
UKCAT: 682.5 SJT-band1

Worth applying ?
Thanks happy to help
Reply 5
Original post by chagsha

Worth applying ?
Thanks happy to help

You should be fine to apply to Glasgow with those stats :smile:
Hello All,

I was just wondering as to whether anyone knows what Glasgow's UKCAT policy is? They are extremely vague about it on the website.

I have a score of 660, Band 1.
I have achieved my A2s, with 3As (but remarking Chemistry to hopefully get an A*) and an A in my AS subject I dropped.
My GCSEs are 8A*s, 2As.

Do you think it's worth applying to Glasgow? Or is it too risky?
Reply 7
It look likes there policy has changed from previous years and moved away from UKCAT being sole basis of getting an interview.Give the admissions team a phone or email as they may give you a more in depth response in to how they are using it this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I rung up Glasgow today. They're really being quite vague about this new selection process, saying "we consider everything together". If anyone can get some more precise data on admissions, that would be really appreciated.

Anyway, from what they said, last year they gave people interviews with UKCATs between 2570-3490. The applicant to interview ratio last year was roughly 2000: 600/700. There are 250 places.

And also, from what they said, it seemed like they don't really care about your GCSEs much (but i could be wrong about that).

Anyway, good luck with all your applications!
Reply 9
is glasgow pbl? also is it okay to apply with 680 on the ukcat ?
Original post by meddyg_dyfodol
Hiya- I just sat my UKCAT and got an average of 647.5 with Band 1 in the SJT, I know that Glasgow have recently changed how they use the UKCAT (thank god) but I was wondering how my score compared to other people hoping to apply to Glasgow?

Last year, the cut-off was above 700 so I am not sure. However, the average is lower this year and if you have really outstanding everything else, you may be in with a shot.
Original post by chagsha

Worth applying ?
Thanks happy to help

Glasgow rejected <700 ukcat applicants pre-interview for 2014 entry I think. I'm not sure I would apply.
Original post by chagsha
x

Original post by Medic applicant
Glasgow rejected <700 ukcat applicants pre-interview for 2014 entry I think. I'm not sure I would apply.

As I just said to you on the other thread, the Average this year is significantly lower than last year, therefore using last years stats is very inaccurate.

Chagsha, judging by this years preliminary average, you may be in with a good change of an interview.
Original post by Joanne9495
Last year, the cut-off was above 700 so I am not sure. However, the average is lower this year and if you have really outstanding everything else, you may be in with a shot.

outstanding everything else made no difference last year. They took everyone who met the minimum academic requirements (which was almost everyone who applied) and then ranked by ukcat to create the interview list. So ukcat was key last year. Not sure about this year.
Original post by Nerd44
is glasgow pbl? also is it okay to apply with 680 on the ukcat ?

I can't help with the UKCAT thing because it has changed since I got in. Glasgow is no longer a PBL course but you do 2 hrs of PBL per week (1 scenario) most of the time but sometimes do 4 hrs per week (for like 8 weeks of first year). I think the balance of PBL/lectures is good. Enough lectures to know the basics and PBL to actually remember stuff :smile:
Reply 15
Thinking about reapplying here however I applied last year with a UKCAT score of 702.5 and didn't get an interview, despite the fact the cut off was apparently 700. Not sure whether its worth it.
Hey! I'm thinking of applying here but I got AS grades of ABBC, (C in Bio - with extenuating circumstances). I am resitting two Biology modules as well as a Chemistry module as I was only a few marks off an A. Does anyone know the resit policy for AS resits? I have emailed them but they are yet to get back to me, but my application needs to be in college by the end of the week, latest... Thanks!
Reply 17
Original post by nnall
Hey! I have a First Class Honours degree in Physiology from Glasgow Uni and thinking of applying here. Got a UKCAT of 655 and SJT band 1, do you think it's worthwhile applying here, or is my UKCAT too low?
Thanks

It's hard to know what UKCAT score is necessary to give you the best chance since the change in admissions policy.No one seems to know what will help get you an interview unlike previous years where you knew you just had to get a high UKCAT score.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone help me out here? On the entry requirements for graduate applicants in a non science related degree it states that "Applicants whose degree was obtained more than five years from the date of entry, or graduated in a non-science degree will be required to have A-level/Scottish Higher Chemistry and A-level/AS Level/Scottish Higher Biology to be sat within five years of entry (minimum grades AB, or AA with AS Level Biology)."

Does this mean that I can apply with a scottish higher A in biology and B in chemistry or would you take it to mean that the A has to be in chemistry?
Reply 19
I would presume it wouldn't matter as doesn't specifically say A is need in chemistry.I would give them a phone to confirm that way you know for sure.I was in a similar position last year but lucky enough to a A in both the highers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply