The Student Room Group

Who are your favourite poets everybody?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Pokémontrainer
I'll have to look at Byron's works then, sounds compelling- scandal always adds to a poet's work! It can be quite hard to find good translations for some poetry, which is unfortunate.
I'm going to do English Lit at A-level, but I want to be a barrister when I'm older! :biggrin:

Ah, French poetry is something I'd love to read in the future. Though I have never learned French well, and I never learned any other language at all. Haha, good luck with all the barristering when you're older! :yep:
Original post by Caedus
Ah, French poetry is something I'd love to read in the future. Though I have never learned French well, and I never learned any other language at all. Haha, good luck with all the barristering when you're older! :yep:

Speaking of French, I'm learning it at the moment to improve employment prospects in the future! I'm incorporating literature into the learning process. :biggrin: Thank you; good luck with finance!
English- Edward Thomas, Shakespeare, and Charlotte Bronte.

Foreign- Ilama Iqba (Pakistani Urdu Poet) and Faiz Ahmad Faiz.
Larkin is probably my favourite. He can be pretty pessimistic but I love his blunt style. 'Afternoons' and 'Talking In Bed' are brilliant.

I also like Wordsworth, I was never a fan until I decided to use him for my A2 coursework - became a bit of a convert after studying his work in-depth :tongue:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 45
[QUOTE="Caedus;49076334"]
Original post by paddey7

I've found Lord Byron to be a kind of gateway drug into the Napoleonic era. After reading his biography I suddenly found myself landed with a number of historically interesting people to look up—Castlereagh, Napoleon, Wellington, De Quincy, Shelly, Wordsworth, Southey to name but a few.

Lord Byron is my great favorite. I actually have a second edition 1814 copy of Childe Harold along with a number of his great works such as Don Juan and a later edition of Hours of Idleness. He has also written a number awfully good non-narrative poems such as Son of the Sleepless, She Walks in Beauty, My Soul is Dark, etc. One of the chief reasons I find him so compelling is that he lived one of the most scandalous lives anyone could ever live—which is why his biography makes a very interesting read!

I haven't had the chance to venture outside of England/Scotland when it comes to poetry, unfortunately. I'll get there eventually and I'll be sure to check out Rumi and Havfiz. Nope, I'm sadly an accounting and finance student. Are you studying/intending to study English Lit?

You should also perhaps look into the radical essayist Hazlitt from this period, I remember discovering him when I was younger and enjoying his style of writing

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I like William Wordsworth and John Keats the most! Riveting stuff! I didn't use to understand poetry at all, those childish ones, until I read the classics! :eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 47
[QUOTE="paddey7;49081748"]
Original post by Caedus

You should also perhaps look into the radical essayist Hazlitt from this period, I remember discovering him when I was younger and enjoying his style of writing

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'll look into this fellow you speak of as I do enjoy reading essays, especially ones written long ago. :yep:
Reply 48
[QUOTE="Caedus;49092996"]
Original post by paddey7

I'll look into this fellow you speak of as I do enjoy reading essays, especially ones written long ago. :yep:

I would share that enjoyment, he is supposedly one of the great critics of the English language

Posted from TSR Mobile
Alfred Tennyson, Robert Frost, John Donne, Sylvia Plath.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending