The Student Room Group

Who are your favourite poets everybody?

My personal favourite, from what I've read, is probably Oscar Wilde. Maybe Emily Dickinson and John Donne also.

And who understands? Not me, because if I did I would forgive it all. - John Donne

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No one actually talks about anything remotely intellectual around here....it's just the most banal things
Reply 2
Rakim
Shakespeare, his sonnets are beautiful...
Original post by Aurangzeb
My personal favourite, from what I've read, is probably Oscar Wilde. Maybe Emily Dickinson and John Donne also.

�And who understands? Not me, because if I did I would forgive it all.� - John Donne

Popped this in books and literature for you :smile:
Lord Alfred Tennyson, William Shakespeare and Edgar Allan Poe are my favourite poets.
One of my favourite pieces of poetry has to be 'Alone' by Edgar Allan Poe and another beautiful piece by him is 'Annabel Lee'. Has anyone read these poems? :smile:
Thomas Hardy, Philip Larkin and John Keats are my favourites and for all very different reasons.

Hardy wrote the most amazing poems concerning grief, guilt and loss.
Larkin I like, as his poetry is down to earth, and although rather pessimistic at times, I find his is writing beautiful with a real edge to it.
Keats though is simply the most romantic of all the romantic poets.
To name a few; Robert Frost, Wilfred Owen, Edgar Allan Poe and Elizabeth Barrett Browning!

Original post by Pokémontrainer
Lord Alfred Tennyson, William Shakespeare and Edgar Allan Poe are my favourite poets.
One of my favourite pieces of poetry has to be 'Alone' by Edgar Allan Poe and another beautiful piece by him is 'Annabel Lee'. Has anyone read these poems? :smile:

Agreed, 'Alone' is a wonderful poem! I also love 'To _____' (it starts "I heed not my earthly lot...").
Reply 8
I'm quite fond of the hollow men by T.S Eliot

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Also North by Seamus heaney, one of his lesser known poems but one I enjoy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Byron, Shelly, Shakespeare and Owen.
Reply 11
Original post by Caedus
Byron, Shelly, Shakespeare and Owen.

Byron was good but he really did hate Castlereagh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by chrisdefish
To name a few; Robert Frost, Wilfred Owen, Edgar Allan Poe and Elizabeth Barrett Browning!

Agreed, 'Alone' is a wonderful poem! I also love 'To _____' (it starts "I heed not my earthly lot...").

I hadn't heard 'To_____' before; it's such a great poem! Poe's writing style is fantastic. :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by paddey7
Byron was good but he really did hate Castlereagh

Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, so true.

"Posterity will never survey, a grave more nobler than this. Here lie the bones of Castlereagh; stop, traveller, and piss."
Reply 14
2pac, thug poet.

Ved Vyas for the Mahabharata.
Percy byshee Shelly- ozymandias
Original post by Aurangzeb

�And who understands? Not me, because if I did I would forgive it all.� - John Donne

Philip Larkin.

Tells it like it is, even 50 years on :moon:

"The traffic parts to let go by
Brings closer what is left to come,
And dulls to distance all we are."
Keats, Emily Dickinson ('One need not be a Chamber - to be Haunted' is just beautiful!), Owen and Sassoon are probably my favourites. A-level English Lit may have resulted in the last three... :tongue:
Has to be W.H Auden:

"If equal affection cannot be,
Let the more loving one be me."

*faints at the emotion*
Reply 19
Original post by Caedus
Haha, so true.

"Posterity will never survey, a grave more nobler than this. Here lie the bones of Castlereagh, stop traveller, and piss."

I know lol, shelly hated him too i think , which always reminds me of a line of a French observor
" Was England to be allowed to perish to please the poets"
Castlereagh was not treated kindly by posterity despite being a great diplomat lol
Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply