The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Self-Catered related questions

I'm coming to Lancaster for a year abroad from Toronto. International students have to stay in self-catered residence. I have a few questions:
1) Do the kitchens have basic supplies (cups, plates, cutlery, cookware) or does everyone bring their own?
2) Does everyone get their own fridge and cupboard to lock up their food and things or is it all open?
3) What are the options for meal cards and what kind of food can you get with it? Does it give you a special discount or is just like a card with money on it so you don't have to pay cash?
Thanks
Reply 1
Hey!

1. You have to bring to bring/buy your own pots, pans, dishes, cutlery etc. If you don't have enough space to transport your own stuff across then Wilkos in town is generally a good bet for buying cheap kitchen stuff.

2. Each kitchen is generally designed so that each occupant has one/two cupboards and a drawer each (the exact amount of cupboard space varies slightly depending on the accommodation/college so I can only really speak for Furness Standard but I think its roughly the same wherever you are). Each person also gets at least one fridge shelf each. There are no locks on the cupboards/fridges, but you're unlikely to see anything more than the odd bit of milk go missing!

3. I know you can get a meal card which is valid at various outlets on campus, although IMO its pretty expensive and I prefer the flexibility (and reduced cost) of cooking for myself...but a quick google brought this up: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/eat/eatatrefuel.php (look at the FAQs which says whats included, etc) :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Wsxboy
Hey!

1. You have to bring to bring/buy your own pots, pans, dishes, cutlery etc. If you don't have enough space to transport your own stuff across then Wilkos in town is generally a good bet for buying cheap kitchen stuff.

2. Each kitchen is generally designed so that each occupant has one/two cupboards and a drawer each (the exact amount of cupboard space varies slightly depending on the accommodation/college so I can only really speak for Furness Standard but I think its roughly the same wherever you are). Each person also gets at least one fridge shelf each. There are no locks on the cupboards/fridges, but you're unlikely to see anything more than the odd bit of milk go missing!

3. I know you can get a meal card which is valid at various outlets on campus, although IMO its pretty expensive and I prefer the flexibility (and reduced cost) of cooking for myself...but a quick google brought this up: http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/eat/eatatrefuel.php (look at the FAQs which says whats included, etc) :smile:

Thanks… wow so 50 pounds a week plus at least another 50 if you actually want to eat… that's a lot. I'm really trying to wrap my head around the idea of sharing a kitchen… I live alone in Toronto so it's just strange

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending