The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever achieved 6 A grades at Advanced Higher in one sitting?

Just wondering out of curiosity. I know some have achieved 5 A's at AH in one sitting but I'm not sure whether 6 A's at AH in one sitting has ever been achieved.

Anyone know?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Who cares? What would be the need?
Reply 2
Original post by ddhurst
Just wondering out of curiosity. I know some have achieved 5 A's at AH in one sitting but I'm not sure whether 6 A's at AH in one sitting has ever been achieved.

Anyone know?

There will be at least someone who has done it.
Original post by ddhurst

Anyone know?

From the last few years of statistics, 5 is the most anyone's done.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Ecasx

Why do people do 4 or 5? What difference does one or two more make?
They've got to fill that big headed ego with something...don't they?
Reply 6
Original post by iNeedHelpNao
They've got to fill that big headed ego with something...don't they?

Not necessarily. Perhaps you just took six subjects you were interested in to AH level and happened to get A grades in all of them.
Speaking of statistics, when does the DETAILED stats report for 2014 come out? Does anyone know? I know they published grade boundaries and % of those who attained As, Bs etc. but the past year's seemed much more detailed?
Reply 8
Original post by Ecasx

What's the need of doing 7 Highers?
Original post by ddhurst
Not necessarily. Perhaps you just took six subjects you were interested in to AH level and happened to get A grades in all of them.

If you are planning on taking 6, make sure that you are not underestimating the work load that they have. Many people say one Advanced Higher requires the same amount of work as 2 Highers.
Original post by _Miriam_
Speaking of statistics, when does the DETAILED stats report for 2014 come out? Does anyone know? I know they published grade boundaries and % of those who attained As, Bs etc. but the past year's seemed much more detailed?

The annual statistical report is released in March/April time :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pennyarcade
If you are planning on taking 6, make sure that you are not underestimating the work load that they have. Many people say one Advanced Higher requires the same amount of work as 2 Highers.

It depends. In many cases, doing a crash higher in a completely new subject is much harder than an AH when you've already done the Higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by Memetics
What's the need of doing 7 Highers?

It gives you a great base for future study, as well as a nice 'range' of knowledge across various subjects. I think at Higher level it would be workable, but Advanced Higher seems a bit too much to be worth it.
Reply 13
UCAS rewards breadth over depth. Someone with 8 highers will have more UCAS points than someone who did 4 highers and then the same 4 subjects at AH. Not that UCAS points are really used as much as grades by universities.
Original post by Asklepios
It depends. In many cases, doing a crash higher in a completely new subject is much harder than an AH when you've already done the Higher.

Posted from TSR Mobile
no, just no... AH requires so much more effort on your part, investigations/dissertations are awful and time consuming and overall hard, highers are a breeze compared! Even crash highers, yeah you have to do some learning by yourself for what you've missed in standard grade, but there's not nearly as much work as AH

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RD208
UCAS rewards breadth over depth. Someone with 8 highers will have more UCAS points than someone who did 4 highers and then the same 4 subjects at AH. Not that UCAS points are really used as much as grades by universities.

I'm pretty sure that's not true, as AH C is better than a H A in terms of Ucas points, but don't quote me on that, not entirely sure!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wait, what?
no, just no... AH requires so much more effort on your part, investigations/dissertations are awful and time consuming and overall hard, highers are a breeze compared! Even crash highers, yeah you have to do some learning by yourself for what you've missed in standard grade, but there's not nearly as much work as AH

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wasn't talking about volume of workload, but rather conceptual difficulty. For example, AH maths is just a small step up from Higher with a few new concepts. Whereas if you crash say H Chemistry, there will be a lot more new things to get your head round.

Investigations aren't really challenging, but do require a lot of work.
It is because 8 Highers is 8 x (number of UCAS points for each grade at Higher) whereas 4H + 4AH (same subjects) is 4 x (number of UCAS points for 4AH) as the UCAS points not counted for the 4 Highers as they are in the same subjects.

eg. 8 Highers at grade A = 8 x 80 = 640 UCAS points
4 Highers + 4 AH all at A = (4 x 80) + (4 x 130) - (4 x 80) = 520 UCAS points.

As for the subject of the thread, there would be no point on someone doing 6AH as they will never mean anything. They won't help you get a place at university anymore than 3AH and after university, your school grades count for nothing.
I'm pretty sure that's not true, as AH C is better than a H A in terms of Ucas points, but don't quote me on that, not entirely sure!

It is because 8 Highers is 8 x (number of UCAS points for each grade at Higher) whereas 4H + 4AH (same subjects) is 4 x (number of UCAS points for 4AH) as the UCAS points not counted for the 4 Highers as they are in the same subjects.

eg. 8 Highers at grade A = 8 x 80 = 640 UCAS points
4 Highers + 4 AH all at A = (4 x 80) + (4 x 130) - (4 x 80) = 520 UCAS points.

As for the subject of the thread, there would be no point on someone doing 6AH as they will never mean anything. They won't help you get a place at university anymore than 3AH and after university, your school grades count for nothing.
Reply 19

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm crashing Human Bio and doing AH Maths.

Teaching myself Unit 1 Human Bio took so much longer than self-teaching Unit 1 AH Maths.

Quick Reply

Latest