The Student Room Group

Has anyone ever achieved 6 A grades at Advanced Higher in one sitting?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ecasx

Actually, yes you can. In the new Advanced Highers they're two separate courses, 'Advanced Higher Applied Maths' and 'Mathematics of Mechanics'.

Exams will probably be taking place at the same time tho.
Just accept you're wrong?
Reply 41
Original post by greenladybird
Exams will probably be taking place at the same time tho.
Just accept you're wrong?

That's no problem at all, you can sit any two exams at the same time - you just get put in a room without a phone / any form of contact, do one early, then do the other as normal
Original post by Ecasx
Self-teaching AH Chem at home and 6 periods a week in school, so I have time for the investigation.

In the AH Maths class.

In the AH Physics class.

6 highers, 3 AH.

Shut up.

Don't worry, AH bandings will be as good as they get.

Actually, yes you can. In the new Advanced Highers they're two separate courses, 'Advanced Higher Applied Maths' and 'Mathematics of Mechanics'.

Interesting. So is the applied maths course only statistics now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 43
Original post by Asklepios
Interesting. So is the applied maths course only statistics now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes

Edit, it's just called 'Statistics' now. Sleek.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Ecasx

Those courses don't even exist yet.

Original post by Ecasx
That's no problem at all, you can sit any two exams at the same time - you just get put in a room without a phone / any form of contact, do one early, then do the other as normal

Pretty certain you can't do AH Stats and Mechanics in the same year. The last section of the paper is the same for both Stats and Mechanics so they're not going to let you just answer the same questions twice...

Actually, yes. My friend did this last year. However, the sixth AH was in Mandarin, a language in which she is already fluent. Either way, it's not a good idea - she got rejected from Cambridge anyway and her offer from Imperial (where she is now) only addressed 3 subjects, because they honestly don't care how many you do aside from the required 3. You're better off focusing your efforts into three or four.

EDIT: Also, you can't take both the Mech and Stats exams. I did the entirety of both courses last year but was only allowed to sit one exam - it's because they can't award you two grades for the same subject, "Applied Maths" (and also likely because of what ddhurst pointed out, that 1/3 of the questions are the same.) That may be changing but I know that it wasn't possible last year, at least according to the teachers I spoke to who I believe had contacted the SQA about it before.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by AmisThysia
Actually, yes. My friend did this last year. However, the sixth AH was in Mandarin, a language in which she is already fluent. Either way, it's not a good idea - she got rejected from Cambridge anyway and her offer from Imperial (where she is now) only addressed 3 subjects, because they honestly don't care how many you do aside from the required 3. You're better off focusing your efforts into three or four.

You're saying she got 6A's at advanced higher, and Cambridge rejected her?!? Did she get an interview? Or is it just because they're snobby as to who they let in?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wait, what?
You're saying she got 6A's at advanced higher, and Cambridge rejected her?!? Did she get an interview? Or is it just because they're snobby as to who they let in?

At the time of her application and interview she was in the process of doing the AHs; I should have clarified. She did get an interview, and was pooled, but not accepted in the end. Maybe she would have been accepted had she reapplied this year, but as she got into Imperial she was quite happy to go there. As for whether they're snobby, of course they are, but they also have no choice but to be. They have a large number of ridiculously competitive applications - sometimes the only way to differentiate is by splitting hairs. It's entirely possible my friend just got unlucky.
My point was that doing a large amount of subjects doesn't actually help you with getting into good universities. They'd rather you focused your efforts and knew your chosen subject really in-depth.
At the time of her application and interview she was in the process of doing the AHs; I should have clarified. She did get an interview, and was pooled, but not accepted in the end. Maybe she would have been accepted had she reapplied this year, but as she got into Imperial she was quite happy to go there. As for whether they're snobby, of course they are, but they also have no choice but to be. They have a large number of ridiculously competitive applications - sometimes the only way to differentiate is by splitting hairs. It's entirely possible my friend just got unlucky.
My point was that doing a large amount of subjects doesn't actually help you with getting into good universities. They'd rather you focused your efforts and knew your chosen subject really in-depth.

Ah I see, well that's incredibly unfortunate! Not that I would ever want to go to Oxbridge, (or any english uni tbh, tuition fees D: ) well I guess, I meant snobby as in only take those from well off backgrounds, with mummy and daddy owning lots of land -.- I was just confused as to what you meant by only taking 3 and focusing more on them, for if you can get A's in all of them, then you don't need to concentrate on just 3? But I get your point :smile: man she must have done a lot of work, 3 is proving to be almost too much for me atm :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wait, what?
Ah I see, well that's incredibly unfortunate! Not that I would ever want to go to Oxbridge, (or any english uni tbh, tuition fees D: ) well I guess, I meant snobby as in only take those from well off backgrounds, with mummy and daddy owning lots of land -.- I was just confused as to what you meant by only taking 3 and focusing more on them, for if you can get A's in all of them, then you don't need to concentrate on just 3? But I get your point :smile: man she must have done a lot of work, 3 is proving to be almost too much for me atm :s-smilie:

On average you'll find a very high percentage of Oxbridge students are from well-off or private-school backgrounds, but that's partially because typically the better-off you are, the nicer the area you live in, the better the school you go to, and the better your education and grades are. Those with the best educations tend to end up at the best institutions, generally - it's pretty logical. Still, many would say that even accounting for this Oxbridge have a very high private-school percentage.

Getting three As isn't enough to get you into Oxbridge etc., as shown by the case example of my friend. You have to go beyond your course and show a natural capability - that's why they conduct interviews and tests rather than making admissions decisions based purely on grades, as there are far too many people with high enough grades for them to differentiate between them without an extra step in the process. It is infinitely better for someone applying for Maths to do three AHs in Maths, Physics, and Applied Maths and to research, self-learn, and read beyond the course than for them to take other, unnecessary subjects on top that won't strengthen their application. Case in point: I did English last year, and it did absolutely nothing to strengthen my application for Physics courses - but did take up a large portion of my time and effort. The time spent on English would have been more effectively spent getting better at Maths and Physics. That's my point.
And yes, she did work extremely hard, and she's also very bloody clever. :P But to be honest, the thing that probably helped her most was being organised and motivated. I did four (and a half - see the "Mech and Stats" point I made in my first post in this thread) AHs last year, and the thing that made my life harder wasn't the pace or difficulty, but just being organised and motivated enough to do work on time. The same goes for many people at H and AH.
On average you'll find a very high percentage of Oxbridge students are from well-off or private-school backgrounds, but that's partially because typically the better-off you are, the nicer the area you live in, the better the school you go to, and the better your education and grades are. Those with the best educations tend to end up at the best institutions, generally - it's pretty logical. Still, many would say that even accounting for this Oxbridge have a very high private-school percentage.

Getting three As isn't enough to get you into Oxbridge etc., as shown by the case example of my friend. You have to go beyond your course and show a natural capability - that's why they conduct interviews and tests rather than making admissions decisions based purely on grades, as there are far too many people with high enough grades for them to differentiate between them without an extra step in the process. It is infinitely better for someone applying for Maths to do three AHs in Maths, Physics, and Applied Maths and to research, self-learn, and read beyond the course than for them to take other, unnecessary subjects on top that won't strengthen their application. Case in point: I did English last year, and it did absolutely nothing to strengthen my application for Physics courses - but did take up a large portion of my time and effort. The time spent on English would have been more effectively spent getting better at Maths and Physics. That's my point.
And yes, she did work extremely hard, and she's also very bloody clever. :P But to be honest, the thing that probably helped her most was being organised and motivated. I did four (and a half - see the "Mech and Stats" point I made in my first post in this thread) AHs last year, and the thing that made my life harder wasn't the pace or difficulty, but just being organised and motivated enough to do work on time. The same goes for many people at H and AH.

Yeah that all makes sense I guess :smile: a friend of a friend was offered a place, he had done a baccalaureate in S6 which is loads of work and is loads of Ucas points etc (I looked to do one this year, but my school is small and none of the teachers had ever done one, so they said they would be of no help so I decided against it :s-smilie: ) ah yeah I get you! :biggrin: by that logic I really shouldn't have taken biology this year, but I enjoyed it last year and I really couldn't be bothered with some of the stuff in maths :P motivation and organisation are exactly what I need to work on! I've had 2 weeks of doing nothing to sort of my 3 investigations and do the set revision homework, but no, I've left it all to the last sunday :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SerLorasTyrell
But I can solve this

A circular drumskin has a supporting rim p=a. If the rim is twisted so that it is displaced vertically by a small amount ε(sinΦ+2sin2Φ), where Φ is the azimuthal angle with respect to the given radius, find the displacement u(p,Φ) over the entire drumskin.

So why wouldn't they let me in?

Posted from TSR Mobile

What's the answer then? :tongue:
Original post by langlitz
What's the answer then? :tongue:

42, I swear this question was so easy that it could have been in the hypothetical Nat4 exam.
Original post by TheFOMaster
42, I swear this question was so easy that it could have been in the hypothetical Nat4 exam.

Probably a 2 mark question haha
to get 6 in advanced higher then you would have had to have done 6 in highers . getting 6 As in highers is a very impressive achievement and to do the same in Advanced highers would be even more impressive but i would worry about a school that lets pupils do this as you would have to put yourself under a lot of pressure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending