The Student Room Group

I'm training to run a half marathon, AMA!

Hey guys!

You know the drill by now :wink:

Background info:
-Training for the Bupa Great Birmingham Run in October
-Only ran for the 3rd time today, ever
-Raising money for Cure Leukaemia (https://www.justgiving.com/Hayleymarathonmission/), if any of you feel like assisting :tongue:
-Me and running do NOT go together

Ask away people!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Target time?
Original post by Reue
Target time?

I'm being very realistic and just aiming for anything sub-3, which may sound horrifically slow, but considering my current pace averages 13min/mile, I think is a nice target :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Energy_Purple
I'm being very realistic and just aiming for anything sub-3, which may sound horrifically slow, but considering my current pace averages 13min/mile, I think is a nice target :smile:

Even finishing is a great achievement! Good luck
Ooh, I know someone who could benefit from your expertise...

Slowbro93
Original post by Reue
Even finishing is a great achievement! Good luck

Thank you very much :smile:
Can I bite you?
Original post by The vampire
Can I bite you?

Hmm, I don't know, you may fancy yourself some Luis Suarez hotshot, but I'm no Giorgio Chiellini, I don't want you biting below your standards after all :wink:
Have you done a half marathon before?
Original post by moonkatt
Have you done a half marathon before?

Never! Before last week, I had never actually run any distance whatsoever. I'm not so much looking to run as a "serious" competitor, I'm definitely in it for the fundraising aspect side of things more. It's just a big race that happens to be happening when I'm in the area (I go to uni in Birmingham), and it acts as a really good motivator.
Never! Before last week, I had never actually run any distance whatsoever. I'm not so much looking to run as a "serious" competitor, I'm definitely in it for the fundraising aspect side of things more. It's just a big race that happens to be happening when I'm in the area (I go to uni in Birmingham), and it acts as a really good motivator.

Yeah, they can be really good fun, I've done the Great North Run a couple of times and the atmosphere there is amazing. I've thought about doing the one in Brum, but never got round to it.
Reply 11
Hey guys!

You know the drill by now :wink:

Background info:
-Training for the Bupa Great Birmingham Run in October
-Only ran for the 3rd time today, ever

-Raising money for Cure Leukaemia (https://www.justgiving.com/Hayleymarathonmission/), if any of you feel like assisting :tongue:
-Me and running do NOT go together

Ask away people!

This is worrying.
Yeah, they can be really good fun, I've done the Great North Run a couple of times and the atmosphere there is amazing. I've thought about doing the one in Brum, but never got round to it.

That's cool! I have a half marathon based in my home town (Hastings), which I'm not here for because it falls in the middle of exam period, so I'm planning on using that as my training route :P

I've always wanted to do a half marathon, but I always made excuses. I saw that my university was looking for runners to act as ambassadors for the project they collaborate on with Cure Leukaemia, and I thought that by signing up, I would no longer have any excuse not to do it now!
That's cool! I have a half marathon based in my home town (Hastings), which I'm not here for because it falls in the middle of exam period, so I'm planning on using that as my training route :P

I've always wanted to do a half marathon, but I always made excuses. I saw that my university was looking for runners to act as ambassadors for the project they collaborate on with Cure Leukaemia, and I thought that by signing up, I would no longer have any excuse not to do it now!

It's a good time of year to do it too, not too warm out. Which university are you at if you don't mind me asking?
Original post by Ronove
This is worrying.

I know, I do find it worrying to a degree as well, but I'm not going to treat it as a "serious" run. I know that I won't be in the physical condition I'd need to be in, so most of the route will probably be done as a combination of slow jog/walk. Considering I walk at least 7 miles a day (round trip to work), I know what I can currently do, and am going to use that as my base line.
It's a good time of year to do it too, not too warm out. Which university are you at if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! I went on a jog today and just about melted in the heat!

I'm just about to go into my second year at University of Birmingham :smile:
Reply 16
I know, I do find it worrying to a degree as well, but I'm not going to treat it as a "serious" run. I know that I won't be in the physical condition I'd need to be in, so most of the route will probably be done as a combination of slow jog/walk. Considering I walk at least 7 miles a day (round trip to work), I know what I can currently do, and am going to use that as my base line.

But walking is absolutely nothing like running. I could happily walk for miles before I took up running a couple of years back. It still took me months to be comfortable running 5k. Slowly.
Original post by Ronove
But walking is absolutely nothing like running. I could happily walk for miles before I took up running a couple of years back. It still took me months to be comfortable running 5k. Slowly.

I completely understand what you're saying, and I appreciate you opinion on the situation. I'm not naïve in regards to the task, or deluding myself into thinking I can run a serious half marathon on 2 months training. All I want to achieve before October is increasing my baseline fitness. If I only run 1 mile and then walk the rest of the marathon, then so be it, but I don't feel like there is any shame in feeling out what I can do :smile:
Original post by Fizzel
I think he's got plenty of time, considering the time he's aiming for. A half in 3 hours is barely running, I break from a walk at around 6kph. If he can maintain a light jog, or commit to runs with breaks you should be able to do your target time.

What's your training plan like?

*She :wink:

My current training plan is to run 4 days a week with 3 rest days. I'm currently working on jogging for specific lengths of time on the first 2 days a week (20-30 mins), and then for a specific distance on the other 2 days a week (So far have gone from 0.97-2.1 miles over 5 days), which my plan being to gradually increase them both as my baseline fitness increases.

Outside of running, it's trying to watch my weight and keep hydrated because I'm at work for the summer. Once I get back to university in September, I'll be adding some weights and core strength training as well.
:five:

So I'm currently working towards being able to run a half marathon as I've entered Tough Mudder with my jitsu club (we're raising money to fund towards self defence in inner city London schools). At the moment I can run 6.5 miles in just over an hour but fatigue in the final mile. Any tips?

Quick Reply

Latest