The Student Room Group

Not sure if I should do Geography or Environmental Science at uni

So I want to either do Geography or Environmental Science at uni but I'm not sure which.
Can people who've chosen to do these two courses tell me what made them chose to do that one and not the other? :smile:

The grades wanted for Environmental are often lower than the grades for Geography. Is Environmental not seen as 'good' degree as Geography?
Reply 1
I was in the same position as you. I'm hoping to do ES this september and from all my research ES>Geography. Whilst they are both broad degrees ES has a lot more specific depth to it and actual career options in the field for once you graduate. Which is almost impossible with just a geography degree.

A factor why it's much easier to get onto maybe because it's a new course and not many uni's have established setups for it- so they want as many people as possible to sign up. Where as most geography departments have been around for years.
I think Environmental Science is slightly more respected than Geography. Don't quote me on that though. Look closely at the course structure for both, there may be more emphasis on particular topics so that will probably affect your final decision.
I'd guess they ask for lower grades because some uni's do ES as half-and-half Biology and Geography rather than straight ES and they think that'll scare people off,. Also ES enrolment numbers are much lower than for Geography and smaller courses tend to ask for lower grades as they have less reason to keep people out.
I chose Geography over ES because ES is very heavily based on biology, and I had not taken this at A level. My opinion was that ES had too much science in for me and I wanted something more theoretical than practical.
I think Helloworld is right about the requirements being lower for ES, as the students doing ES at my uni are basically doing joint biology and geography rather than their own modules.
In terms of your career options, i don't think it matters too much between them. I preferred geography as i am interested in tectonics and geomorphology etc, compared to a friend doing ES who prefers topics on ecology and law.

Quick Reply

Latest