The Student Room Group

anyone taken methotrexate?

hi, i am 21 and have rheumatoid arthritis which seems to be getting worse fairly quickly. my doctors have suggested i start taking methotrexate (a weekly injection) to try to slow the spread of the disease.

however i've heard some really bad things about it - having no immune system, hair loss, depression, liver damage and not being allowed to drink are just a few.

does anyone have any experience of this drug who could reassure me (or, indeed, tell me not to go near it!) ? would particularly like to hear from rheumatoid arthritis sufferers but any opinions are welcome!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Spyro93
hi, i am 21 and have rheumatoid arthritis which seems to be getting worse fairly quickly. my doctors have suggested i start taking methotrexate (a weekly injection) to try to slow the spread of the disease.

however i've heard some really bad things about it - having no immune system, hair loss, depression, liver damage and not being allowed to drink are just a few.

does anyone have any experience of this drug who could reassure me (or, indeed, tell me not to go near it!) ? would particularly like to hear from rheumatoid arthritis sufferers but any opinions are welcome!!

I've come across methotrexate tablets before (2.5 mg, 5 mg, and 10 mg strengths), but not the injection form. It is always a weekly dose, and can be used for certain cancers, as well as autoimmune diseases (which is what you would be prescribed it for).

It is very effective for autoimmune disorders and is first-line therapy for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Several studies have shown that methotrexate has reduced symptoms related to rheumatoid arthritis, e.g. joint pain.

I would recommend speaking to your local pharmacist who might be able to advise you on other possible treatments too.
Reply 2
Original post by thegodofgod
I've come across methotrexate tablets before (2.5 mg, 5 mg, and 10 mg strengths), but not the injection form. It is always a weekly dose, and can be used for certain cancers, as well as autoimmune diseases (which is what you would be prescribed it for).

It is very effective for autoimmune disorders and is first-line therapy for the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis. Several studies have shown that methotrexate has reduced symptoms related to rheumatoid arthritis, e.g. joint pain.

I would recommend speaking to your local pharmacist who might be able to advise you on other possible treatments too.

thanks :smile: and yes, i have spoken to two pharmacists, both of whom admitted its a pretty nasty drug in terms of possible side effects experienced by a lot of people. i know it can be very effective at stopping arthritis progressing - but would the side effects outweigh the benefits?
Moved to Health
Original post by Spyro93
thanks :smile: and yes, i have spoken to two pharmacists, both of whom admitted its a pretty nasty drug in terms of possible side effects experienced by a lot of people. i know it can be very effective at stopping arthritis progressing - but would the side effects outweigh the benefits?

I think it's a decision that you have to make yourself. I personally have neither taken methotrexate before, nor suffered from rheumatoid arthritis, so I don't think I'm in a position to advise you to take it / not to take it. I can only suggest going with what your GP / pharmacists have said, because they're the ones who will have managed many patients on that drug for that condition, so will be able to tell you of the comments from patients who may be on that drug.
Like the above poster has said, this is something you need to discuss with your rheumatology team and decide on yourself, none of us are going to be able to make this decision for you. Yes, mehotrexate can be a very nasty drug, but it's also used for a reason, doctors don't prescribe something nasty unless they think a patient is going to benefit from it. You could try having a chat with these guys too: http://www.nras.org.uk/helpline
Reply 6
yeah, im going in again on friday to speak to them about it. i was never going to make a decision based purely on TSR responses but it helps to hear about other people's experiences.

one of the things i was particularly concerned about is not being allowed to drink any alcohol, as its a big part of my social life and having to be permanently teetotal is a bit daunting... i wasnt sure whether the doctors would really sympathise with this?
Original post by Spyro93
yeah, im going in again on friday to speak to them about it. i was never going to make a decision based purely on TSR responses but it helps to hear about other people's experiences.

one of the things i was particularly concerned about is not being allowed to drink any alcohol, as its a big part of my social life and having to be permanently teetotal is a bit daunting... i wasnt sure whether the doctors would really sympathise with this?

They will have considered your age, they were all young at one point and will understand how much drinking can play in people's social lives, what would you rather have though? The freedom to drink when you want to or relief from the symptoms of your RA? I don't know very much about the use of methotrexate for RA so don't know how long you'd be on it or how long you'd have to avoid alcohol for and whether it would be for life or for a period whilst you're having this therapy.
Reply 8
Original post by moonkatt
They will have considered your age, they were all young at one point and will understand how much drinking can play in people's social lives, what would you rather have though? The freedom to drink when you want to or relief from the symptoms of your RA? I don't know very much about the use of methotrexate for RA so don't know how long you'd be on it or how long you'd have to avoid alcohol for and whether it would be for life or for a period whilst you're having this therapy.

if it was a choice between not drinking, or my RA getting worse, obviously i'd have to choose not drinking. but coupled with all the side effects like liver damage, possible infertility etc... im not sure. and i think i would be on it for life as far as i know.

thanks for your advice :smile: i'll keep an eye on this thread just in case anyone replies who has taken methotrexate! i'd like to hear whether it really is as horribly life changing as it seems!
Reply 9
My sister suffers from the same arthritis and had to take methotrexate. She was 16 at the time and took it for about a year I think. It definitely helped to improve the arthritis but she did feel very tired and grumpy on the day after taking it each week. Although she hated taking it at the time, it seems worth it as her condition has improved. You'll be fine! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by addz95
My sister suffers from the same arthritis and had to take methotrexate. She was 16 at the time and took it for about a year I think. It definitely helped to improve the arthritis but she did feel very tired and grumpy on the day after taking it each week. Although she hated taking it at the time, it seems worth it as her condition has improved. You'll be fine! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks for your reply!! :smile: her condition has actually improved?? i was just told that it should stop it from getting worse, no one has said anything about it getting BETTER! this does change my opinion a bit
Original post by Spyro93
if it was a choice between not drinking, or my RA getting worse, obviously i'd have to choose not drinking. but coupled with all the side effects like liver damage, possible infertility etc... im not sure. and i think i would be on it for life as far as i know.

It's something you'll need to weigh up the pros and cons of yourself. If there's a risk of infertility then you should be offered counselling for that (if they don't you could always ask) and potentially the opportunity to bank sperm or eggs (you've not said if you're M/F), the other side effects will have been taken into account by the doctors when making the decision to offer you this treatment. It might be an idea to write down all your questions for them to take with you the next time you go to talk to them so you don't forget anything :smile:

Original post by Spyro93
thanks for your advice :smile: i'll keep an eye on this thread just in case anyone replies who has taken methotrexate! i'd like to hear whether it really is as horribly life changing as it seems!

You're welcome, hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge about it all may come along in a bit.
Reply 12
I've been administered 15mg of methotrexate which i take orally for my psoriasis. I follow up with folic acid the next day and experience no side effects what so ever. However, in the long run I'm concerned about the effect on my immune system.
I was on methotrexate for 2 1/2 years for crohns disease. Luckily, I didn't experience that many side effects, from what I can remember,mainly just a bit of nausea when having the injection etc. I had to come off it though because you can't be on it for too long and I'd already surpassed the two year mark :redface:
Edit: I was allowed to drink alcohol while on it and I took supplements like folic acid to ease side effects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Spyro93
thanks for your reply!! :smile: her condition has actually improved?? i was just told that it should stop it from getting worse, no one has said anything about it getting BETTER! this does change my opinion a bit

No problem! :smile: I guess with a combination of the medicine and just doing a few exercises it improved. She may also be able to tolerate it a bit better now though since she is older and more mature.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
thanks everyone :smile: i do feel quite reassured by all this!!
Original post by Spyro93
thanks everyone :smile: i do feel quite reassured by all this!!

I know this was posted a long time ago, I stumbled on it after searching to see if anyone else was on it on here, but did you ever go onto it?

I've been on the stuff for a few years now and it is definitely one of those things that sits differently with every person. If you're still unsure about it I can give you some more advice or info should you want it :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by nebelbon
I know this was posted a long time ago, I stumbled on it after searching to see if anyone else was on it on here, but did you ever go onto it?

I've been on the stuff for a few years now and it is definitely one of those things that sits differently with every person. If you're still unsure about it I can give you some more advice or info should you want it :smile:

Hi... so actually I DID go on it but reacted quite horribly (felt incredibly sick throughout the entire day to the point that I couldn't go to work or even get out of bed) so they took me off it and put me on something else called enbrel which has been great!
Original post by Spyro93
Hi... so actually I DID go on it but reacted quite horribly (felt incredibly sick throughout the entire day to the point that I couldn't go to work or even get out of bed) so they took me off it and put me on something else called enbrel which has been great!

Ah damn that doesn't sound pleasant. My side effects are mostly nausea, fatigue and generally feeling ill.

I've read good things about enbrel and it's what I'm going to push for.
Reply 19
Original post by nebelbon
Ah damn that doesn't sound pleasant. My side effects are mostly nausea, fatigue and generally feeling ill.

I've read good things about enbrel and it's what I'm going to push for.

yeah, do it, I really recommend it! enbrel has worked amazingly well for me but I did have to fight to be put on it! best of luck!!

Quick Reply

Latest