The Student Room Group

Good uni's for psychology?

I've been to Birmingham, Lincoln andSheffield. I didn't like Sheffield much, and I'm due to visit Keele soon.

I want to stay close to Manchester, but I wouldn't mind going to Wales

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IAmEchelon
I only have a C grade GCSE maths, so please don't suggest any that ask for a B

I've been to Birmingham, Lincoln and Sheffield. I didn't like Sheffield much, and I'm due to visit Keele soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lots of people redo their maths GCSE...
Reply 2
Original post by iammichealjackson
Lots of people redo their maths GCSE...

I have done, but I don't think I've got the B

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3

I've been to Birmingham, Lincoln and Sheffield. I didn't like Sheffield much, and I'm due to visit Keele soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure about their GCSE requirements but after the obvious Oxbridge I believe the best uni for psychology is Bath.

Also, I think (this is a big think please correct me if I'm wrong) they are the only uni to offer a 1 year placement within your psychology degree for a 4 year course which given how competitive psychology careers are would be a massive advantage. However iirc the entry requirements are A*AA or something similar, other than Bath I'm not sure I'm afraid

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm looking at doing psychology (applying in Sept so for the 2015/16 year) and my narrowed down choices so far are Birmingham, Lincoln, Keele and Swansea! So 3/4 are where you are looking at! haha I missed Birmingham open day because it was the same day as Swansea so I'm going to the september one, and I'm going to the Keele open day on 17th august :smile:
Did you like the look of Birmingham?
I'm wanting to do Psychology and Criminology but Birmingham doesn't offer that as an acredited course but I liked the look of the psychology so I might apply if I like the look of it at the open day :smile:
Based on the fact you've looked at other similar ones to me you might like Swansea :smile: But what drew me to Swansea was the established Psychology and Criminology course as in I wouldn't be picking to do the two together but it's a course if you get what I mean? But the psychology talk was good so you might be interested in it?
For just Psychology Birmingham is high in the rankings and so are Cardiff and York :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by loosiemorgan
I'm looking at doing psychology (applying in Sept so for the 2015/16 year) and my narrowed down choices so far are Birmingham, Lincoln, Keele and Swansea! So 3/4 are where you are looking at! haha I missed Birmingham open day because it was the same day as Swansea so I'm going to the september one, and I'm going to the Keele open day on 17th august :smile:
Did you like the look of Birmingham?
I'm wanting to do Psychology and Criminology but Birmingham doesn't offer that as an acredited course but I liked the look of the psychology so I might apply if I like the look of it at the open day :smile:
Based on the fact you've looked at other similar ones to me you might like Swansea :smile: But what drew me to Swansea was the established Psychology and Criminology course as in I wouldn't be picking to do the two together but it's a course if you get what I mean? But the psychology talk was good so you might be interested in it?
For just Psychology Birmingham is high in the rankings and so are Cardiff and York :biggrin:

I loved Birmingham! Have a look at it

I'm going to Keele that day too! And what's Swansea like? Is the accommodation far from the campus? Is it a camps uni? Tell me everything

Posted from TSR Mobile
I loved Birmingham! Have a look at it

I'm going to Keele that day too! And what's Swansea like? Is the accommodation far from the campus? Is it a camps uni? Tell me everything

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha :smile: I liked the location of Swansea because even though I'm not a beachy person it was right by the beach like literally walk out of the campus cross the road and you're on the beach! It was really nice! I felt that even though it was a campus it wasn't too isolated but not right in the town. The sports facilities are just off campus, like a 5 mins walk but even though they are shared with the public they were excellent facilities (there's Wales national 50m swimming pool)

There's on site accommodation as well as a student village. I personally didn't like the village (regardless that I want to live on campus) I just didn't like the feel of it, it was older (not in a nice, characteristic way!) and apparently most of them are being knocked down anyway?! On the side of wanting to live on campus, they weren't unrealistically far away, but just not the uni idea that I have in my mind :smile: You can get a bus thing for £400 a year I think? Something like that and it did make it a lot cheaper and would be good for travelling else where, so it would be a bonus to have that and have an extra use to it. My dad and I walked back to the campus at quite a fast pace and I think it was about 20 mins so I'd say you'd probably want to cycle or get the bus for morning lectures! But the accomodation on the campus was nice :smile: I liked the mix of en-suite and standard. I personally am thinking I would like an en-suite one but at some of the other unis they've been a bit too flash, like I only want it because I want to be able to go the loo without having to worry that they'll be taken! So I don't really want to waste my money and the bathroom was basic but just what I was looking for which was good :smile: I would say the accomdation was close to the psychology area as well which is always good :biggrin: The lecturer said that those who lived on campus usually turned up to morning lectures in their onesies :biggrin:
We didn't get to see Swansea itself but it seemed okay :smile: The only thing that is a negative for me is that the library didn't really stand out like others have but that could be because there wasn't really a tour or anything so maybe it's bigger than it seemed, and really at the end of the day as long as it has books and tables it's a library :biggrin:
Sorry for the long winded answer, tried to fit everything I could think in :biggrin:
Reply 7
haha :smile: I liked the location of Swansea because even though I'm not a beachy person it was right by the beach like literally walk out of the campus cross the road and you're on the beach! It was really nice! I felt that even though it was a campus it wasn't too isolated but not right in the town. The sports facilities are just off campus, like a 5 mins walk but even though they are shared with the public they were excellent facilities (there's Wales national 50m swimming pool)

There's on site accommodation as well as a student village. I personally didn't like the village (regardless that I want to live on campus) I just didn't like the feel of it, it was older (not in a nice, characteristic way!) and apparently most of them are being knocked down anyway?! On the side of wanting to live on campus, they weren't unrealistically far away, but just not the uni idea that I have in my mind :smile: You can get a bus thing for £400 a year I think? Something like that and it did make it a lot cheaper and would be good for travelling else where, so it would be a bonus to have that and have an extra use to it. My dad and I walked back to the campus at quite a fast pace and I think it was about 20 mins so I'd say you'd probably want to cycle or get the bus for morning lectures! But the accomodation on the campus was nice :smile: I liked the mix of en-suite and standard. I personally am thinking I would like an en-suite one but at some of the other unis they've been a bit too flash, like I only want it because I want to be able to go the loo without having to worry that they'll be taken! So I don't really want to waste my money and the bathroom was basic but just what I was looking for which was good :smile: I would say the accomdation was close to the psychology area as well which is always good :biggrin: The lecturer said that those who lived on campus usually turned up to morning lectures in their onesies :biggrin:
We didn't get to see Swansea itself but it seemed okay :smile: The only thing that is a negative for me is that the library didn't really stand out like others have but that could be because there wasn't really a tour or anything so maybe it's bigger than it seemed, and really at the end of the day as long as it has books and tables it's a library :biggrin:
Sorry for the long winded answer, tried to fit everything I could think in :biggrin:

Ooooooo! Think I'll go the next open day, if they still have one hahaha
Have you thought about UCLAN? I'm unsure if it's a "good" uni or not

How come you don't want to live on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooooooo! Think I'll go the next open day, if they still have one hahaha
Have you thought about UCLAN? I'm unsure if it's a "good" uni or not

How come you don't want to live on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just looked it up for you, it says the next one is Saturday 11th October...
Sorry just read back and realised I contradicted my opinion on accomodation cos I put it wrong in one sentence haha I DO want to live on campus :smile: so reading it back just so you know the student village is the one that's away. Also for the year we go, there's going to be a new campus (I think it's for science students? won't affect psychology anyway) which I hope means there's less students wanting the current accomodation is you get what I mean?
I haven't really looked at UCLAN, I'd kinda given up looking at unis until results hahaha I thought I have plenty of time after to start looking again and confirming my thoughts :smile:
Reply 9
Just looked it up for you, it says the next one is Saturday 11th October...
Sorry just read back and realised I contradicted my opinion on accomodation cos I put it wrong in one sentence haha I DO want to live on campus :smile: so reading it back just so you know the student village is the one that's away. Also for the year we go, there's going to be a new campus (I think it's for science students? won't affect psychology anyway) which I hope means there's less students wanting the current accomodation is you get what I mean?
I haven't really looked at UCLAN, I'd kinda given up looking at unis until results hahaha I thought I have plenty of time after to start looking again and confirming my thoughts :smile:

Thank you! Are you nervous for results?
Which exams did you take? What exam board are you on for psychology? Hahahaha sorry for so many questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Reply 11
If I helps I got AABE at AS? I'm aiming for A*AB at A2, if I get good enough grades would the uni's that ask for B grade in GCSE math let it slide?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Bump

I've now got a B at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've now got a B at GCSE

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh yeah I forgot to ask you that!! Well done :smile: I bet you were so happy when you got that result :biggrin:
I've been to Birmingham, Lincoln andSheffield. I didn't like Sheffield much, and I'm due to visit Keele soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

My friend does it at Leeds she loves it!
Cardiff is great for Psychology :smile:

I love my course, and you get pleanty of opportunities for research/ clinical internships.
The professional placement year is also really good, you get so much support with it and so many options.

If you have any questions let me know :smile:
Original post by TolerantBeing
Cardiff is great for Psychology :smile:

I love my course, and you get pleanty of opportunities for research/ clinical internships.
The professional placement year is also really good, you get so much support with it and so many options.

If you have any questions let me know :smile:

Hi, I'm hoping to study Psychology at uni in 2015 and I think Cardiff is going to be my first choice mainly due to it having a placement year! So I'm just wondering, how do you go about choosing the placement? Or is it pre-planned by the lecturers? Also, what is the syllabus like? And is there a library open 24 hours?

Thank-you :-)
Original post by lindzjonez
Hi, I'm hoping to study Psychology at uni in 2015 and I think Cardiff is going to be my first choice mainly due to it having a placement year! So I'm just wondering, how do you go about choosing the placement? Or is it pre-planned by the lecturers? Also, what is the syllabus like? And is there a library open 24 hours?

Thank-you :-)

Well I've just chosen my placement for this year. Basically the school provides you with this online booklet full of organisations/ institutions that offer a placement. Each placement is according to a certain type, clinical, educational, research, occupational etc. You then email your CV and cover letter to a small selection of placements which you'd like to go to. This happens in like 3-5 rounds, so if you have no luck in the first round you can apply for more in the second round and so on. Basically if you want a placement, you'll get one because there's so many. And you can also find a placement independently, so if you have a specific place in mind that isn't in the booklet you can try and organise a placement with that yourself :smile:

The syllabus is really good actually. It covers a good range and you get a really good insight into research.

I do believe the library is open 24 hours!

Any more questions just let me know!
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
Is there any good uni's that offer a placement year apart from Cardiff? Possibly one with lower entry requirements than Cardiff?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Unis that offer placement year:
Bath -A*AA
Cardiff- AAA
Kent- AAA
Surrey- AAA
Loughborough- AAB to ABB
Aston - AAB to ABB
Coventry - BBB
Westminster- BBB
Plymouth- 300 points (e.g. BBB or equivalent)
Portsmouth - 300 points

These are the unis that I looked into when applying to unis last year.

From a quick UCAS apply search apparently leeds also offers it (AAB) but j can't see any mention of in on their website.
Also from the UCAS search there is Bedfordshire (200 points) and UWE Bristol (320 points including points from general studies and/or a dropped AS level)

Hope that helps :smile: feel free to ask any more questions
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest