The Student Room Group

What can you do with a degree in Psychology?

For most jobs within the field, you almost always need to do postgraduate study. It seems that way anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You can do any graduate scheme that doesn't specify a particular degree subject too
A masters to become a qualified psychologist? Or something along those lines.. basically be like Derren Brown. Other than that, it shouldn't limit you to any non-degree specific graduate employment opportunities.

I know a person who holds Psych degrees working M/O in an Investment Bank.
Original post by Abdul-Karim
A masters to become a qualified psychologist? Or something along those lines.. basically be like Derren Brown. Other than that, it shouldn't limit you to any non-degree specific graduate employment opportunities.

I know a person who holds Psych degrees working M/O in an Investment Bank.

You don't need a psychology degree to become a hypnotist like Darren Brown.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lucybuckleyy
You don't need a psychology degree to become a hypnotist like Darren Brown.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No ****.
I'm sure my sister (who has a masters in Psychology) has applied for jobs within the prison service. As well as child and adult mental health.
Besides the obvious careers in psychology (after postgraduate study) any career that involves interaction with people and doesn't require a specific subject.
Original post by DannyYYYY
Besides the obvious careers in psychology (after postgraduate study) any career that involves interaction with people and doesn't require a specific subject.

Psychology doesn't help you interact with people? Obviously they may assume compared to someone doing computer science that your more sociable because of sterotypes :P
Original post by Summer Rose

The degree gives you the basic knowledge so you can go on into social work etc. if you want to be a psychologist under a certain field eg clinical, educational or forensic, then you need to complete a postgrad degree in that field.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iammichealjackson
Psychology doesn't help you interact with people? Obviously they may assume compared to someone doing computer science that your more sociable because of sterotypes :P

No no, I meant in the sense that you can get a career that involves interaction with other people which is like.. almost all careers. I mean as long as it doesn't require a specific subject to apply you can apply for any position really with a psychology degree. :tongue:
Here is a good starting point to consider options: http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_psychology.htm

Quick Reply