The Student Room Group

Deloitte salary?

Hi,

Just a quick question. after the 3 years qualification period will they take you on full time or can they just let you go? need some serious help please.

Thanks
They normally take you on, most people leave voluntarily post qualification.
Reply 2
Original post by ABABAABABA
Hi,

Just a quick question. after the 3 years qualification period will they take you on full time or can they just let you go? need some serious help please.

Thanks

I've never heard of anyone just being let go - I'm not even sure if they can do that. It's a 3 year training contract, but the actual contract of employment isn't fixed length as far as I'm aware. May be wrong on that, but anyway it's unlikely. If you were really bad they'd put you on a performance plan and manage you out of the business gradually.

Anyway outside of extreme situations, expect to be able to stay on. However that doesn't mean you'll necessarily progress, that's down to your own performance.
In London, my Big Four firm pays in audit (2013 salaries):

1st year: 27.5K
2nd year: 28.5K
3rd year: 31-33K
Newly qualified (i.e 4th year): 44-45K

Although it says that you're on an ACA training contract, it doesn't mean that you're fired once its done. The contracts of employment are indefinite but actually most people will do anything they can to leave. I'd say about 90% of people leave within a year of qualification and in fact the firm (which I'm assuming is similar across the other 3 too) has serious problems retaining staff and there's a serious lack of recently qualified staff, up to manager level.
Original post by snakesnake
In London, my Big Four firm pays in audit (2013 salaries):

1st year: 27.5K
2nd year: 28.5K
3rd year: 31-33K
Newly qualified (i.e 4th year): 44-45K

Although it says that you're on an ACA training contract, it doesn't mean that you're fired once its done. The contracts of employment are indefinite but actually most people will do anything they can to leave. I'd say about 90% of people leave within a year of qualification and in fact the firm (which I'm assuming is similar across the other 3 too) has serious problems retaining staff and there's a serious lack of recently qualified staff, up to manager level.

Staff attrition is almost exclusively an audit problem and is the same (in varying degrees) everywhere. But then the audit model dictates that you need a lot of grunts and not many managers so it is necessary. If they wanted auditors to stay longer they would pay them more or give them better conditions!
Reply 5
Original post by Hedgeman49
Staff attrition is almost exclusively an audit problem and is the same (in varying degrees) everywhere. But then the audit model dictates that you need a lot of grunts and not many managers so it is necessary. If they wanted auditors to stay longer they would pay them more or give them better conditions!

Ahem. Did you just call me a "grunt"? Lol :tongue:
Original post by Hedgeman49

That is true, and I agree. However in audit the staff attrition is generally too high even for their business needs because you still need some recently qualified staff to run the audits. As everyone is leaving, increasing amounts of responsibility are being dumped on staff who are ill prepared to take it on.

Original post by M1011
Ahem. Did you just call me a "grunt"? Lol :tongue:

Lets be honest: a lot of what a junior auditor does is essentially a glorified secretary.
Reply 7
Lets be honest: a lot of what a junior auditor does is essentially a glorified secretary.

Can't say I agree with that. You can certainly have a go at audit if you want, but how it relates to being a secretary is beyond me?
Original post by M1011
Can't say I agree with that. You can certainly have a go at audit if you want, but how it relates to being a secretary is beyond me?

Bro, do you even audit?

But seriously: sending out bank letters and chasing them up, taking client signed stats to the partner and having them sign it and then send the stats back, scanning in documentation, drafting representation letters and checking the mail for them.

That is all secretarial work, I did not study finance, economics and accounting at university just so that I could operate the scanner.

Oh well, just one more year to qualification and I'm so out.....
Reply 9
Bro, do you even audit?

But seriously: sending out bank letters and chasing them up, taking client signed stats to the partner and having them sign it and then send the stats back, scanning in documentation, drafting representation letters and checking the mail for them.

That is all secretarial work, I did not study finance, economics and accounting at university just so that I could operate the scanner.

Oh well, just one more year to qualification and I'm so out.....

Where's this? RE bold - same here, but no reason to arbitrarily put it down.

Bank letters = India (or worst cast first year only if your firm doesn't do that yet).
Signed stats = you're talking about a handful of instances a year? Frankly the stats are dull, but also kind of the entire purpose of the job...
Scanning in? Rare these days surely for clients to not have things electronically. I may have operated the scanner about 5 times in 2 years.
Rep letters = complaining about them is ridiculous. Pretty much rules you out of any job if you're not willing to prepare a letter. What job do you aspire to that won't involve drafting occasional letters (which take about 2 minutes usually).
Checking mail, lol serious? Suppose you make the tea too?

If you're going to have a go at audit do it for the right reasons, like the woeful hours, crappy clients and non-value adding admin aspects. The secretary b/s is a stretch.
Original post by M1011
Where's this? RE bold - same here, but no reason to arbitrarily put it down.

Bank letters = India (or worst cast first year only if your firm doesn't do that yet).
Signed stats = you're talking about a handful of instances a year? Frankly the stats are dull, but also kind of the entire purpose of the job...
Scanning in? Rare these days surely for clients to not have things electronically. I may have operated the scanner about 5 times in 2 years.
Rep letters = complaining about them is ridiculous. Pretty much rules you out of any job if you're not willing to prepare a letter. What job do you aspire to that won't involve drafting occasional letters (which take about 2 minutes usually).
Checking mail, lol serious? Suppose you make the tea too?

If you're going to have a go at audit do it for the right reasons, like the woeful hours, crappy clients and non-value adding admin aspects. The secretary b/s is a stretch.

What do you mean where? I'm afraid I don't understand your question.

And I'm not putting it down arbitrarily, I'm putting it down because I'm in it and I just can't wait to get out.

For the bank letters and stats/rep letters: there isn't always a junior around and offshore isn't either (or is somewhat unreliable). Plus some entities have a ridiculous amount of subsidiaries that do nothing but still need signed stats, hence the paperwork.

I stand by my claim: audit work involves a lot of secretarial work if you have nobody to delegate it to.

As they say, audit is 90% documentation and 10% actual auditing. My initial impressions when I signed up was that I would constantly be diving into numbers, analyzing spreadsheets and whatnot.
I do do some of that, but I have realized that most of audit is just dull documentation and messing around with the audit software, the full understanding of which still eludes me.

Yeah I know that drafting letters is common in all sorts of jobs, doesn't mean that I like it though.

Actually I have to admit that my hours haven't been so bad, I've finished after 8PM perhaps 10 times in the past 2 years (and never worked past 9.30). But then again people on other clients (or even a different part of the same client) have worked into the early hours of the morning and even weekends so its blind luck that dictates how long you work for.
I agree snakesnake. It is very different to what I thought it would be. Oh young naive me of 2 years ago. If only I knew how truely soul destroying it really is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending