04/08/2014: Workout A

Squat: 40 kg - 5x5
Bench Press: 30 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 30 kg - 5x5
Shrugs: 60 kg - 3x8
Skull Crushers: EZ + 15 kg - 3x8
Curls: EZ + 15 kg - 3x8
Abs Machine: 45 kg - 3x15

Fairly quick workout, not even a hand full of people in the gym. Did not find the Hyper extensions machine and forgot which exercise it was to compensate, will do it next session.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Reps4Jesus

Shrugs should be 3x8 :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
In as just started ICF on Monday :smile:
in
Reply 7
Original post by Reps4Jesus
Shrugs should be 3x8 :smile:

Just realised, typing error, fixed now. :smile:

Original post by Forum User
In as just started ICF on Monday :smile:

Original post by AreebWithaHat
in

Welcome :smile:
Reply 8
06/08/2014: Workout B

Squat: 40 kg - 3x5
50 kg - 2x5
Dead lift: 70 kg - 2x5
80 kg - 1x5
Standing Press: 30 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 35 kg - 5x8
Close Grip Bench Press: 35 kg - 3x8

Body is still really sore from Monday's session and I believe to have bicep DOMS, can't keep them straight. Gym was again fairly empty and finished in good time. Squats are a problem for me as i just feel sore around the inside and back of my thighs?. Deadlifts were surprisingly good, used chalk as grip needs work. Overall, happy.

P.s As you can see, I've slightly modified the routine. Just getting to grips on what working sets i should be doing and finding out my 5 rep maxes on some exercises. Also, some extra sets surely can't be bad :smile:
Original post by Enginerd.
06/08/2014: Workout B

Squat: 40 kg - 3x5
50 kg - 2x5
Dead lift: 70 kg - 2x5
80 kg - 1x5
Standing Press: 30 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 35 kg - 5x8

Body is still really sore from Monday's session and I believe to have bicep DOMS, can't keep them straight. Gym was again fairly empty and finished in good time. Squats are a problem for me as i just feel sore around the inside and back of my thighs?. Deadlifts were surprisingly good, used chalk as grip needs work. Overall, happy.

P.s As you can see, I've slightly modified the routine. Just getting to grips on what working sets i should be doing and finding out my 5 rep maxes on some exercises. Also, some extra sets surely can't be bad :smile:

Nope, stick to the program.

It may be easy now, but because you're increasing the weight every session you'll stall very quickly.

So stick with a 5x5 working weight for the compound exercises and stick to it.
Reply 11
Original post by tehforum
Nope, stick to the program.
It may be easy now, but because you're increasing the weight every session you'll stall very quickly.
So stick with a 5x5 working weight for the compound exercises and stick to it.

Thanks, I'll stick to the weights and increase from them. Also, wanted to ask, my gym doesn't have any weights less the 2.5 kg, meaning i will have to increase the weight by 5 kg when i hit the 5x5? Is this okay? Or is it too much to increase, especially when, as you said, my working weight becomes heavy.
Thanks, I'll stick to the weights and increase from them. Also, wanted to ask, my gym doesn't have any weights less the 2.5 kg, meaning i will have to increase the weight by 5 kg when i hit the 5x5? Is this okay? Or is it too much to increase, especially when, as you said, my working weight becomes heavy.

oh that might be problematic tbh.

you could buy a two pack of 1.25kg weights off the internet.
Reply 13
Original post by tehforum
oh that might be problematic tbh.

you could buy a two pack of 1.25kg weights off the internet.

I'll check again tomorrow when I go to the gym. Maybe, because no one uses them they just never put them out for use. If they don't I'll buy some from the internet. Hopefully, they do.

I had seen some different coloured weights on the side gathering dust which were of smaller size to the 2.5 kg's. I ignored them because the hole looked too small to fit on a barbell. I'll check those too.
Reply 14
08/08/2014: Workout A

Squat: 50 kg - 5x5
Bench Press: 35 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 35 kg - 5x5
Shrugs: 70 kg - 3x8

Good workout again today. Happy with the reps/sets. Bicep DOMS has still not gone so curls were tough.
Reply 15
11/08/2014: Workout B

Squat: 52.5 kg - 5x5
Dead lift: 80 kg - 1x5
Standing Press: 30 kg - 3x5
32.5 kg - 2x5
Barbell Row: 40 kg - 5x5
Abs Machine: 50kg - 3x10

Good workout today also. Gym was surprisingly really busy but still didn't end up waiting for a machine. Press is becoming difficult, annoyed I couldnt get 32.5 for 5 full sets, will attempt again session after next. Arms are getting a good workout and are getting bigger. Squat is also coming along nicely but still a bit worried about form. Dead lifts were surprisingly easy, reckon I could've had 100kg for a set of 5 but will get their slowly but surely.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 16
13/08/2014: Workout A

Squat: 55 kg - 5x5
Bench Press: 40 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 40 kg - 5x5
Shrugs: 80 kg - 3x8
Abs Machine: 50 kg - 3x10

Today was okay. Increased the compound lifts by a few kg. Shrugs were a bit difficult as my grip is not too great. Need to work on that. Bench is getting higher also, it was probably my weakest lift last time i joined the gym, but my form wasn't great and this time I'm working on it.
Reply 17
Also, if anyone actually reads my blog? lol. Wanted to ask, I hardly feel sore anymore on some of the exercises after workout day. Mainly squats and dead lift. I believe to have pretty decent form, and i did feel sore after my first couple sessions. Probably nothing important but would like to know why.
Also, if anyone actually reads my blog? lol. Wanted to ask, I hardly feel sore anymore on some of the exercises after workout day. Mainly squats and dead lift. I believe to have pretty decent form, and i did feel sore after my first couple sessions. Probably nothing important but would like to know why.

I don't feel sore either, the only time I felt sore was the first time I did squats. The first few times you use a muscle you get DOMS but after you've been training it a while you stop getting it.

Don't forget the squats go up 7.5kg per week on this program, I'm sure in a few weeks we will be extremely sore from them. At the moment we are probably lifting weights that are relatively easy even for untrained individuals, if we didn't start low we would just hit a brick wall too soon instead of making progress.
Reply 19
Original post by Forum User
I don't feel sore either, the only time I felt sore was the first time I did squats. The first few times you use a muscle you get DOMS but after you've been training it a while you stop getting it.

Don't forget the squats go up 7.5kg per week on this program, I'm sure in a few weeks we will be extremely sore from them. At the moment we are probably lifting weights that are relatively easy even for untrained individuals, if we didn't start low we would just hit a brick wall too soon instead of making progress.

Completely agree. I guess the increase in weights every week will eventually cause soreness when the weight gets heavier. Can't wait to be hitting higher numbers. This plan is working well, better then what i did last year which didn't really increase my overall strength, and the fact i used to be glad when i had to miss legs day. No more.

Quick Reply

Latest