The Student Room Group

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Khan - Just Another Blog.

Scroll to see replies

stick with conventional as you're a beginner. don't belt up yet either.
Reply 41
23/08/2014: Workout A

Squat: 65 kg - 5x5
Bench Press: 47.5 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 50 kg - 5x5
Shrugs: 100 kg - 3x8
Skull Crushers: EZ + 15 kg - 3x8
Curls: EZ + 20 kg - 3x8
Cable Crossovers: 30 kg - 3x8
Abs Machine: 55 kg - 3x10

Yesterday was a bit tougher. Stuck with 65 kg squats as I'm still trying to fix up my form. Bench has increased and still was fine, but think i will stall next bench session as it's becoming harder. Shrugs were okay, after my grip was fine last time i done this, this time it nearly failed at the end of each set. Increased in the Abs machine. Added in a one time cable crossover accessory exercise to work my chest a bit more, definitely feels sore today when i stretch it.

Overall, good session. Will increase squat weight tomorrow.

Also, my body does not work well with my current protein shake. Get constant stomach cramps about 2 hours after use. I've got another one which I'll be trying tomorrow.

Original post by AreebWithaHat
stick with conventional as you're a beginner. don't belt up yet either.

What's the reason with not belting up? And also not going sumo? Just curious.
Original post by Enginerd.
23/08/2014: Workout A

Bench Press: 47.5 kg - 5x5
Shrugs: 100 kg - 3x8
Cable Crossovers: 30 kg - 3x8
Abs Machine: 55 kg - 3x10

Yesterday was a bit tougher. Stuck with 65 kg squats as I'm still trying to fix up my form. Bench has increased and still was fine, but think i will stall next bench session as it's becoming harder. Shrugs were okay, after my grip was fine last time i done this, this time it nearly failed at the end of each set. Increased in the Abs machine. Added in a one time cable crossover accessory exercise to work my chest a bit more, definitely feels sore today when i stretch it.

Overall, good session. Will increase squat weight tomorrow.

Also, my body does not work well with my current protein shake. Get constant stomach cramps about 2 hours after use. I've got another one which I'll be trying tomorrow.

What's the reason with not belting up? And also not going sumo? Just curious.

sumo is INCREDIBLY technical for most people and I've seen very few people who can use it effectively atm. I've been doing it for about 8-10 months now and still struggle myself. Conventional is a more appropriate grip it and rip it sort of thing for beginners and it's going to hit more overall muscle.

your lifts aren't big enough in my opinion to warrant a belt. most beginners won't know how to use one properly and it almost becomes a fashion accessory at the gym. work on your perfecting your beltless squats and deads first. i don't think there is any real need to belt up unless you seriously want to compete later on.

just my 2 cents.
sumo is INCREDIBLY technical for most people and I've seen very few people who can use it effectively atm. I've been doing it for about 8-10 months now and still struggle myself. Conventional is a more appropriate grip it and rip it sort of thing for beginners and it's going to hit more overall muscle.

your lifts aren't big enough in my opinion to warrant a belt. most beginners won't know how to use one properly and it almost becomes a fashion accessory at the gym. work on your perfecting your beltless squats and deads first. i don't think there is any real need to belt up unless you seriously want to compete later on.

just my 2 cents.

This

+ belts will be used as a crutch and get weight up that really has no place with being lifted
Reply 44

just my 2 cents.

Original post by Angry cucumber
This

+ belts will be used as a crutch and get weight up that really has no place with being lifted

I'll just go with the chalk for time being.
Reply 45
25/08/2014: Workout B

Squat: 70 kg - 3x5
60 kg - 2x5
Dead lift: 60 kg - 1x5
100 kg - 2x3
Standing Press: 30 kg - 6x5
Close Grip Bench Press: 50 kg - 5x5
Curls: EZ + 30 kg - 1x3
EZ + 20 kg - 2x8
EZ + 10 kg - 1x20
Leg Press: 120 kg - 3x8
Abs Machine: 10 kg - 3x8 (My normal ab machine was in use so used a decline Ab Board)

Mixed day yesterday. Squats were tough, probably because i was knackered before i went gym and was a bit demotivated. Went down to 60 kg from 70 kg. 60 was easy, may just deload and work on form again (I think this is a problem for me).

Dead lifts were good, 60 kg was on the squat bar already so just thought I'd warm up with it. Went onto 2 plates after. Again, grip was weak and nearly dropped in on the last rep of those 2 sets. Wanted to do 1 set but it got divided into 2.

Standing Press was good. I knew i wouldn't get 5 sets of 32.5 kg so worked on form with the 30 kg. Increased to 6 sets, will increase next session.

Barbell Row was good, no problems their.

CGBP, had some weight on the bar and thought I'd warmup, thought it was 2 10 kg plates. Went to do it and it felt heavier then 40 kg, noticed it was 2 plates of 15 kg. A higher weight then i intended to do but stuck to it and completed 5x5 without too much trouble. Very happy. Also, forgot it was an accessory exercise and did 5x5 rather then the intended 3x8.

Also, I added in leg press. Needed to work on my legs to aid with my squats. May just permanently add these to the routine. Felt a good pump.

Overall, not bad.
Reply 46
27/08/2014: Workout A

Squat: 60 kg - 5x5
Bench Press: 50 kg - 5x5 - Failed on last rep.
Barbell Row: 55 kg - 5x5
Shrugs: 100 kg - 3x15
Leg Press: 160 kg - 3x8
Abs Board: 10 kg - 3x8

Pretty happy with the progress i made in these 3 weeks. Have increased in strength and form. Squats are yet to be worked on so deloaded from 70 kg to still prefect form. Bench is increasing, 50 kg was okay but last rep i failed so will be doing these again next session. Shrugs were good, after i used chalk. Barbell row is increasing, may just stay at this weight next session to perfect form. Leg press i decided to increase to 160 kg. Overall, good.

Used preworkout today, had 1 scoop to see how much i would need. Hardly felt it tbh. Will increase to 1.5 scoops next session.
stay safe man.
Reply 48
stay safe man.

Lol, why do you say that? Am i doing something i shouldn't? :redface:
Lol, why do you say that? Am i doing something i shouldn't? :redface:

1.5 pre-workout scoops might kill you :wink:
Reply 50
1.5 pre-workout scoops might kill you :wink:

Well the recommended dosage is 2 scoops i think. :smile:
Reply 51
Any reason why my CGBP is stronger then my normal BP? I got 50 kg pretty good on CGBP then BP. Probably because my triceps are stronger then my chest but surely they both play a part in each exercise so should be fairly similar. I could've even gotten more reps on the CGBP as well. Maybe an off day on the normal BP.
Any reason why my CGBP is stronger then my normal BP? I got 50 kg pretty good on CGBP then BP. Probably because my triceps are stronger then my chest but surely they both play a part in each exercise so should be fairly similar. I could've even gotten more reps on the CGBP as well. Maybe an off day on the normal BP.

Its not because your triceps are "stronger" than your chest because theyre a primary mover in both movements so theres a carry over of strength.

Its most likely because your interpretation of close grip is actually standard width? Your normal grip maybe too wide giving an overly compressed range of motion bringing the shoulder into the movement more than they should.

You should show us a picture, diagram or video of your grip position.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
Original post by Nvmthename
Its not because your triceps are "stronger" than your chest because theyre a primary mover in both movements so theres a carry over of strength.

Its most likely because your interpretation of close grip is actually standard width? Your normal grip maybe too wide giving an overly compressed range of motion bringing the shoulder into the movement more than they should.

You should show us a picture, diagram or video of your grip position.

Erm.. on the Olympic bar (20 kg). This is my grip. Black for CGBP, red for regular Bench.

My chest is not too huge, maybe I'm just gripping it wrong.

Edit: Sorry, the red markings should be on the other side of the ring.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 54
30/08/2014: Workout B

Dead lift: 80 kg - 2x5
Standing Press: 32.5 kg - 6x5
Barbell Row: 52.5 kg - 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press: 52.5 kg - 5x5
Curls: EZ + 15 kg - 3x15

Today was good. Squats have increased, and form has improved. Lower back soreness is still present but only a small amount, don't think it's anything major.
Dead lifts, all over the place at the moment, different numbers but i think i will work up from 80 kg. Which was not too taxing.
Standing press, this was pleasantly good. Increased weight after fixing form and got 6x5. Only did an extra set because i was waiting for the bench. Will move to 35 next session.
CGBP was surprisingly hard. Did all the sets and reps but failed the last rep of the last two sets. Will stay at this weight next session.
Reply 55
Took 1.5 scoops of pre workout. Still didn't feel it. I will stop using it and give it to a mate. May try another one later in the year.
Reply 56
01/09/2014: Workout A

Squat: 70 kg - 4x5
60 kg - 1x5
Bench Press: 50 kg - 5x5
Barbell Row: 52.5 kg - 5x5
Shrugs: 90 kg - 3x12

Average day. Squats were good. Managed 4 sets of 5 but knew i couldn't get a 5th so lowered the weight. Bench increased as well, but failed on the last rep of the last set.
Barbell row has stayed the same, working on form. Need to work on grip strength also, so i did more reps with a lower weight on shrugs.
Reply 57
03/09/2014: Workout B

Squat: 70 kg - 3x5
60 kg - 2x5 (Paused)
Dead lift: 90 kg - 1x5
Standing Press: 35 kg - 5x5
40 kg - 1x3
Barbell Row: 55 kg - 5x5
Close Grip Bench Press: 55 kg - 3x5
50 kg - 2x5
Horizontal Ab Machine: 10 kg - 3x8

Hard session today. Need to seriously come up with a way in which to increase squats. Finding it incredibly hard on 70 kg. Prob deload to 60 and do 5 paused sets next session.
Deadlift was good, 90 kg was heavy but it got up quickly.
Standing press is going GOOD! finally. Got 5 sets without much hardship on 35 kg. Tried 40 kg and grinded out 3 sets which isn't too bad. Hopefully I'll get at least 3 full sets on it next session.
CGBP, each set was a grinder. Lagging on these also. Maybe have to deload to 45 kg and work up again. Failed last rep of every set.

Sweat like a dog at the gym though. After 3 sets on squats i was dripping in sweat. Don't know why though. Rest of the workout seems okay.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd keep progressing until you fail. Squats are never easy. They will always feel hard.
Reply 59
I would take out the ab machine from your workout and replace it with conventional ab training like V-situps. The machine just doesn't train them as well as you would on a mat...

Quick Reply

Latest