The Student Room Group

Should you have "the sex talk"?

When dating someone you're pretty serious about, should you have a chat with them about sex before it happens- your expectations, feelings, contraceptives etx- or just let it happen naturally? (This is not my first sexual partner, so I know how sex works)
It's a personal decision - if you're able to talk about that sort of thing without either person being uncomfortable, that's always a good idea.
If you've both been in relationships before it might be worth you both agreeing to get checked out at the GUM clinic.
Of course condoms are a good idea at the start of a relationship, especially if you aren't 100% sure you're STI free, or unsure about the girl's contraception.
A generally accepted expectation is that the first few times as a new couple might be slightly disappointing, because you're still learning what each other like.
TL;DR - If you're open, then have a chat, if not, just try not to go charging in bareback with a raging STI.
Original post by Anonymous
When dating someone you're pretty serious about, should you have a chat with them about sex before it happens- your expectations, feelings, contraceptives etx- or just let it happen naturally? (This is not my first sexual partner, so I know how sex works)

How old are the couple?
I don't think there's anything wrong with discussing it before hand.
By all means discuss aspects of it. But as for mentioning "expectations" that's kinda putting pressure on the other person to live up to those. Personally, I think you should just 'go with the flow'...don't talk about it before hand unless you have some specific concerns like STIs and so forth.

There's not really a wrong answer to this. It boils down to personal preference but certain areas should be brought up with sensitivity

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both my relationships I have talked about sex with them before doing it, definitely discussing contraception, and previous partners. With my current relationship we definitely spoke more about it beforehand because we are long distance, but I definitely think it is important to talk about before having sex.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending