The Student Room Group

Phd study?

So...basically I'm at a crossroads and need a bit of advice. I've just graduated from an anthropolgy degree (mix of both biologcal and social) and eventually want to do a Phd (mainly because very few jobs that you can get into with just an undergraduate degree appeal to me, I'd like to do some kind of scientific research) but I don't want to do a social science/ humanities Phd, I'd rather do something based on biology. The problem is will any masters courses say in biological anthropology, wildlfie biology or in general something biology related accept me with an anthropology degree? Im passionate about the natural world, human origins etc so think that this is the right path. Say for example I did a wildlife conservation masters (if I even get in) and then applied for a Phd in a similar area would it be a problem that my undergrad degree was in anthropology? Would it effect funding?

Thanks for reading,

Any advice?
Original post by Bongo Bongo
So...basically I'm at a crossroads and need a bit of advice. I've just graduated from an anthropolgy degree (mix of both biologcal and social) and eventually want to do a Phd (mainly because very few jobs that you can get into with just an undergraduate degree appeal to me, I'd like to do some kind of scientific research) but I don't want to do a social science/ humanities Phd, I'd rather do something based on biology. The problem is will any masters courses say in biological anthropology, wildlfie biology or in general something biology related accept me with an anthropology degree? Im passionate about the natural world, human origins etc so think that this is the right path. Say for example I did a wildlife conservation masters (if I even get in) and then applied for a Phd in a similar area would it be a problem that my undergrad degree was in anthropology? Would it effect funding?

Thanks for reading,

Any advice?

Okay, so there are quite a few questions there! I'm in a similar situation, have done a lot of research, so here goes.

Will they accept you with an anthropology degree? It honestly depends on the degree programme and contacting them would be the best way to find out. I got accepted onto a completely science based course with a social science undergraduate degree (human geography to environmental science), as long as you can justify why you are applying you probably have a good chance of getting accepted. Masters, generally, are a bit of a cash cow for universities, the applicant pool is smaller, and, from having talked to quite a few people, converting subject is a commonly accepted reason for doing a masters.

Could you do a biological PhD with only a Masters degree? The short answer is yes. There are a significant number of PhD projects on things like FindaPhD.com that stipulate you need an undergraduate degree or a Masters in the subject you are applying for. Equally, however, there are a lot which require both in the right subject. You will be up against a lot of people who have applicable undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, whether that will really play to your strength or weakness will really depend on both the nature of the project and the person selecting you.

Does it affect funding? Unlikely. If you get on to a funded project they are not going to not fund you because you have an undergraduate anthropology degree. The research councils, however, I really can't say. The more experience you have in your area, the better, probably. Though if you did well at masters and put an outstanding proposal together, I am not sure it would matter too much that you retrained at Masters level as long as you had sufficient relevant experience.
Original post by bownessie
Okay, so there are quite a few questions there! I'm in a similar situation, have done a lot of research, so here goes.

Will they accept you with an anthropology degree? It honestly depends on the degree programme and contacting them would be the best way to find out. I got accepted onto a completely science based course with a social science undergraduate degree (human geography to environmental science), as long as you can justify why you are applying you probably have a good chance of getting accepted. Masters, generally, are a bit of a cash cow for universities, the applicant pool is smaller, and, from having talked to quite a few people, converting subject is a commonly accepted reason for doing a masters.

Could you do a biological PhD with only a Masters degree? The short answer is yes. There are a significant number of PhD projects on things like FindaPhD.com that stipulate you need an undergraduate degree or a Masters in the subject you are applying for. Equally, however, there are a lot which require both in the right subject. You will be up against a lot of people who have applicable undergraduate and postgraduate degrees, whether that will really play to your strength or weakness will really depend on both the nature of the project and the person selecting you.

Does it affect funding? Unlikely. If you get on to a funded project they are not going to not fund you because you have an undergraduate anthropology degree. The research councils, however, I really can't say. The more experience you have in your area, the better, probably. Though if you did well at masters and put an outstanding proposal together, I am not sure it would matter too much that you retrained at Masters level as long as you had sufficient relevant experience.

Thanks for your answer, really helped. Its good to know that postgraduate study can be a bit flexible and that it is possible to slightly change the academic route you've taken.
Just to say I did a Masters in Biodiversity and Conservation at Leeds Uni and there were people on my course with honours degrees in geography and even one in English so you should be fine.
Original post by redferry
Just to say I did a Masters in Biodiversity and Conservation at Leeds Uni and there were people on my course with honours degrees in geography and even one in English so you should be fine.

Thats good to hear. Out of interest do you know if they struggled with the course? Also I know this question is a bit random but you know when you do a Phd you design your proposal yourself don't you? Just wondering because recently I've seen alot of Phds advertised that have the title/ idea already.
Original post by Bongo Bongo
Thats good to hear. Out of interest do you know if they struggled with the course? Also I know this question is a bit random but you know when you do a Phd you design your proposal yourself don't you? Just wondering because recently I've seen alot of Phds advertised that have the title/ idea already.

No no one struggled everyone got at least a merit :smile:

You can or you can take an already proposed title. Most funding comes with a title already proposed by the supervisor in Biology.

My PhD is a bit different as I choose from 72 titles once I start. But usually you apply for one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending