The Student Room Group
West Point is really tough to get into and most people respect it. At Stanford I met a group of West Point grads, 2 of which were at Stanford's Graduate School of Business for MBAs. The others all had jobs in finance so it seems like they do well for themselves.
Reply 2
shady lane
West Point is really tough to get into and most people respect it. At Stanford I met a group of West Point grads, 2 of which were at Stanford's Graduate School of Business for MBAs. The others all had jobs in finance so it seems like they do well for themselves.

Cheers shandy. :smile: If anyone has some thoughts on this, please feel free to share... it's rather important! :biggrin:
Reply 3
Based purely on my opinion. Btw, I'm not american, but lived there for a few year.

I think a West Point graduate would have good job prospects. In america, being in the military is very respected(at least a lot more then in singapore) and so going to the top 'military' academy would be considered, well, prestigious. O

utside the military.. I dont know why someone would go to West Point if they did not want to have a military career. But considering what shady_lane said just ignore me in this area.

I read in the newspaper someone in singapore got into West Point this year, was that you? or someone you know?
Reply 4
Errr, non-US citizens can go to West Point? That seems very odd as you have to apply through a member of Congress....

Checked their website: "You must be a U.S. citizen at the time of enrollment, be unmarried, and not be pregnant or have an obligation to provide support to a dependent."
Reply 5
Any graduate from West Point is extremely well respected. Employers will recognize West Pointers for their well known leadership and discipline. However West Pointers graduate as 2nd class Lieutenants and are obligated to serve in the US Army for 4 years. So any job outside of the military will have to wait until a graduate fufills their obligation.

And yes West Point is extremely difficult to get into. There is a physical test in the application (which is normal for a military academy). However West Point (#1 source for American military leaders) looks for A LOT OF EC's. And not just simple participation, but leadership. If you want to be admitted into West Point, you should be the team captain of at least two varsity sports and maintain grades high enough for highly selective colleges (borderline Ivy League school grades should do).

I know this stuff because I was looking to apply to a military academy or join either the US Marine Corps or the Army during college (NROTC or ROTC) but my parents basically won't let me. So now I'm looking just at Oxford and some Ivies. A warning about all military academies, ROTC, NROTC, if the US is in a state of war, they are legally allowed to pull you out of school into the war. You would have no choice but to oblige their call to serve. (not 100% sure on military academies but confidant)

My friend's brother's friend was pulled from the University of Chicago to serve in the Navy in the war in Iraq during his freshman year. He spent a year there and returned (thank god) but is still a freshman when he should be almost a junior.
Reply 6
For a foreigner to graduate from West Point would be very very impressive. It's extremely exclusive so just to be accepted is an honor.

Additionally, I'll agree with Earlham. I've never heard of a non-American getting in and wouldn't know how one could get the contacts to get in.
Reply 7
Earlham
Errr, non-US citizens can go to West Point? That seems very odd as you have to apply through a member of Congress....

Checked their website: "You must be a U.S. citizen at the time of enrollment, be unmarried, and not be pregnant or have an obligation to provide support to a dependent."

Yes, they do have exchange programmes in place whereby military scholars from other countries with military relationships with the US DoD can study at the West Point. :smile:
Reply 8
Anyhow, cheers for the tips to all those who have responded. Doesn't look like a bad choice at all. :yy:
Reply 9
silkweed

I didn't think that a non-American could get in either... you have to get a nomination from your Congressman, in VA it was Goodlatte. An exchange wouldn't be a bad idea, though.

Yes they can.

http://ciponline.org/facts/acad.htm
Reply 10
I didn't think that a non-American could get in either... you have to get a nomination from your Congressman, in VA it was Goodlatte.
Well, now you know. :biggrin: Bilateral training exchange programmes with allies do exist. Of course, the selection criteria remains incredibly tough.
Reply 11
silkweed
There you go then; now you just better get training! :wink:

Or just do it properly and go to Sandhurst instead.
Reply 12
silkweed
There you go then; now you just better get training! :wink:

What makes you so sure I haven't qualified already? :wink:

Anyhow, thanks for your tips everyone. I think I have all the information I need now.

Latest

Trending

Trending