The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Other UK-headquartered firms with £1m-plus breadwinners are Berwin Leighton Paisner (one partner), Dickson Minto (two), DLA Piper Rudnick Gray Cary (two), Macfarlanes (four), SJ Berwin (eight) and Travers Smith (four).

Impressive.
Reply 2
Of course, you need to factor in the fact that those partners spend every waking hour in the office, are more likely to know their clients' phone numbers better than their own, see their secretary more than their husband/wife and have blood pressure levels higher than their (very high) IQ scores.

But hey, at least they drive a Maserati.
Reply 3
Its not a life I'd like personally - I'd live with earning a quarter of that amount and spending time with the family and having my blood pressure at normal levels...

But each to their own...
Yeah I have always said its more about comfort fr me than having stupid money... but I supose if you live comfortably for a while you eventually want loads so you can just do whatever the hell you want forever!
Reply 5
I'm not in it for the money. Sadly, (or not) I have loftier ideals.
If I was in it for the money I would have done economics at uni and be heading for investment banking...
Reply 7
chalks
Of course, you need to factor in the fact that those partners spend every waking hour in the office, are more likely to know their clients' phone numbers better than their own, see their secretary more than their husband/wife and have blood pressure levels higher than their (very high) IQ scores.

But hey, at least they drive a Maserati.

*Giggles*

I'd rather earn less and have the time to spend it.... :p:
Reply 8
But being a lawyer doesn't necessarily mean that you will have to work mad hours. I just think it's if you work in the magic circle, or the their close rivals.
Reply 9
I sometimes think I am a bit of a fool for slogging my guts out for very little doing a PhD and heading towards the academic path where I could earn more easily by having a commercial career. I don't think i'm built for it though, and if you do things for money alone you will just get found out. My jury is still out, but if academia is indeed the path I choose, I like to think I will be able to live relatively comfortably as well as (hopefully) making a constructive contribution to the development of others and important issues. That is why I did law and what keeps me going through times good, bad, happy and sad.
Reply 10
Definitely a noble thought there, chris. :smile:
Reply 11
Socrates
Its not a life I'd like personally - I'd live with earning a quarter of that amount and spending time with the family and having my blood pressure at normal levels...

But each to their own...

:ditto:
maybe they are the partners who are the total balls and so dont actually do any work all day and all they do is call people, stroll in when they please etc because they have worked their arses off to get there in the first place. unlikely, but lets give them some benefit so as to not render them soul-less :biggrin:.
There was an interesting article in the Observer yesterday on a related topic, which is worth a read: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1859329,00.html
The nightmares of investment banking its just not for some I am afraid, and a terribly male dominated career purely because of the hours and stuff...

its the price you pay for having the most lucrative career (within reason, graduate job I guess I mean) ... and lets face it most of them only work for a limited amount of time and then simply retire. Dont like the way that like most of the ppl who work in them carry the title "managing director" though, one of my mates did an internship and said he was out with a director and I was like bloody hell ... thinking that was like the top guy but no, in every team there were 3-4 MDs, one D and then loads of others ... but MD makes you sound like THE MAN!.

That stuff about drugs is common knowledge, they have the cash, they're getting flogged ... its just what happens.

My mate turned down Merrill Lynch who offered him 70k starting cos it was just a disgrace. I have another mate at Deutsche Bank this year on internship and hes applying to go into global banking ... which IMO is probably the worst of the departments for flogging you. Oh and the guy with merrill lynch now works for one of the best management consultancy firms in the world, like half the hours and still on 50k starting with a golden handshake .. so dont feel sorry for him lol.
Reply 15
Socrates

But each to their own...

Even if you're on quarter of that amount (i.e. 250K) you'll still be getting flogged.
Reply 16
I was going to say a tenth but I don't think I sell myself that cheap :biggrin:
Purely as a point of interest, a lady I work with has a son, Oxford educated, who's a partner at Linklaters at 34 years old!!!!!!! 34!?!?!?! Just shows how well you can do if you work for it.
Standard consideration for partnership there is 6-8 years following qualification which could be 21(graduate), 24(qualify), 30(partner)... although morelikely 32 I would say, and remember only 35% of their partners are on the million bucks ... and they are probably the senior partners.

Its totally not uncommon for people to make partner very quickly at the top firms.
Reply 19
Lewis-HuStuJCR
Standard consideration for partnership there is 6-8 years following qualification which could be 21(graduate), 24(qualify), 30(partner)... although morelikely 32 I would say, and remember only 35% of their partners are on the million bucks ... and they are probably the senior partners.

Its totally not uncommon for people to make partner very quickly at the top firms.

LOL. Such a cynic :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending