The Student Room Group

Current Year 10's, what advice do you have for people moving up?

A lot of us are pretty nervous about starting GCSE's and coursework, so what pieces of advice to you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Remember to have some time to relax and have some time for yourself. But also try your best in all your subjects because GCSEs are important. Have fun!
Original post by horsewithnoname
Remember to have some time to relax and have some time for yourself. But also try your best in all your subjects because GCSEs are important. Have fun!

Okay thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Firstly: They're not that bad!

In year 9 you've probably already started many of the things you are doing in the sciences, maths and English (as well as other subjects that you're carrying on to GCSE) so it's really just expanding on what you know. In year 10 you learn a lot of new things so it helps if you stay focused and on top of your work. The subject I found the most surprising was English as we did continuous Controlled Assessments throughout the year. As long as you enjoy the subjects you're taking you'll be fine- in fact I found that a lot of the subjects became much more interesting in year 10 compared to what they were in year 11. If you're taking ICT I would definitely say keep on top of everything as I didn't and at the end of the year I had so much catching up to do I had to stay in for hours and hours after school.

You'll be fine- don't let GCSEs take over your life! :smile:
Original post by Morgan_1999
Firstly: They're not that bad!

In year 9 you've probably already started many of the things you are doing in the sciences, maths and English (as well as other subjects that you're carrying on to GCSE) so it's really just expanding on what you know. In year 10 you learn a lot of new things so it helps if you stay focused and on top of your work. The subject I found the most surprising was English as we did continuous Controlled Assessments throughout the year. As long as you enjoy the subjects you're taking you'll be fine- in fact I found that a lot of the subjects became much more interesting in year 10 compared to what they were in year 11. If you're taking ICT I would definitely say keep on top of everything as I didn't and at the end of the year I had so much catching up to do I had to stay in for hours and hours after school.

You'll be fine- don't let GCSEs take over your life! :smile:

Such great advice, thanks! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Keep up with all your work! for example with coursework this year i was reluctant and lazy to complete my coursework on time because i knew that i would have time to do it in yr11 which is the worst thing ever! So keep up to date with all your coursework because it is an important part of your final result and can change a C to an A
Original post by ickra_
Keep up with all your work! for example with coursework this year i was reluctant and lazy to complete my coursework on time because i knew that i would have time to do it in yr11 which is the worst thing ever! So keep up to date with all your coursework because it is an important part of your final result and can change a C to an A

Ok thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ickra_

This is a really good idea, especially when you've got more than one piece of coursework/ controlled assessment at a time
Reply 8
One thing I can tell you is don't slack off on 1 or 2 subjects, no matter how stupid it may seem. You might think that say your Art or Music GCSE is pointless, but when it comes to sixth form/college and uni if you have loads of A* and A grades and then a random C or D, they may question your diversity and dedication.

As long as you work hard, in the correct proportion to resting well, you can succeed.

Also, don't lose sleep over work or things like that. Even though you should try your utmost hardest to avoid it, sometimes a piece of coursework may be a bit late because of your revision for another subject. Don't worry to much, GCSE's are a time when many people do develop mild anxiety and I know I even developed insomnia. When you think about it, it's not worth it is it? That extra day or couple of hours of work will not matter all too much, so remember to take a breather and clear your mind because your health and well being is always most important. If you need to, talk to your form teacher or head of year, they always know how to help - they teach and talk to so many students every single year that have probably gone through the same thing.

All in all, good luck and enjoy your time at school! It is an experience as well as a good education.
Original post by DaisyTwilight
A lot of us are pretty nervous about starting GCSE's and coursework, so what pieces of advice to you have?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Like someone else has mentioned, starting GCSEs is nothing new, you may have learned stuff in KS3 and you may go over that again in dept or just touch on the topic, you may not at all depending on your teachers and the time you have. So don't stress before you've even started them! :tongue:

Year 10 in my school wasn't very stressful imo (we'll be feeling all the stress in Year 11, apparently) it may have been for others though. But just remember to stay on top of your work, try not to fall behind (it's not a nice position to be in from experience, I regret the lack of work I put into stuff) do your homework and if you don't understand anything, ask your teacher or someone else who may know :smile:

Don't be put down by getting bad grades, at the beginning and middle of the year I got Cs and Ds :sad: which I was annoyed at myself about, I think it was lack of revision and concentration in class. Figure out the problem you have and try to fix it. I've got B's mostly now and if I improve it further another 2 grades in Year 11 then I'd be really happy :biggrin: My teachers think this is quite likely, so I assume many people do improve up two grades in Year 11 :smile:

If you ever feel like it's getting too much for you, take a break (it's good to take little breaks!) do something you enjoy like reading, gaming, drawing.. to relieve stress :smile:

Finally, PLEASE do the best you can in coursework/controlled assessments, otherwise you'll have a lot of work to catch up with/sort out at the end of revising which could take away a lot of your revision time. I have regrets with ICT coursework and I can see the stress of so many who are doing subjects like art/textiles/food tech too. :smile:

So, just to remind you:
- GCSEs are probably not completely new to you, so don't worry so much!
- Don't fall behind (ask if you don't understand, do homework, concentrate)
- Don't be put down by bad grades, you have enough time to improve the next 2 years
- If it gets too much, take breaks :yep:
- And probably the most important, try your best in coursework, it'll come back to bite you later in Year 11 :grumble:

Hope that helps :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mr...
Knew to us?
Oh, I am such a bully :moon:

Damn it, you certainly are :colonhash:
Original post by Mr...
Correction it is spelt 'Dam' (it's a Percy Jackson thing)

I didn't know that :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

- Don't stress too much
- Pay attention in class (otherwise you'll have a lot of catching up to do)
- Give coursework and assessments 100%
Nervous about GCSEs :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It aint over till the fat lady sings, and she only starts singing when you put down that revision guide.
Original post by ickra_
i was reluctant and lazy to complete my coursework on time

I did this for IT and now I'm dreading going back as I have a mountain high pile of work to finish.
Reply 16
Original post by horsewithnoname
This is a really good idea, especially when you've got more than one piece of coursework/ controlled assessment at a time

:rolleyes:
Reply 17
Original post by JanitaTwain
I did this for IT and now I'm dreading going back as I have a mountain high pile of work to finish.

i done it for health and social, art, catering, and science:eek::eek::eek:

pray for meeee:tongue:
look one simple tip NEVER LEAVE ANYTHING TILL LAST MINUTE YOU WILL FIND EVERYTHING CRAMPING UP AND IT WILL BE TOO MUCH STRESS!
REVISE FROM DAY ONE YOU WILL DEFO GET STRAIGHT A*S :redface: ALWAYS BE ON TOP OF YOUR CONTROLLED ASSESSMENTS IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS THEN inbox me and i am more then happy to help:cool: good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Buy the revision books for each subject early. Ask the teachers what exam board each subject is that you're studying and ask them what tier you're likely to be sitting them at. Then order the revision books from CGP

Quick Reply