The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Applicants for 2015 Entry!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1020
Original post by sydneybridge
Bristol does not offer or allocate accommodation on any 'first come first served' basis.
Rooms are allocated AFTER the A level results are known and places confirmed.

Please read : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/guarantee/ which explains that it isnt Firm or Insurance that matters - its that you have accepted your confirmed place (ie. post A level results) by 31 August, and you applied through UCAS before the January deadline. Key dates for the process : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/key-dates/

Any other questions, contact the Accom Office : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/contact/

How do they choose who gets the rooms? For example, it says there are three applicants for every bed in Wills.. So if all those people put Wills as their first choice, how do they pick who gets it? What would be relevant?
Age would not be relevant, nor subject or school: everyone needs accommodation. What makes some higher up the pecking order?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Anyone going to the Law offer holder day Wednesday?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Re. accommodation places - they try and get a gender balance, a good balance of Homes and Overseas, and a mix of subjects. There are therefore not any secret criteria for who gets what, just common-sense.
Firmed bristol today, my unconditional place for law. Will fill out accommodation tomorrow :-) I'm very excited.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Marinaawesome
Firmed bristol today, my unconditional place for law. Will fill out accommodation tomorrow :-) I'm very excited.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Going to the offer holder day tomorrow?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lynneee
Hey guys is it we can only choose the accommodation once we firm Bristol??

Posted from TSR Mobile

You can only apply once firmed however like sydney said it isn't first come first serve so nothing to worry about. However you should remember that some of the more oversubscribed accommodation gets removed from the list either at the end of June or July (can't remember which but info is online) so if you wanted to apply for one of those you'd need to remember that. Although by that time you will have needed to firmed with UCAS anyway (depending on when your last decision got back to you - dates for that are here)

No need to rush with the accommodation, as long as you get it in by the deadline you have just as much of a chance at your preference as anyone else - also it's important to remember your guaranteed accommodation anyway.

Original post by arty
How do they choose who gets the rooms? For example, it says there are three applicants for every bed in Wills.. So if all those people put Wills as their first choice, how do they pick who gets it? What would be relevant?
Age would not be relevant, nor subject or school: everyone needs accommodation. What makes some higher up the pecking order?

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Selections are randomised within fixed criteria: student preference, gender, nationality, school type, faculty." http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/apply/
Once they've allocated who has what accommodation I think they use the 'about me' bits from the accommodation application to assign people to flats so your more likely to share common interests with flat mates. In the application they also ask for a 2nd and 3rd preference, maximum price, and most important factor for accommodation and they use that to help allocate if they can't give someone a preference. As long as you apply by a certain date your guaranteed accommodation so it's not like applying in June rather than now will make much difference.
And Bristol also guarantees accommodation for anyone coming through Insurance or Adjustment - which makes it a safer bet than some other Unis.

And also ..... remember that many of the people applying for accommodation won't end up at Bristol anyway. All those who either Firm but don't get the grades or who defer after results/confirmation will no longer be in the mix.

PS. You can of course always arrange your own housing in private rented flats and houses. One good place to look is http://student.spareroom.co.uk/. They have a 'Buddy Up' scheme for people to find potential house-mates, or you can often find spare rooms in existing UoB flatshares. Or.... you could start a thread on this board for 'sharers'.
(edited 9 years ago)
Does anyone know if Bristol usually participates in adjustment for their law course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Championt1
Does anyone know if Bristol usually participates in adjustment for their law course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Pretty sure they don't - they relieve 10 applications for every available place, so I highly doubt it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Officially, no.

But if you get staggeringly good grades in August its worth immediately phoning Bristol to see if they would be interested in you. Yes, they may well say no - but they could also say Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi if you post it in the fb group, i'm sure someone will be able to answer your question for you that is also currently studying law. :smile:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/BristolUniversityStudentsOfficial/
Ok. Thanks for all the replies.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1032
Hey, this might be the wrong place to ask this, but I would be coming to the university of Bristol as a visiting student this summer (May-July 2015) to take part in a research group. Any other students with similar/same plans?

Thanks!
Original post by ad1517
I would be coming to the university of Bristol as a visiting student this summer (May-July 2015) to take part in a research group. Any other students with similar/same plans?

Do you mean as an undergraduate International Exchange student normally studying at an overseas University?
Welcome! You are unlikely to find any others here but welcome anyway. If we can answer any questions you have about life at Bristol, post them here.

If you are coming as a graduate student then you might find the general postgraduate board useful as well : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100
Reply 1034
Do you mean as an undergraduate International Exchange student normally studying at an overseas University?
Welcome! You are unlikely to find any others here but welcome anyway. If we can answer any questions you have about life at Bristol, post them here.

If you are coming as a graduate student then you might find the general postgraduate board useful as well : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=100

Random fact but, do you know how many students Bristol takes in each year?

Like how many undergraduate first year freshers will start in Sept 2015 in total?!
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by arty
Random fact but, do you know how many students Bristol takes in each year?

Like how many undergraduate first year freshers will start in Sept 2015 in total?!

There website only seems to state the number of undergrads in total, which is apparently 15,000. However each course on the website usually tells you the number of applicants from the year before and the number of places (if I remember rightly anyway) if that's any help.
Original post by Brienne of Tarth
Hey!
I've got an unconditional offer to study law at Bristol University however I'm still trying to decide between Manchester Uni and Bristol!
Having researched it extensively it seems that the contact time for Law at Bristol (time spent in lectures,seminars,tutorials etc) is a lot lower than at many other unis including Manchester (at 15% to an overall average of about 25% at a lot of other unis). At Bristol, a relatively high percentage of the overall law degree is assessed through coursework and this could possibly explain the shorter contact time however I’m still not convinced.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

Only thing I could shed light on is that Bristol is more highly respected both nationally and internationally, significantly more than Manchester, so I believe you will have a greater chance of securing a training contract with Bristol (assuming you want a legal career). However, Manchester is still a great university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Brienne of Tarth
At Bristol, a relatively high percentage of the overall law degree is assessed through coursework and this could possibly explain the shorter contact time however I’m still not convinced.
Can anyone shed any light on this?

I appreciate you are asking about Law, but here is the History Handbook for Bristol students - if you look on page 19 you will see this advice which applies just as much to Law : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/history/migrated/documents/handbook.pdf

In the media, the idea is often advanced that students are ‘consumers’ who expect ‘value for money’;in other words, apparently, more scheduled classes. One response to this suggestion is that whatreally makes a difference to effective learning is not the number of contact hours per se but theirnature. We could easily double the number of classes per week, by teaching you in larger groupsand reducing the number of optional units, but we think it is more important to give you a decentchoice of options. Consequently, we aim to ensure that a significant proportion of our teaching takesplace in small seminar groups rather than in big lecture halls.

A university is emphatically not like a supermarket, where you pick your degree off a shelf becauseyou’ve paid for it; it is more like a gym or a health club, where training and facilities are provided butwhere it is your responsibility to make the best use of them. If you skip all the preparatory reading forclass, or try to get by with only the minimum amount of reading, or question-spot for exams ratherthan developing a proper understanding of the subject, or fail to engage in discussion and debate,you will very likely be intellectually flabby and unfit at the end. The more you put into preparation forclasses and tutorials, therefore, the more you will get out of your undergraduate studies.

PS. 'Contact' does not = 'quality teaching'. Hours sat at the back of a big lecture hall with 300 other students does not = 'better degree', or having more usable skills on graduation. Its about what you make of the opportunities presented to you, and how you use your time at Uni to develop important stuff like the ability to work (think) independently. And this is more likely to be honed via assessed course-work rather than big-bang exams that only test your ability to remember stuff.
I appreciate you are asking about Law, but here is the History Handbook for Bristol students - if you look on page 19 you will see this advice which applies just as much to Law : http://www.bristol.ac.uk/media-library/sites/history/migrated/documents/handbook.pdf

In the media, the idea is often advanced that students are ‘consumers’ who expect ‘value for money’;in other words, apparently, more scheduled classes. One response to this suggestion is that whatreally makes a difference to effective learning is not the number of contact hours per se but theirnature. We could easily double the number of classes per week, by teaching you in larger groupsand reducing the number of optional units, but we think it is more important to give you a decentchoice of options. Consequently, we aim to ensure that a significant proportion of our teaching takesplace in small seminar groups rather than in big lecture halls.

A university is emphatically not like a supermarket, where you pick your degree off a shelf becauseyou’ve paid for it; it is more like a gym or a health club, where training and facilities are provided butwhere it is your responsibility to make the best use of them. If you skip all the preparatory reading forclass, or try to get by with only the minimum amount of reading, or question-spot for exams ratherthan developing a proper understanding of the subject, or fail to engage in discussion and debate,you will very likely be intellectually flabby and unfit at the end. The more you put into preparation forclasses and tutorials, therefore, the more you will get out of your undergraduate studies.

PS. 'Contact' does not = 'quality teaching'. Hours sat at the back of a big lecture hall with 300 other students does not = 'better degree', or having more usable skills on graduation. Its about what you make of the opportunities presented to you, and how you use your time at Uni to develop important stuff like the ability to work (think) independently. And this is more likely to be honed via assessed course-work rather than big-bang exams that only test your ability to remember stuff.

THANKS SO MUCH for finding this :smile: V much appreciated, and as you say that very much applies to law as well
Original post by Walkeer_1
Only thing I could shed light on is that Bristol is more highly respected both nationally and internationally, significantly more than Manchester, so I believe you will have a greater chance of securing a training contract with Bristol (assuming you want a legal career). However, Manchester is still a great university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for your advice/replying :smile: I have always been leaning towards Bristol but the contact time issue has been bothering me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending