The Student Room Group

AQA A2 CHEM4 & CHEM5 June 2015 [official discussion thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tryingtosucceed
Self teaching myself the whole course and by experience know it's good to do practice exam questions throughout!! I started revision soon as exams finished inn June. Was a mark of an A overall so now I want to kick its ass lol :smile:

How I wish I had your dedication :'(
I didnt really realise how much little time we have to prep for exams :'( and here I am napping Fml

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you so much!! But I did the AS level last year, this is my first time doing this A2 material!! I really want to get into a chemistry/biomedicine related course next year and I am in my late twenties and decided to do this a year ago!! Thank you again for your kind words, it has been very difficult at times but I see it as a big puzzle and I enjoy working through things.
Last year, as it had been a few years since school, it took me a little time to get back into the swing of things. I left doing exam papers until April time, but now I decided a better technique is to go through them throughout the year, it really helps to get your head around the content and less surprises are left when revision time starts next April/May/June :smile: All the best to you!! :smile:

Original post by examrush
oh okah so your retaking, wow you started revising in june while i was in dubai enjoying my holidays, you sir are the most dedicated person i have ever met. well my theory has been that you finish the material first and then consolidate on the question papers, btw i have couple of questions if you dont mind me asking, how old are you? what other subjects are you taking? what university are you thinking of going and what course are you planning to do?
Aww thank you very much indeed!! It can be difficult at times, but as I learn by myself, it can only be me who makes success happen. Wishing you all the best of luck this year

Original post by TheGemini
How I wish I had your dedication :'(
I didnt really realise how much little time we have to prep for exams :'( and here I am napping Fml

Posted from TSR Mobile
PS: I am also taking physics, maths plus AS biology :wink:

oh okah so your retaking, wow you started revising in june while i was in dubai enjoying my holidays, you sir are the most dedicated person i have ever met. well my theory has been that you finish the material first and then consolidate on the question papers, btw i have couple of questions if you dont mind me asking, how old are you? what other subjects are you taking? what university are you thinking of going and what course are you planning to do?
lol yh they did, man your school is strict,yh i was thinking the same thing on results day that if i retake chem 4 where am i going to start from, it should be easy for you considering your grade, start fresh, start with kinetics, read through the topic from the book if you dont understand something research on the net, you should definitely start new notes, but make sure you understand the topic and not worry too much about the notes

Thanks pal .Im just starting to get a move on,need to gain momentum 😭but phew I've finally started going over this unit :smile:
So I read somewhere that hydrogen bonding is stronger in proteins than in alcohols why is it so?
Is it because N is more electronegative than O?
Where do you get the exam style questions in AQA A2 textbook answers??
How's everyone finding A2 Chemistry?
Reply 28
Not to bad, 90% in my Kinetics mock :biggrin:
Original post by Hudl
Not to bad, 90% in my Kinetics mock :biggrin:

Woah! Well done. My class has finished chapter 4,5,6 and 7 . We started kinetics this week

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Can someone please help me word this answer to get 3 marks everytime. Its a nomenclature question where it is basically asking you to explain how a racemic mixture of the 2 steroisomers of a substance is formed.

The markscheme is
1) Carbocation
2) Planar
3) Equally as likely to form a bond on either side

I cant put the cation and planar into a smooth short sentence to get the overall 3 marks.

Before I checked the markscheme my answer was along the lines.

A racemic mixture of the 2 stereoismers of 2-chlorobutane is formed as when the hydrogen forms a bond using the electrons from the double bond, it is completely random and is equally likely to attach to the left or the right of the double bond meaning the carbocation intermediate could is equally likely to be on either side.

I cant fit in planar now though looking at the markscheme and my answer is to long any help?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Original post by Itsmonique
Woah! Well done. My class has finished chapter 4,5,6 and 7 . We started kinetics this week

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thats nice you seem to have got through a lot

My class have completed 1,2,3 is almost finished ,4,6

We start on 5 next lesson :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
how far are you guys through spec?
I have two teachers so we've done most of chem 4, finished chapter 4,5,6,7,8 and we just started Chapter 1 and chapter 9

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
Original post by Ilovemaths96
how far are you guys through spec?

Original post by Itsmonique
I have two teachers so we've done most of chem 4, finished chapter 4,5,6,7,8 and we just started Chapter 1 and chapter 9

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have done

. Kinetics
. Equilibrum
. Acids & Bases
. Nomenclature
. Aromatics
. Carbonyls
Original post by Hudl
We have done

. Kinetics
. Equilibrum
. Acids & Bases
. Nomenclature
. Aromatics
. Carbonyls

cool
Can some body help me out with this;

I don't understand how you work out the pH of a weak acid-strong base .Why you do what you do and can't follow the example on my revision guide it's confusing .
I understand how you work out the pH for a strong acid-strong base titration .Just a bit confused with the weak acid-strong base one:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 36
Original post by TheGemini
Can some body help me out with this;

I don't understand how you work out the pH of a weak acid-strong base .Why you do what you do and can't follow the example on my revision guide it's confusing .
I understand how you work out the pH for a strong acid-strong base titration .Just a bit confused with the weak acid-strong base one:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you got a specific question that you don't understand?
Original post by Hudl
Have you got a specific question that you don't understand?

I don't understand this e.g from the revision guide ImageUploadedByStudent Room1414516045.514794.jpg :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone planning on retaking chem1 or chem2?
Reply 39
Is the hydrolysis of esters an acylation reaction?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending