The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

King's College London applicants for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aashcat21
hey i'll be transferring from another uni into 2nd year to study anatomy, developmental and human biology, anyone else in a similar situation as me??

How does transferring work? Just curious like what are the entry requirements, required supplements, etc.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
well i messed up my a levels so couldnt use those, but i worked hard for my first year and used that grade to get in. Not a lot of unis do it anymore but thankfully king's still do :biggrin: It's super competitive though and I was really lucky to even be considered due to my a levels. You apply through UCAS and I was required to achieve at least 65% in all my modules and overall grade, and also my first year had to have similar modules to KCL's course so that I could go straight into second year. But if you've got the a levels you can apply to transfer into first year through ucas again :smile:
Original post by milkberries
How does transferring work? Just curious like what are the entry requirements, required supplements, etc.?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know if it's possible to do biomedical sciences for 1st year then transfer to pharmacology...
I know there's a common year one programme which allows this but the website isn't clear whether pharmacology is a part of this or not.

Thanks in advance 😌
Reply 1583
Original post by Pineapple18
Anyone know if it's possible to do biomedical sciences for 1st year then transfer to pharmacology...
I know there's a common year one programme which allows this but the website isn't clear whether pharmacology is a part of this or not.

Thanks in advance 😌

Al KCL science students do common year one but that's only part of the 1st year, they also do part of their chosen course in the 1st year. For example one of my flatmates does neuroscience, in her first year she did common year one but at the same time did classes in neuroscience. Because of this I'm not sure but call KCL up and check, you may be able to get a transfer before you start

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1584
hey does anyone know if kings usually go into clearing for mathematics courses?
Hey, is anyone else's firm Geography? :smile:
Original post by Landy Guinea
Hey, is anyone else's firm Geography? :smile:

ba geo yes
Original post by boing360
ba geo yes

hey I'm doing Bsci :smile:
Reply 1588
I am applying for Liberal Arts. Anybody else?
I'll be studying International Development (BA). Anyone else? :smile:
Reply 1590
Original post by sophieemm
I'll be studying International Development (BA). Anyone else? :smile:

Me too :biggrin:
Original post by mm14
Me too :biggrin:

Greaaat! I found someone at last haha
Reply 1592
Greaaat! I found someone at last haha

That's a relief I thought it was just going to be me by myself in lectures :tongue:

Do you know what you want to do study in International Development?
Original post by mm14
That's a relief I thought it was just going to be me by myself in lectures :tongue:

Do you know what you want to do study in International Development?

Like how the emerging economies are becoming more and more important in the world's economy?

add me on facebook so we can talk if you want to :smile:
Reply 1594
Like how the emerging economies are becoming more and more important in the world's economy?

add me on facebook so we can talk if you want to :smile:

Sure, I haven't used facebook in years and my current account is mostly blank but it'd be a pleasure :smile:
Original post by Pineapple18

Thanks in advance 😌

yeah you should be able to :smile: pharmacology is part of the common year one programme, i know people who transferred onto pharmacology after common year one :smile:
I really hope I can get in through adjustment :c already have my grades but I hope there places
Original post by leobutterfly
yeah you should be able to :smile: pharmacology is part of the common year one programme, i know people who transferred onto pharmacology after common year one :smile:

Great that's a relief thanks!
Reply 1598
Original post by mmms95
got into kings for maths!! :smile:

Congrats, welcome to KCL
Original post by Maths degree
Thing is. I did do all these things and made my mind up on kings. But after people Saying it's not great for maths. It's just putting me in two minds. But I guess your right ! Thanks for the reply !

This is quite late, whilst people might think I'm biased I know plenty of people who did maths at QMUL. I don't know who said Kings wasn't great for maths, but certainly having also had to make the same decision and now having completed degree with friends who did the same Maths BSc at QMUL, Kings is better.

According to quite a few of my personal friends who transferred to Kings maths from QMUL, tutorials were a lot more helpful. The modules themselves at Kings were a lot more inline with what other top unis teach their undergrads from what I've seen. I have also taken a look at the current QMUL course structure - it doesn't seemed to have changed too much so I do think my point still stands. Have you thought about what you want to do after uni?

On the research front, especially within my research group and more generally, Kings maths is a lot better (I was considering applying to QMUL for a PhD). QMUL certainly does have some really cool researchers however, but from what I've read in many papers - researchers from Kings maths pop up more in highly cited papers. For example in the number theory group, we have one of the guys who helped proved Fermat's Last Theorem. In my own research group, we have outstanding professors who really are at the top of their game.

Kings as a uni does offer other advantages too - more central location (you'll be at the Strand Campus). Are you living in halls/private accomm?

Also if you are going to King's, I'll probably see you around because I'm teaching undergrad tutorials when I start my PhD. Did you find this helpful at all?

Quick Reply

Latest