The Student Room Group

Meeting after talking online for a long time

I've been messaging a someone for nearly a month now, I asked if she wanted to meet up after about a week and she said yes, but due to both of us having plans and other things on, we havent been able to meet yet.

The thing is, we've been messaging nearly everyday and it feels like we've got some sort of online relationship, but other then a couple pictures, we've not spoken to or seen each other and I don't know how it's going to turn out when we actually meet.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the situation where you haven't met someone, but feel like you're in a message based relationship, and how it went when you met, were you instantly close, or was it still just like a first date with someone you don't know type of thing?
(edited 9 years ago)
Catfish instantly springs to mind. To make sure she is who says she is get her to take a picture holding a piece of paper with your name on it or something. You don't know who you're going to meet, you haven't even heard her voice. I think you should watch a few episodes of 'Catfish The TV show' before meeting up with her. If you don't want to do that then do be prepared for the consequences-good or bad- you won't know how you will react upon meeting, it may be awkward or you may instantly hug each other, it's a risk you gotta take but out of curiosity... Why have you not spoke to each other on the phone and skype is free, ya know...
Original post by Supertoaster
I've been messaging a someone for nearly a month now, I asked if she wanted to meet up after about a week and she said yes, but due to both of us having plans and other things on, we havent been able to meet yet.

The thing is, we've been messaging nearly everyday and it feels like we've got some sort of online relationship, but other then a couple pictures, we've not spoken to or seen each other and I don't know how it's going to turn out when we actually meet.

Just wondering if anyone else has been in the situation where you haven't met someone, but feel like you're in a message based relationship, and how it went when you met, were you instantly close, or was it still just like a first date type of thing?

Trust me...go ahead and meet up with her. Don't delay it if both of you are free. I was in almost exactly the same situation as you, and it couldn't have worked out any better, I still can't believe my luck, to find someone like that. For me, we were instantly close after we met, because we had been chatting for a while. It did feel like a 'first date type of thing' as you've put it, but in a different way...I didn't expect it to turn out quite so well because I was afraid I'd mess it up. We were completely comfortable around each other and it felt as if we had already known each other, in a way. It's hard to describe.

So, go ahead and meet up. If you feel confident enough, then there's a good chance that it'll go great and you'll become even closer to her. You owe it to yourself to find out. :smile: I'm not sure how serious your relationship is, or what kinds of things you talk about, that's important to take into account. It's best not to delay meeting face to face, it's a very important step you have to take.

Good luck.
Original post by Wonderer1
Catfish instantly springs to mind. To make sure she is who says she is get her to take a picture holding a piece of paper with your name on it or something. You don't know who you're going to meet, you haven't even heard her voice. I think you should watch a few episodes of 'Catfish The TV show' before meeting up with her. If you don't want to do that then do be prepared for the consequences-good or bad- you won't know how you will react upon meeting, it may be awkward or you may instantly hug each other, it's a risk you gotta take but out of curiosity... Why have you not spoke to each other on the phone and skype is free, ya know...

I'm certain she is real, and it isn't that she has tried avoided meeting, it has more been me who has been unavailable. As to the phone, I don't know, I kind of don't feel at a place to just ring and talk, without a reason at least. But I guess that is more down to my lack of knowledge in the area of relationships haha.

Original post by Anonymous
Trust me...go ahead and meet up with her. Don't delay it if both of you are free. I was in almost exactly the same situation as you, and it couldn't have worked out any better, I still can't believe my luck, to find someone like that. For me, we were instantly close after we met, because we had been chatting for a while. It did feel like a 'first date type of thing' as you've put it, but in a different way...I didn't expect it to turn out quite so well because I was afraid I'd mess it up. We were completely comfortable around each other and it felt as if we had already known each other, in a way. It's hard to describe.

So, go ahead and meet up. If you feel confident enough, then there's a good chance that it'll go great and you'll become even closer to her. You owe it to yourself to find out. :smile: I'm not sure how serious your relationship is, or what kinds of things you talk about, that's important to take into account. It's best not to delay meeting face to face, it's a very important step you have to take.

Good luck.

Good to hear, thanks.
I'm certain she is real, and it isn't that she has tried avoided meeting, it has more been me who has been unavailable. As to the phone, I don't know, I kind of don't feel at a place to just ring and talk, without a reason at least. But I guess that is more down to my lack of knowledge in the area of relationships haha.

If you don't feel comfortable talking on the phone, how do you know you'll be comfortable talking face to face? If you're not up for video chatting, I would deffo suggest asking her if you can call her; you get to know so much more about a person when you talk on the phone as opposed to texting.
In any case, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
First find out if she's the real deal, not a phoney ... Then stop talking so much across the internet because otherwise you won't have enough to talk about in real life .... Ask her to come over, but give her a specific date, preferably in the early afternoon.
Reply 6
Yea agree with the others
get proof she is real first, either skype or something.
Catfish are all over the internet
It's best you verify her identity via webcam/skype or something.
I've been catfished before (not in a relationship sense) and let's say it was incredibly awkward, don't let it happen to you.
Hope it goes well if you do plan to meet up with her though :biggrin: just keep your wits with you.
Original post by NaeeAugustus
If you don't feel comfortable talking on the phone, how do you know you'll be comfortable talking face to face? If you're not up for video chatting, I would deffo suggest asking her if you can call her; you get to know so much more about a person when you talk on the phone as opposed to texting.
In any case, good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its not that I don't feel comfortable talking! Just seems like it would be awkward if I rang out of nowhere now? I don't know, I know I should have done it as soon as I got her number but didn't.
Its not that I don't feel comfortable talking! Just seems like it would be awkward if I rang out of nowhere now? I don't know, I know I should have done it as soon as I got her number but didn't.

Hmm, I don't think it's that awkward. I'm sure you could just ask her beforehand or at least suggest it, idk. I would feel more awkward meeting someone I've never actually spoken to!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending