The Student Room Group

BBC News: Half of university applicants 'have no back-up plan' for Results Day

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hardly surprising. I got in through clearing but I was left to fend for myself by my school and I barely knew anything about it - I just rode my coat-tails in all honesty!

Most students put off thinking about results day as much as possible, so it's no great surprise not many of them have back-up plans. When I was at school, results day was a case of "out of sight, out of mind" until the night before.

I don't miss it.
There seems to be a fair gap between end of A level exams and the end of term. Schools could easily arrange workshops on clearing, forced gap years, retakes and alternative career paths.
I'm not going to make a back-up plan. It's too much effort. If I don't get the grades I'll just try again next year.
I know what you mean, kinda. In the sense of my old school, hinting I had to do A-levels to get anywhere and pushing me to do ones which would look good for them and several of my friends were told "If you go to college and do a BTEC, you won't get into uni or get anywhere" So similar to you.....

I did BTEC, uni place got confirmed nearly a month ago and I'm happily preparing for it...But good luck to all you A Level-ers

I just am afraid schools and colleges (in league with the unis) are overseeing and discouraging a lot of potential talent/trades in their own interest.

I am 24 - everybody in my village close circle went to University bar one. Most of us are now out or doing a masters. The one that didn't - drives a Golf Soccrocco, goes on holiday twice a year, has lovely flat in Brighton and his own bespoke carpentary buisness. We that went - we are on £15 a day budget for luxeries maybe a pint after work if lucky/a few games of pool as the rest is taken up by rent/debts/heating and other essentials.
Original post by Daftpunker
I just am afraid schools and colleges (in league with the unis) are overseeing and discouraging a lot of potential talent/trades in their own interest.

I am 24 - everybody in my village close circle went to University bar one. Most of us are now out or doing a masters. The one that didn't - drives a Golf Soccrocco, goes on holiday twice a year, has lovely flat in Brighton and his own bespoke carpentary buisness. We that went - we are on £15 a day budget for luxeries maybe a pint after work if lucky/a few games of pool as the rest is taken up by rent/debts/heating and other essentials.

what exactly did the friend who didn't go to uni do?
In my experience I think what the teachers and the advice given to us young adults is not a good one. I finished my last year of sixth form last year and I have to say A levels are f***ed up. Its so unpredictable and even if you study your best sometimes things does not happen the way you want them to. I was a straight A student and when I did my A levels I came out with one B and two CC and I was one mark way from the next grade on each exam I took. Isn't that messed up?

Its like the examiners are marking the papers some weird way. I had so many friends last year who didn't even get into their insurance choice let alone their firm choice. They all took a gap year and are working in pound land/m&s and all the other shops.

I am not trying to put you guys down but A levels are no longer the same as they were before. The stupid grade boundaries don't even help either as this is what happen:

If the people who took the exam all found it too easy and people are getting really good marks the examiners set the boundaries really high but if people found it hard they leave the grade boundaries low.

Right now I am working in a company called Internationalsos as a 1st line support engineer apprentice- coz I withdrew my ucas application coz I was pissed off. And guess what? It was the best decision I made. I have 18 more months left to do and I will be starting uni in September 2014 while I am working so you know what?

My advice for all of you is that, don't be sad when you don't get into the uni of your choice just take a gap year off and do something worthwhile like me an apprenticeship trust me they are really worth-it. Also if you get pretty bad grades its not the end of the world okay. There are other options just don't rush things.

Take a deep breath and think carefully as what you choose will be the start of a new journey for you.

I hope everyone got the grades they deserve and if you didn't there are other options just don't be fooled by all this "if you don't go to uni you will become a poor person or your life will be messed up" bull ****. Its all lies okay. You don't have to go to uni right now. There is no rush just think carefully once you open your results okay?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ChocInABox
what exactly did the friend who didn't go to uni do?

I suppose he must have worked. Thats what people are doing now. Uni is not for everyone. If you dont go to uni your life will not be messed up. Nowadays, experience overrides qualifications. Yes you know everything in the book but once they give you a task to do how will you perform?

Like me for example, what they taught me in class during my A levels is not the same as when you work. The stuff you learn at school is so outdated and so irrelevant its like you wasted your time.

I am only going to uni so that I when i finish I will have two years of work experience- as a 1st line support engineer and my a levels, gcse and my degree in IT so that I know that I can at least compete with other people.
Original post by Daftpunker

I think its sad that so many people are told the message (I was) that if you
fail to make university your life is over and that's it to any form or
prosporus career.

I know people who have scrambled desperately around for a clearing place as if it was a loaf of bread in a inpoverished state. Some I know have just taken a place - not giving what the uni is or what course they'd be doing a second thought.

Schools and colleges sell the message university = success, university = a good career for you - this means as well we can put on our ratings 90% of our school leavers go to uni - 10% to Oxbridge - look how great we are!

The universities are delighted - they don't view students as people any
more...just 9-grand paychecks.

The students are sheep - worried that the rest of the flock is doing it so I
should too...worried to break the comfort and short-term security that
education provides. Another 3 years without responsibility, another 3 years I
don't have to worry...

Too many students the back up plan is clearing, if not...hey maybe a third year of college...if not there is no back up plan...

"Maybe full-time employment"...a lost voice maybe heard...

"oh god no...minimum wage for the rest of my life - that's what I was
told, I have to get to uni otherwise I'll fail, I need a place, any place, I'll
go anywhere in the UK - maybe even Tahiti...I'll do any course, paperclip
research, Countryside management, history of the spice girls...just don't make me apply for a job..."

Exaggeration? Not from what I've seen from some students when I was 18 and still see now."

I agree 100%. Its crazy. Its like the world has ended for them. Lol!!! I still laugh right now:smile:
Original post by MalteseMalteser
I think if there was a push for alternatives to university, to show that these can be back up plans incase results day doesn't go an applicants way, then that could be beneficial.

The country's teenagers seem to be in a state that, to do well in life, you must get a degree, which will attain you a job. However, something like an apprenticeships scheme can teach you the vocational way of life, let you earn money whilst you work, and not lead you into debt.

However, these aren't pushed because the mentality is that without a degree, you're kind of going nowhere in life - despite your talents, interests, and the obvious alternatives to university out there.

I am one of the student who had to choose between going to a uni I dont want to to and doing an apprenticeship. I chose an apprenticeship I never regretted it. I am learning so much. I think schools/colleges need to teach people more about apprenticeship and tell them that apprenitceship is for everyone even people who got A's and A star still take a gap year. I know of many.

:colondollar::colondollar::colondollar:
Original post by folashadeM
I suppose he must have worked. Thats what people are doing now. Uni is not for everyone. If you dont go to uni your life will not be messed up. Nowadays, experience overrides qualifications. Yes you know everything in the book but once they give you a task to do how will you perform?

Like me for example, what they taught me in class during my A levels is not the same as when you work. The stuff you learn at school is so outdated and so irrelevant its like you wasted your time.

I am only going to uni so that I when i finish I will have two years of work experience- as a 1st line support engineer and my a levels, gcse and my degree in IT so that I know that I can at least compete with other people.

I agree 100% with qwhat you've said :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending