The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

Economics at RHUL

Hey everybody! I'm an Economics student at Royal Holloway and I'm here to share my experience with you! So, if you have any doubts regarding the course or the university as a whole, don't be afraid to ask! I'll try to help you as much as I can! :biggrin:

Cheers!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Giu94
Hey everybody! I'm an Economics student at Royal Holloway and I'm here to share my experience with you! So, if you have any doubts regarding the course or the university as a whole, don't be afraid to ask! I'll try to help you as much as I can! :biggrin:

Cheers!

Have you connected to the uni via university connect?

This will help others to find you. and the info you provide about A levels etc will help applicants as well.
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
What would you say about Royal Holloway? Do you like the economics department? Do you like the social life and the location? Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by dean2013
What would you say about Royal Holloway? Do you like the economics department? Do you like the social life and the location? Thanks!

Hi dean2013!

I really enjoyed my first year at Royal Holloway! Differently from many universities in London, RHUL has a big open campus, which is nice when you want to disconnect from studying, classrooms and closed spaces! I particularly like my course (Economics) and the department as a whole. The people from the staff is always kind, well disposed and interested in how you are doing. Keeping contact with professors is not always easy, seen that the main classes may have up to 200 students. But once you go visit them during their office hours they are very receptive and helpful! On the other hand, you will have a lot of contact with teacher assistants. They can help you with any doubts and give you a lot of advices about their subjects.
About the social life and location I cannot say much because I don't leave on campus and I rather go out in my city. But I don't think it is that bad. Although Egham is a small city, students are always organizing thing to do.

I hope this can give you some idea of what being a RHUL student is like!

Cheers! :biggrin:
Make sure you attend enough seminars in first year so you can take the exams. I wouldn't aim too high in first year, 60%+ is fine.
Reply 5
Original post by Motorbiker
Have you connected to the uni via university connect?

This will help others to find you. and the info you provide about A levels etc will help applicants as well.

Hi motobiker :smile:

I've tried to connect to the uni via university connect but I'm not sure of what I should do.. Should I connect as an applicant even if I'm already a student?

Many thanks!
Original post by Giu94
Hi motobiker :smile:

I've tried to connect to the uni via university connect but I'm not sure of what I should do.. Should I connect as an applicant even if I'm already a student?

Many thanks!

Yea, we're looking at adding in previous years in a future update but for now do that. :smile:
Original post by Giu94

Cheers!

Could you tell me the reading list in first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Cheryl0816
Could you tell me the reading list in first year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Cheryl!

This is the link for current students at the Economics department : https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/economics/currentstudents/undergraduates/informationbyyeargroup.aspx

If you click in Year one and then in each of the modules you'll open a document with all the information you need to know about that course, including the required an optional readings.

I would advise you to buy the books for the modules which are book-based, e.g. Quantitative Methods and Principles of Economics. The suggested books can be easily found in the Bedford library.

I hope it helped a little! :smile:
How is the maths in your course? I love economics and I want to study it at university but I'm not very good at maths so I'm not sure if I should study economics at university. :s-smilie:
Original post by Giu94
Hi Cheryl!

This is the link for current students at the Economics department : https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/economics/currentstudents/undergraduates/informationbyyeargroup.aspx

If you click in Year one and then in each of the modules you'll open a document with all the information you need to know about that course, including the required an optional readings.

I would advise you to buy the books for the modules which are book-based, e.g. Quantitative Methods and Principles of Economics. The suggested books can be easily found in the Bedford library.

I hope it helped a little! :smile:

Thank you sooooooooo much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by The.Joker
How is the maths in your course? I love economics and I want to study it at university but I'm not very good at maths so I'm not sure if I should study economics at university. :s-smilie:

It is the perfect time for you to apply to Economics at Royal Holloway! From this year on, the second year is being split into two different pathways: one more focused on applied economics and the other more focused on maths! So, if you are not very confident with maths, you can still follow a degree on Economics!
In any case, I would advice you to prepare yourself before starting uni! The first year is still the same for everybody and maths is a compulsory module. If you have a good basis and more or less master the very basic, following the lessons won't be a nightmare. In addition, if during the course you feel like you have missed something and cannot follow as smoothly as you wanted, you can always go talk with the department staff and they will find the best way to help you, assigning you a peer tutor for example. (Last year I was a peer tutor for maths, and probably I'm going to be this year as well..)
So, don't let the maths scare you!

I hope it is helpful in some way!

Cheers!! :biggrin:
Hi i was just wondering whether, royal holloway would accpet applicants who may not reach the requirements to study economics exactly. For example ABC with the C in maths or even ACC?
Reply 13
Original post by Amrit2896
Hi i was just wondering whether, royal holloway would accpet applicants who may not reach the requirements to study economics exactly. For example ABC with the C in maths or even ACC?

Hi Amrit!

I'm not quiet sure about the admission requirements. I can say that I know a lot of people who don't have strong math skills and still were admitted. You should try to contact the admissions office and ask them directly. They are very friendly and if you explain your situation I'm sure they try to find a way to help you! I don't know if you read one of the posts in this thread, but the department is now running two different pathways from the second year: one more applied and one more mathematical. So if you are not very confident with maths, you can always choose to follow the more applied stream.

Hope this helped,

Cheers!
Hiii. Omg okay I'm very excited about applying to Royal Holloway. Me and my boyfriend are planning to come here together in September 2015. I'm applying for economics Bsc + Financial and Business economics Bsc. Yes,two courses. This is how much i love this uni. Hehe. Anyway I want to ask you what were your grades in AS? And how long did it take you to hear from the uni after submitting in your ucas? I'm predicted AAB and the uni wants ABB for both the courses. What do you think is the chance that I'll get an offer?
Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maleeha121
Hiii. Omg okay I'm very excited about applying to Royal Holloway. Me and my boyfriend are planning to come here together in September 2015. I'm applying for economics Bsc + Financial and Business economics Bsc. Yes,two courses. This is how much i love this uni. Hehe. Anyway I want to ask you what were your grades in AS? And how long did it take you to hear from the uni after submitting in your ucas? I'm predicted AAB and the uni wants ABB for both the courses. What do you think is the chance that I'll get an offer?
Thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

I obviously can't speak for the uni here, but you should get an offer with those predictions imo. What were your AS grades?

I got my offer 16 days after they confirmed that they had received my application. Good luck with your application and hope to see you here next year. :smile:

BTW, which course is your preferred course?
Thank youuuu!!
My as grades were BBBC. Retaking few modules.
Preferred is Bsc Financial and Business economics :smile:
What are you studying? And how were your A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank youuuu!!
My as grades were BBBC. Retaking few modules.
Preferred is Bsc Financial and Business economics :smile:
What are you studying? And how were your A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm doing Bsc Computer Science and Maths.
I got ABBB at A2 which I was disappointed with tbh. I felt like I did better in the exams.

I'm sure if you come here you'll have a great time. Did you come to the open day on the 4th?
Original post by Kool_Panda
I'm doing Bsc Computer Science and Maths.
I got ABBB at A2 which I was disappointed with tbh. I felt like I did better in the exams.

I'm sure if you come here you'll have a great time. Did you come to the open day on the 4th?

That's actually very good! I'm coming for the open day on the 25th October :smile: Are you living on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's actually very good! I'm coming for the open day on the 25th October :smile: Are you living on campus?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, I live in this building:

Quick Reply

Latest