The Student Room Group

The Grind

Hi everyone!

Just been browsing a few of the other fitness blogs and thought I would start my own

A little background information on myself (sorry if it turns a bit long winded! haha), I have just graduated from University with a degree in Applied Sports Science with a Strength and Conditioning pathway. I am looking to get into training other people and currently looking further into this as its a big passion of mine and have learnt (and continue to learn) a hell of a lot from online resources such as EliteFTS, Westside Barbell, Joe DeFranco, Zach Even-Esh etc

Height: 6"1

Current weight - 98kg

Body fat - 17%

When I first started training, I weighed a measly 79kg! But by combining a solid training programme and nutrition, I have progressed to where I am today and continuing to look to improve with the potential possibility of competing in a power lifting competition in the future

My current 1RMs:

Bench - 105kg

Deadlift - 150kg (Looking to massively improve this in the coming months!)

Squat - 110kg

Overhead Press - 65kg

Just recently set some goal numbers for each of the 4 lifts above and they are:

Bench - 120kg

Deadlift - 200kg

Squat - 125kg (Taking things slow with the squat, I suffer from tendinosis in both knees which makes this exercise my weakest one unfortunately)

Overhead Press - 72.5kg

So thats some information about me, I currently train 4 times a week at Strength and Performance in Stockport, Cheshire, under the guidance of two top coaches. Currently focusing on a lot of speed work on the main lifts to help improve my ability to move the bar as quick as possible! Will be providing training logs and the odd video of my progress. Any questions or anything like that, give me a shout and i'll get to them ASAP

Thanks for reading guys!

Scroll to see replies

In. whats your routine atm?
Reply 2
Original post by AreebWithaHat
In. whats your routine atm?

Currently 4 days a week, following a programme put together by the coaches down at the gym working at between 50-80% of 1RM for each of the 4 big lifts with accessory work thrown in afterwards. This cycle is focusing on a big weak point of mine in being able to produce speed onto the bar rather than just relying on strength. Hopefully, it will be easier to understand and follow as the weeks go by and I put the training logs on

I didn't train today, but here is yesterdays bench session (05/08/14)

A1 - Bench Press (Emphasis here is on solid technique and being able to press the bar as fast as possible during the concentric phase)
55kg - 1x8
60kg - 1x8
67.5kg - 1x8

Then backed down to 50kg but with the addition of 20kg worth of chains onto the bar for pause reps. 4x8

B1 - Incline DB Press - 25kg
4x12
B2 - Meadow Rows - 40kg
4x15

C1 - Bodyweight Ring Tricep Extensions
3x12
C2 - Rope Climb - 3x5

Finished off with some extra back and tricep work
D1 - Band Seated Rows - 3x15
D2 - Tate Press - 10kg
3x12

Tomorrow morning I'm heading in for a lower body session and then on Friday it will be Overhead Press!
Reply 3
Here is 2 links to my current PB's and shows my current need to improve bar speed to help progress to heavier weights!

Deadlift - http://instagram.com/p/pMDaBtHqUi/

Bench (Didn't record the 105kg press, but heres a few reps at 100kg) - http://instagram.com/p/oN_taHnqSB/

What do people think?
solid form on both
Reply 5
solid form on both

Thanks! Hopefully the form will stay consistent once I attempt the heavier weights again
Strong bench! In. When do you intend to hit your targets?
strong bro bench
mirin bench
Reply 9
Original post by Pavzky
Strong bench! In. When do you intend to hit your targets?

Thanks! bench used to be a massive weak point of mine, but since I have learnt how to bench properly and hammered the assistance work, its quickly become one of my strongest

Following a new programme which starts off with doing the main lifts (squat, dead, bench, OHP) for sets of 10 reps then after 3 weeks it goes down to 8, then after another 3 weeks down to 6 and so on until I get down to one rep on each, so looking at around 2-3 months until I attempt to hit my targets and then hopefully be able to set some new ones all being well!
Reply 10
Today was supposed to be squat day, but my patella tendon is struggling a lot at the minute so decided to drop the squats in favour of some slow eccentric box squats to try and combat the problem

07/08/14

A1 - Eccentric box squats (6 second eccentric followed by an explosive concentric phase with a relatively light weight)
40kg - 4x8

B2 - Good mornings
50kg - 3x10

C1 - Reverse sled drag
160kg 4x30m
C2 - RDL
60kg - 4x10

D2 - Finisher - Stone Play for 15 minutes
This involved a 50kg stone, deadlifting it up and onto my right shoulder and vice versa for the opposite side x 3 reps then carrying the stone around the gym until grip gave way
Got through 5 sets of this and called it a day with some soft tissue work and stretching

Looking forward to blitzing tomorrows overhead press session
Original post by jake1104
Thanks! bench used to be a massive weak point of mine, but since I have learnt how to bench properly and hammered the assistance work, its quickly become one of my strongest

Following a new programme which starts off with doing the main lifts (squat, dead, bench, OHP) for sets of 10 reps then after 3 weeks it goes down to 8, then after another 3 weeks down to 6 and so on until I get down to one rep on each, so looking at around 2-3 months until I attempt to hit my targets and then hopefully be able to set some new ones all being well!

what assistance do you recommend for the bench?
Reply 12
what assistance do you recommend for the bench?

Make sure your looking at improving the major muscle groups involved in the bench (shoulders, tris, back).I used to believe that direct chest work was the only way to improve my bench, but then as I researched more I became more educated on what helped improve my bench. Here's a list of the accessory exercises I like to use:

Back - Chins, pull-ups, all types of rows (dumbbell, barbell, recline, meadow), snatch grip deadlifts, dumbbell pullovers

Triceps - Extensions (barbell, dumbbell), dips, floor press, tate press, close-grip bench

Shoulders - V-press, front raise, lateral raise, rear delt flyes

Nothing really revolutionary, pick 2/3 for each and when you get bored of one, replace it with an alternative for a while. Also, make sure your getting good rest and the correct nutrition as these are two key areas that are often overlooked

Hope this helps man!
Make sure your looking at improving the major muscle groups involved in the bench (shoulders, tris, back).I used to believe that direct chest work was the only way to improve my bench, but then as I researched more I became more educated on what helped improve my bench. Here's a list of the accessory exercises I like to use:

Back - Chins, pull-ups, all types of rows (dumbbell, barbell, recline, meadow), snatch grip deadlifts, dumbbell pullovers

Triceps - Extensions (barbell, dumbbell), dips, floor press, tate press, close-grip bench

Shoulders - V-press, front raise, lateral raise, rear delt flyes

Nothing really revolutionary, pick 2/3 for each and when you get bored of one, replace it with an alternative for a while. Also, make sure your getting good rest and the correct nutrition as these are two key areas that are often overlooked

Hope this helps man!

very helpful, cheers :smile:
Reply 14
Final session of the week 08/08/2014

A1 - Overhead med ball throw
6kg - 5x5

B1 - Overhead press (Had the feeling that the bar was moving fairly quickly today, so hoping this is a good sign of progress and that my set target should be pretty attainable)
32.5kg - 1x8
37.5kg - 1x8
42.5kg - 1x8
47.5kg - 1x8
32.5kg - 3x8 Pause reps

C1 - Log Press (New toy down the gym, always good to try new things and this was a great implement, looking forward to progressing the weight with this and seeing if it helps with the bench/overhead
55kg - 4x6

D1 - Seated Arnold press
15kg - 4x8
D2 - Chins
Bodyweight - 5x5

E1 - V press
7.5kg - 3x15
E2 - DB Row
30kg - 3x20

F1 - Fat BB curls
30kg - 3x15
F2 - Plate front raise
20kg - 3x10
Reply 15
First session of the week and glad the deadlifts are feeling light and quick!

A1 - Deadlift
82.5kg - 1x8
92.5kg - 1x8
102.5kg - 1x8
115kg - 1x8
80kg - 3x8 Pause reps

B1 - GHR
4x15
B2 - Bulgarian SS Iso Holds
4x30secs

C1 - Farmer walks (60kg)
5x30m
C2 - Waiter walks
5x30m
C3 - Deadlift Holds
100kg - 5x30seconds
C4 - Band pullaparts
5x20
Reply 16
13/08/2014

A1 - Bench press
57.5kg - 1x8
62.5kg - 1x8
67.5kg - 1x8
72.5kg - 1x8
57.5kg - 2x8 paused

B1 - Incline DB press
25kg - 4x12
B2 - Meadow rows
40kg - 2x15
50kg - 2x15

C1 - Bodyweight tricep extensions
3x12
C2 - Rope climb
3x5

14/08/2014

A1 - Eccentric box squats
40kg - 2x8
50kg - 2x8

B2 - Weighted GHR
2 chains (10kg) - 4x10

C1 - Reverse sled drag
160kg - 4x30m
C2 - RDL
60kg - 4x10

D1 - Sled GPP work
60kg
Forwards 2 minutes
Lateral 2 minutes
Rows 2 minutes
x2 = 15 minutes
Going to try and build the time on this up as the weeks go on until around 25/30 minutes, then add some more weight and start again
Reply 17
Been doing a bit of overtime at work recently, so managed to get into the gym this morning for my first session of the week

19/08/14

A1: Overhead press
35kg - 1x8
40kg - 1x8
45kg - 1x8
50kg - 1x12 (A rep PB for me at this weight, hopefully it bodes well for when I attempt the 70kg....)
35kg - 2x8 paused reps

B1 - Log press
55kg - 4x6
B2 - Arnold press
15kg - 4x10

C1 - DB rows
30kg - 1x20
35kg - 3x20
C2 - Seated V press
7.5kg - 4x15

D1 - Fat bar curls
30kg - 3x12
Reply 18
Here is 2 links to my current PB's and shows my current need to improve bar speed to help progress to heavier weights!

Deadlift - http://instagram.com/p/pMDaBtHqUi/

Bench (Didn't record the 105kg press, but heres a few reps at 100kg) - http://instagram.com/p/oN_taHnqSB/

What do people think?

Excellent technique on that deadlift.

Also...lol @ Fight Music by D12 in the background, epic.

Repped.
Reply 19
Thanks!

Haha, you never know what track is going to come next in there, goes from D12 to Stone Roses!

Quick Reply

Latest