The Student Room Group

Is the glass half full or half empty?

Scroll to see replies

Empty and full are sorta opposite in meaning. Therefore we can say that the glass is both half empty and half full.

That was ez :cool:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 21
The volume of water currently contained within the glass is exactly 50% of the volume of water that could possibly be contained within the glass.

Vcurrent=12Vmaximum V_{current}=\frac{1}{2} V_{maximum}

Problem solved.
Reply 22
Ah, another thread posted in Philosophy that really belongs in Chat.
Water is an elemen?
Original post by Noble.

:giggle:
Original post by keromedic
Water is an elemen?

:giggle:

Correction: Element*

Yes, water is one of the four elements in philosophical terms.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/a/four-elements

Original post by Noble.

If you don't have anything useful to post in this thread. You should just walk away. Shoo Shoo.
Reply 25
It is both, multiple relativistic statements can be true for any absolute state

I've never studied philosophy though so maybe I'm talking bull****
Reply 26
Due to structure of the atoms, isn't pretty much everything empty space?
Reply 27
Original post by How Are You?
Correction: Element*

Yes, water is one of the four elements in philosophical terms.

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/a/four-elements

If you don't have anything useful to post in this thread. You should just walk away. Shoo Shoo.

You should have read my comment as saying "This discussion isn't on anything useful philosophically and is just down to how you define "filled" - beyond that it's completely uninteresting and so is pretty much as mundane a 'philosophical' question can be"

Is that better?
Definitely, half full, in my opinion. :smile:
Isn't it 99% empty because only 1% of the universe is matter :P
Original post by Noble.
You should have read my comment as saying "This discussion isn't on anything useful philosophically and is just down to how you define "filled" - beyond that it's completely uninteresting and so is pretty much as mundane a 'philosophical' question can be"

Is that better?

LOL. You haven't contributed anything of substance to this philosophical side of the forum (I stalked your profile). And you're saying that this discussion is not interesting and a mundane philosophical question? Am i supposed to post only interesting philosophical questions? Are you expecting me to please you? Hah! Ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Try harder, troll.
(edited 9 years ago)
Both.
Reply 32
The glass can never be half empty. Because the other half is filled with air.

But it's a different story once you go outside the earth's atmosphere.

Hence, the optimist wins by default...

Your thoughts?

Considering that this analogy refers to the circumstances of man and his view on them, I think twists like "outside the earth's atmosphere" and "the other half has air" don't apply.

The glass is both half empty and half full. In other words,

0.5 = 1 - 0.5
Reply 33
It's both half full and half empty. It's like saying, is the nucleus of an iron atom composed of protons or neutrons? The question is thus rendered invalid, because the answer is both.
Reply 34
Whilst you guys were debating whether the water in the cup was half full or half empty, I drank it.

-Opportunist :smile:
Reply 35
It's half full. Come on, let's be as positive as possible.
Reply 36
The glass can never be half empty. Because the other half is filled with air.

But it's a different story once you go outside the earth's atmosphere.

Hence, the optimist wins by default...

Your thoughts?

Its not a different story outside the earths atmosphere at all, you've not defined 'empty'. Outside the earths atmosphere theres always atoms appearing and disappearing in an instant.

On the flip side to your answer you could argue that atoms are almost completely made up of nothing. So in fact the large majority would be.. nothing.

I think the more important question is how is this a philosophical discussion and not just smart arse answers?
Neither, it's merely a glass with some liquid in it. The fact we see them differently shows that there is no valid universal answer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending