The Student Room Group

Is a size 10 a plus size?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ldsbabe
What are you talking about? :s-smilie:
You said women with boobs and bum? Loads of women are well endowed in those regions (myself included), and I'm definitely not a 'horrible fat woman'.
You really must be delusional…the whole of society is geared towards telling us how skinny is better, how only thin women with no tits can be attractive and how we all should strive to have the figure of a 12 year old boy.

What? All I hear is "men want a woman with meat on her" and "real women have curves". Similarly naturally petite women get called 12 year old boys (as you have just done). It works both ways. I think people tend to pay more attention to any message which doesn't promote her own body type tbh. There's always a criticism for everyone.
Original post by ZeniB
it just annoys me how these days, larger women actually receive praise for being fat. Its like all those horrible fat women who actually get paid for putting on weight, there was a story in the news about a woman who put on 10 stone because she wanted to get rich from modelling. these days if a man actually likes smaller women he's accused of promoting eating disorders or something, I just think it's nice how for once a male is declaring his preference for smaller women in a society where being fat has become all too common.

Link me to this story about a woman putting on 10 stone for modelling?

I remember a story where a model couldn't get work as a size 10, and any smaller was unsustainable for her, so she put on a little bit of weight to be able to work as a size 14 in 'plus size' modelling - but that wouldn't be 10 stone!
There is still a lot of pressure to lose weight and plenty of things in place for support like weight watchers, diet ads on tv etc; but whilst someone is losing the weight or even if they are not attempting to, you can't just not sell clothes to fit them. Remember as well that these are businesses and not there to be moral beacons of how we should live. If there is a demand thus a profit they will make them, its not to congratulate them on being fat but supplying them with clothes so they don't have to walk around naked. I am a 12 but 5'11 with a healthy bmi, if the media thinks that is fat then who cares?
Original post by RibenaRockstar
Link me to this story about a woman putting on 10 stone for modelling?

I remember a story where a model couldn't get work as a size 10, and any smaller was unsustainable for her, so she put on a little bit of weight to be able to work as a size 14 in 'plus size' modelling - but that wouldn't be 10 stone!

it was in a magazine i read at work, cant remember what one it was I'm afraid. genuinely, Im not bull****ting..
Original post by ZeniB
it was in a magazine i read at work, cant remember what one it was I'm afraid. genuinely, Im not bull****ting..

Googled it and nothing came up...
Original post by thechemistress
I'm a size 8 on bottoms but I'm forced to go with a size 10/12 on top because I literally cannot fit my boobs into anything smaller.

hey :sexface:
Original post by ZeniB
Yes but what I mean is that Hollister etc get so much crap for only selling smaller sizes. Yet if shops only sell big sizes that's fine, everyone is just like 'yeah, let's promote curvy women!' it really annoys me how these days you're actually hard pushed to find a size 6 or an 8 in the shops these days. Maybe if there weren't so many massive sizes available then people would be forced to lose weight. It's disgusting how nearly 40% of the adult population is clinically overweight...

The difference with hollister is that they promote unrealistic weight goals which for the vast majority of people are not natural. Size 0-8 look unhealthy on anyone over a certain height. I know plenty of girls who wear a size 14 and you wouldn't look at them and think they were fat, if I wore any smaller than a 12, or a 10 at a push I'd look like a skeleton.

We're obviously shopping in different places because any shop that I go into have an abundance of size 6s and 8s as well as 16+ but no 10s 12s or 14s
Original post by ldsbabe
Googled it and nothing came up...

well, I dont know, it was in a magazine like hello or something? along the lines of a women deliberately putting on obscene amounts of weight so she could make more money.
Original post by xOHarriet
The difference with hollister is that they promote unrealistic weight goals which for the vast majority of people are not natural. Size 0-8 look unhealthy on anyone over a certain height. I know plenty of girls who wear a size 14 and you wouldn't look at them and think they were fat, if I wore any smaller than a 12, or a 10 at a push I'd look like a skeleton.

We're obviously shopping in different places because any shop that I go into have an abundance of size 6s and 8s as well as 16+ but no 10s 12s or 14s

yep I see your point. But there are way too many high street stores, marks and spencers, next, h&m, etc, who simply don't really stock enough size 8s or 6s. but there are abundant amounts of size 18 and above. it's all wrong imo..

THIS. I can't bold sentences on my phone but the last line is such truth. It's impossible! It's either a 6, 8, 16 or 18 +. Why there are so few 10s, 12s and 14s is beyond me.
Original post by thechemistress
THIS. I can't bold sentences on my phone but the last line is such truth. It's impossible! It's either a 6, 8, 16 or 18 +. Why there are so few 10s, 12s and 14s is beyond me.

Probably because they are the most commonly purchased sizes so run out quickly. Still annoying though!
I'm a size 10/12, although I'm trying to lose a bit of weight. At 5 foot 4, I'm apparently "very just overweight", but I have boobs and a bum - otherwise I'd probably be an 8/10.

I can't stand the thought of being underweight or overweight being praised like it seems to be.

When I did volunteer work at a charity shop, I found this pair of size 30 pyjamas. I was absolutely horrified, and a little sickened.
Original post by ldsbabe
What are you talking about? :s-smilie:
You said women with boobs and bum? Loads of women are well endowed in those regions (myself included), and I'm definitely not a 'horrible fat woman'.
You really must be delusional…the whole of society is geared towards telling us how skinny is better, how only thin women with no tits can be attractive and how we all should strive to have the figure of a 12 year old boy.

What are you talking about? Fashion models?

Fashion models might be built like coat hangers, but that has nothing to do with projecting the model's attractiveness and everything to do with making the clothes look good. In fact, not only do the clothes (apparently) look better on skinnier people, but a more well-endowed and classically good looking model might well detract attention from the clothes and onto the model, which is the last thing that the fashion designers who pay to get their clothes into these magazines want.

Now, look at other types of model where the body image that is presented is itself meant to be attractive and desirable to the opposite sex. Underwear models, swimwear models, glamour models, or whatever. Almost any kind of model apart from fashion models, actually. What do we see there? Tits and hips.

High fashion isn't 'the whole of society' - anybody who thinks that fashion modelling is about presenting a certain kind of body image don't understand the point of fashion shoots. These shoots are intended as an art form, not a demonstration of how your average person in Tesco should look.
(edited 9 years ago)
I think it doesn't matter, as long as you aren't ridiculously obese or ridiculously skinny it's fine. I think Health is the most important thing, I like feeling fit like my body is working the best it can, if I put on a few pounds I can really feel it fitness & health wise. People are built differently to others some are naturally very slim and some are chunkier as long as you feel good health wise it's fine! My BMI is 22.5 and i'm size 10 bottom sometimes a 12 on top due to DD tittays I couldn't maintain being a size 4-6 sometimes I want to lose weight other times I can't be bothered!!!
Original post by ZeniB
Yes but what I mean is that Hollister etc get so much crap for only selling smaller sizes. Yet if shops only sell big sizes that's fine, everyone is just like 'yeah, let's promote curvy women!' it really annoys me how these days you're actually hard pushed to find a size 6 or an 8 in the shops these days. Maybe if there weren't so many massive sizes available then people would be forced to lose weight. It's disgusting how nearly 40% of the adult population is clinically overweight...

It's how they promote their clothing that give these shops a negative reputation not the sizes; for example Urban Outfitters - they sold a top which basically promoted Eating Disorders and I think Hollister did the same thing. These 'plus size' retailers don't sell clothing that offends people. Yeah nearly half of population are clinically overweight but 1 in 100 women (approx 269,000) suffer from an ED and 11 to 13 million people has psychological issues or problems connected to food.
Source - http://www.anorexiabulimiacare.org.uk/information-and-statistics-media

Also these 'clinically overweight' people may have an eating disorder too; anorexia and bulimia are the most common eating disorders but there are other ones too.
(edited 9 years ago)

But holister stocks up to a size 14 or 16? I feel the same. Also I can never find any 8s much. But I kinda want to be a 16+ since they always seem to have the best clothes in the sale :angry:
Original post by TurboCretin
What are you talking about? Fashion models?

Fashion models might be built like coat hangers, but that has nothing to do with projecting the model's attractiveness and everything to do with making the clothes look good. In fact, not only do the clothes (apparently) look better on skinnier people, but a more well-endowed and classically good looking model might well detract attention from the clothes and onto the model, which is the last thing that the fashion designers who pay to get their clothes into these magazines want.

Now, look at other types of model where the body image that is presented is itself meant to be attractive and desirable to the opposite sex. Underwear models, swimwear models, glamour models, or whatever. Almost any kind of model apart from fashion models, actually. What do we see there? Tits and hips.

High fashion isn't 'the whole of society' - anybody who thinks that fashion modelling is about presenting a certain kind of body image don't understand the point of fashion shoots. These shoots are intended as an art form, not a demonstration of how your average person in Tesco should look.

^^ Thank you. I was just preparing to say all this, but you said it much better than I could have!

So yeah, I completely agree. There is definitely 0% pressure for women to have small boobs. Trust me, I know.

Addressing the original point, yes, I agree labeling size 10 as 'plus size' would be ridiculous, but if Simply Be have decided to stock sizes outside of their usual range, then good for them. It's hardly a political statement.

Anyway, I think it's probably time to ease up on prosecuting shops for 'promoting obesity', simply for stocking larger sizes. They are not encouraging people to be unhealthy. They are providing sizes for people who before might have struggled, and all credit to them for that! I don't think anyone has ever decided to try and put on weight/actively try and not lose weight in order to still fit plus size clothing, which is what sounds like is being suggested here.

I think this sounds like some people are getting frustrated because smaller sizes aren't being catered for (e.g. by not having 6s or 8s in stock at certain shops), but this just comes off as extremely self centered.

For example, I walked past a plus-size store a few months ago and saw a really cute top, which I would have probably bought if they'd done a size 6. This frustrated me a little... did they not understand how annoying it was that I couldn't wear what I wanted because of my body size?
And then I was like... Oh... Right. Gotcha. Because from what I've heard, this is what plus-size people have had to struggle with for years and if anything I am glad that their options are widening, because they deserve nice, well fitting, reasonably priced clothes just as much as I do.
And I honestly believe I've probably had it a lot easier. I'm lucky enough to wear a size that is almost always catered to, and there is no point whining when for once it is not.
Original post by ilem
Size 12 is massive unless you're tall.

Hey! I have size 6 waist measurements but have to get size 12 knickers or my bum is squashed! (damn you wide hips!)

You're wrong about Hollister promoting 'unrealistic' sizes. Ever looked at the leg LENGTHS on those tiny size 4, 6 and 8 jeans? They only do 30" and 32" leg lengths. They only allow SHORT petite people to fit in to them. Tall and skinny is what the models are 'promoting' yet Hollister does not supply the leg length for this, so are not promoting 'unrealistic' weight goals.
I need size 6 or 8 jeans otherwise they are baggy around my waist yet being 5'8-9 I need 34" leg lengths so can't wear any of Hollister's jeans as they are designed for tiny short people.

It's so hard to find jeans for tall thin people. Most shops thin clothes are designed for midgets. It's so ironic how I have the 'unrealistic' body models are 'promoting' yet can't find clothes since shops assume tall people are bigger outwards. I can't wear any of GAPs jeans since they only do their long length in bigger waist sizes.

Tall and thin is my natural body shape. I could eat 50 cakes and still look the same. This makes my bmi ridiculously low (it's like 14) but I know I'm healthy. I can run a mile in 7 minutes. bmis aren't accurate.
Talking about clothes sizes is a bit pointless anyway. I have sizes 6-12 in my wardrobe and they all fit about the same.
They need to standardise the sizings before you can start talking about what size is a plus size. Just a couple of days ago I went a bought a size 10 pair of jeans then tried another pair in a different shop on and I was just fitting into a size 14 :frown: (I refused to buy anything size 14 even though they were really nice haha). So in one shop I was a fairly skinny size and in another I was bordering on the plus size clothing- how does that work???
Original post by feathered-soul
Talking about clothes sizes is a bit pointless anyway. I have sizes 6-12 in my wardrobe and they all fit about the same.
They need to standardise the sizings before you can start talking about what size is a plus size. Just a couple of days ago I went a bought a size 10 pair of jeans then tried another pair in a different shop on and I was just fitting into a size 14 :frown: (I refused to buy anything size 14 even though they were really nice haha). So in one shop I was a fairly skinny size and in another I was bordering on the plus size clothing- how does that work???

It annoys me hoe some shops like holister have xs,s.m.l.xl as clothing. And the jean in other shop say 32' in waist and that confuses me more since I don't measure my waist and other shops are 8,10,12 Ect . Wish shops could just stick to one size because I'm never sure what size I am so I have to try 2 sizes on which is a pain... Sometime I hate shopping

Quick Reply

Latest