The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Travel to Rotherham

So hopefully if I get the grades I'll be going to sheffield in September. Just wondering if anyone travels from rotherham to uni and what the best travel cards and deals are to travel from uni to home in rotherham and back at weekends and sometimes in the week are.
Obviously I no longer have a student pass and I'll be travelling a lot.
So what's the cheapest pass to get?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

If you'll only be using the bus, I'd get the annual Stagecoach student ticket. I'm planning on getting the bus and tram one as I'll be living in halls but working at Meadowhall.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Dusky Mauve
If you'll only be using the bus, I'd get the annual Stagecoach student ticket. I'm planning on getting the bus and tram one as I'll be living in halls but working at Meadowhall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

How much are they both?
Original post by Jake1212
How much are they both?

I don't think this years prices have been released yet, but I think last year the bus and tram one was £280.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I don't think this years prices have been released yet, but I think last year the bus and tram one was £280.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm assuming it will go up a bit, do they give you free use or make it like 70p?

Really clueless haha!
I'm assuming it will go up a bit, do they give you free use or make it like 70p?

Really clueless haha!

That would be your ticket for the year, so you just show it to the driver every time you get on the bus, but it's only valid if you show your student card as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
That would be your ticket for the year, so you just show it to the driver every time you get on the bus, but it's only valid if you show your student card as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks!
There are a few options. There's a First bus only pass that costs £180, covers ALL of South Yorkshire and lasts from Sept 1-end of June/July, which works out at about £4 per week bus travel. Awesome value if you're only taking the bus and only need First.

There are also Stagecoach bus only, bus + tram as well as a pass that allows you onto all buses/trams and trains. Not really considered them so couldn't tell you prices, info is easy to find though.

FYI student fare is now £1 for uni students and is not on ALL buses - I think all Stagecoach and some First buses, always worth asking the driver. Gone up a bit since 50/60p fares when I started uni!
Reply 8
Original post by Hannahbal
There are a few options. There's a First bus only pass that costs £180, covers ALL of South Yorkshire and lasts from Sept 1-end of June/July, which works out at about £4 per week bus travel. Awesome value if you're only taking the bus and only need First.

There are also Stagecoach bus only, bus + tram as well as a pass that allows you onto all buses/trams and trains. Not really considered them so couldn't tell you prices, info is easy to find though.

FYI student fare is now £1 for uni students and is not on ALL buses - I think all Stagecoach and some First buses, always worth asking the driver. Gone up a bit since 50/60p fares when I started uni!

Thanks! I really don't know whether I need first/stage or both yet, I'll leave that problem until I know I'm in:wink:
Thanks! I really don't know whether I need first/stage or both yet, I'll leave that problem until I know I'm in:wink:

Hello,

In answer to your query, the University often partnership with the bus/tram/train companies to offer reduced prices for students. If you hang on until September, you'll be able to find out about all the offers they have available and pick the best one for you

Best wishes,

Student Communications Team

I definitely agree with opting for an annual ticket from either Stagecoach or First bus. A student ticket is now £1, and since you're going to be catching a couple of buses a day, its going to be costly if you decide on paying for every bus ticket. As far as I know, X78 definitely goes from Sheffield city center ( around 5-10 minutes away from the uni) to Rotherham and you'd also want to be catching 52/51 from the city centre into the heart of the campus (drops you right outside the student union), unless of course you want to walk there 'cause it isn't really that far away. X78 is a first bus, 52 is both a first and stagecoach bus (very convenient if you're late), and 51 is only a first bus. I'm not really sure about other buses going to Rotherham as lately the bus services and routes have been changing, so a lot of the buses that used to go to rotherham have stopped doing so. Alternatively, you could use the tramlines to get around sheffield faster but they're very expensive so I doubt you'd want to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by HeavyTeddy
I definitely agree with opting for an annual ticket from either Stagecoach or First bus. A student ticket is now £1, and since you're going to be catching a couple of buses a day, its going to be costly if you decide on paying for every bus ticket. As far as I know, X78 definitely goes from Sheffield city center ( around 5-10 minutes away from the uni) to Rotherham and you'd also want to be catching 52/51 from the city centre into the heart of the campus (drops you right outside the student union), unless of course you want to walk there 'cause it isn't really that far away. X78 is a first bus, 52 is both a first and stagecoach bus (very convenient if you're late), and 51 is only a first bus. I'm not really sure about other buses going to Rotherham as lately the bus services and routes have been changing, so a lot of the buses that used to go to rotherham have stopped doing so. Alternatively, you could use the tramlines to get around sheffield faster but they're very expensive so I doubt you'd want to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

^I'll add to that, 69 also goes between Sheff and Roth. 120 runs from Sheff Interchange onto West St/Glossop Rd (also very central to the uni campus). 120 is both First and Stagecoach (some of the shared F-SG route numbers will accept a pass for the other service provider seeing as they're the exact same route, but I'm not sure if this will apply to an annual South Yorkshire ticket (I know they definitely accept Sheffield-wide passes from the other service on shared routes such as 120 and 52 so you'll have to check).
Reply 12
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hello,

In answer to your query, the University often partnership with the bus/tram/train companies to offer reduced prices for students. If you hang on until September, you'll be able to find out about all the offers they have available and pick the best one for you

Best wishes,

Student Communications Team

Thanks, where so i find the offers?
Reply 13

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay thanks, I don't take busses that often atm so it's complicated for me! Where would I find the annual passes? All I can find are passes costing like £850!
Reply 14
I definitely agree with opting fwlor an annual ticket from either Stagecoach or First bus. A student ticket is now £1, and since you're going to be catching a couple of buses a day, its going to be costly if you decide on paying for every bus ticket. As far as I know, X78 definitely goes from Sheffield city center ( around 5-10 minutes away from the uni) to Rotherham and you'd also want to be catching 52/51 from the city centre into the heart of the campus (drops you right outside the student union), unless of course you want to walk there 'cause it isn't really that far away. X78 is a first bus, 52 is both a first and stagecoach bus (very convenient if you're late), and 51 is only a first bus. I'm not really sure about other buses going to Rotherham as lately the bus services and routes have been changing, so a lot of the buses that used to go to rotherham have stopped doing so. Alternatively, you could use the tramlines to get around sheffield faster but they're very expensive so I doubt you'd want to do that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would it be this?
http://m.firstgroup.com/ukbus/south_yorkshire/farestickets/tickets-student_bus_travel-tickets.php

That would be the one. Make sure to get it at the beginning of the term as it runs by term rather than a full year. By that I mean if you were to get the annual ticket in January it would still end in September as opposed to going full year round back to January, so getting it in late September/Early October is economical.
Reply 16
That would be the one. Make sure to get it at the beginning of the term as it runs by term rather than a full year. By that I mean if you were to get the annual ticket in January it would still end in September as opposed to going full year round back to January, so getting it in late September/Early October is economical.

Ahh yeah I get you! Thanks, I think that's what I will do then. It's says 'Only available to holders of SHU, UoS or NUS cards', I'm assuming UoS is uni of sheff, how would I go about getting that??
Ahh yeah I get you! Thanks, I think that's what I will do then. It's says 'Only available to holders of SHU, UoS or NUS cards', I'm assuming UoS is uni of sheff, how would I go about getting that??

During induction week you should get your card. To speed the process up, they ask you to complete most of the registration process online (trust me it's so much faster if you do) and one of things they ask you to do is upload a passport sized, recent photo of yourself as they need it to put it on your card. I didn't do this and had to learn the hard way by going back and forth buildings to get a picture taken then back to fetch the Ucard.
Reply 18
During induction week you should get your card. To speed the process up, they ask you to complete most of the registration process online (trust me it's so much faster if you do) and one of things they ask you to do is upload a passport sized, recent photo of yourself as they need it to put it on your card. I didn't do this and had to learn the hard way by going back and forth buildings to get a picture taken then back to fetch the Ucard.

Right okay haha! So rather than having everything ready before actually going, I'll have to wait until after induction to get it?
Right okay haha! So rather than having everything ready before actually going, I'll have to wait until after induction to get it?

It's inconvenient, but yes you'll have to wait for your Ucard before getting the annual bus ticket.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending