The Student Room Group

Capillary thickness and tight junctions

Are capillaries one endothelial cell THICK, or are they one endothelial cell in circumference? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Also, in regards to the intercellular junction, are they formed of tight junctions and consequently do fenestrated and sinusoidal capillaries have less tight junctions then continuous?

Original post by intex
Are capillaries one endothelial cell THICK, or are they one endothelial cell in circumference? I'm leaning towards the latter.

Capillaries very thin due to being only one cell thick, i.e the former not the latter.
Original post by intex

Also, in regards to the intercellular junction, are they formed of tight junctions and consequently do fenestrated and sinusoidal capillaries have less tight junctions then continuous?

Capillaries at the most consist of nearly 3 to four endothelial cells arranged circumferentially. Therefore, the former observation is more accurate.

Not all intercellular junctions are tight junctions. Just to give you an example, there are gap junctions that can permit ionic exchange, desmosomes and hemidesmosomes and adhering junctions as well. While you do not need to know about these, you can take that as a case that are multiple types of junctions.
Fenestrations are actually incidences where the plasma membrane as well as the basement membrane are deficient, allowing exchange.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending