The Student Room Group

Gardening is racist

A British University professor has labelled a gardening show as racist because it referred to native plants, see attached. Due to ideological programming such contaminated people are triggered without even realising it by keywords such as "native" in order to hold their stance.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1407395852.283586.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Great British Bake Off will be deemed racist next.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/11012398/Is-Gardeners-Question-Time-racist.html <--- Here's a larger article of the story.

I don't understand how it's racist. It's just a gardening show. I've never actually listened to the show, but I can't make a link between racism and gardening.
Original post by Tilly-Elizabeth
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening/11012398/Is-Gardeners-Question-Time-racist.html <--- Here's a larger article of the story.

I don't understand how it's racist. It's just a gardening show. I've never actually listened to the show, but I can't make a link between racism and gardening.

I would LOVE to read his research paper justifying his argument.

I'm sure it's a classic.

:cookie:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
I would LOVE to read his research paper justifying his argument.

I'm sure it's a classic.

:cookie:

I bet it's entertaining *Grabs the Popcorn*
That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.

You want pure soil because certain plants will only grow in certain types of soil.

People have discussions about non-native plants because they are generally either more difficult to successfully grow or very invasive.

That is it.

How the hell do rhododendrons equate to pakistani? They are literally found on every single continent on the planet naturally, there's a diverse region in the himalayas but that's about it.

Well it just goes to show that even the educated can be morons.
Wow, I never knew the University of Westminster would have such a low standard of intelligence for its job roles. I imagine qualifications just are being able to feed yourself so you don't die.

So does his logic make every native race of people in their area of the world racist because they're native?
Original post by Snagprophet
Wow, I never knew the University of Westminster would have such a low standard of intelligence for its job roles. I imagine qualifications just are being able to feed yourself so you don't die.

So does his logic make every native race of people in their area of the world racist because they're native?

I guessing it's more to do with drawing comparisons between people taking about how plants flourish best in their native soil, non-native species being invasive and damaging to the local flora and er... certain opinions held by some individuals.

Which is somewhat absurd IMHO.
In my opinion it tells you everything you need to know about sociology.
Reply 9
I can't tell if he was taking the piss or not...
Tells you everything you need to know about programmed, brainwashed English people, brainwashed by Politcall Correctness and every other thing. The English are fighting for left-wing fascism and dismantlement of their traditional nation as they built it. They just don't know it, and won't know it until they're eaten alive by their favourite ethnic groups.
Original post by CryptoidAlien
Tells you everything you need to know about programmed, brainwashed English people, brainwashed by Politcall Correctness and every other thing. The English are fighting for left-wing fascism and dismantlement of their traditional nation as they built it. They just don't know it, and won't know it until they're eaten alive by their favourite ethnic groups.

Absolutely correct.

How long will it take the average Brit in Middle England until they smell the coffee, and start admitting that it's all brainwashing.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Teletubbies is racist for encouraging favoritism based on colour
Original post by SpikeyTeeth
Absolutely correct.

How long will it take the average Brit in Middle England until they smell the coffee, and start admitting that it's all brainwashing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Everyone who disagrees with me is brainwashed". Nice.

This "academic" said something that was incredibly foolish, but your language, especially in the OP, suggests that you've undergone similar "ideological programming".
Original post by TheTranshumanist
"Everyone who disagrees with me is brainwashed". Nice.

This "academic" said something that was incredibly foolish, but your language, especially in the OP, suggests that you've undergone similar "ideological programming".

I less brainwashed than most because I am willing the accept the possibility that I like anyone else can be brainwashed and am alert and watchful to this. Most people go about their daily business with no clue whatsoever in the world that there is this possibility and believe as literal truth just what their TV throws at them.

Quote: "The American public is brainwashed by the government to think the CIA is defending them from enemies as opposed to the terrible things the CIA actually does to expand the US empire and keep it afloat, journalist and historian Douglas Valentine told RT.

“70 percent of the American people right now in recent polling believe that Russia is a serious threat that they have to worry about before they go to bed at night”, he added. "

http://rt.com/op-edge/178684-cia-tortures-usa-public-opinion/

Posted from TSR Mobile
It makes me worry when it gets to the point where I can't even tell if it's a parody. I mean, I can see some of the parallels he's drawing, but to actually accuse the show of real racism? That's one of the most idiotic, naive opinions I have ever heard on the subject (and I've been on tumblr). I bet he knows jack squat about plant life and ecology. This guy thinks way too highly of himself and has far too much time on his hands...
As someone who is an avid gardener, owns a business that deals with farms and forests I think this quack should be told where the door is.

I hate to laugh at people's credentials but
BA in Literature Goldsmiths.
MA in Cultural Studies Lancaster.
PhD University of East London :lol:

Now with imbeciles like him being a "senior lecturer" at Westminster they still wonder why people think lowly of ex-polys.

There are very good reasons why you don't mix soils and plants. Heard of Japanese Knotweed? Heard of invasive species? Heard of soil borne pathogens and viruses? Know why you rarely hear of food scandals from Australia and New Zealand?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Dandaman1
It makes me worry when it gets to the point where I can't even tell if it's a parody. I mean, I can see some of the parallels he's drawing, but to actually accuse the show of real racism? That's one of the most idiotic, naive opinions I have ever heard on the subject (and I've been on tumblr). I bet he knows jack squat about plant life and ecology. This guy thinks way too highly of himself and has far too much time on his hands...

That's the worrying bit isn't it. Maybe this is a case of Poe's Law....

As a parody it's quite funny! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending