The Student Room Group

UCAS Tariff Points

I didn't manage to find an answer on the web so I'm hoping you can all help me.

I wondered whether UCAS Tariff points mattered at all when applying for Medicine or Dentistry. For example would it matter that I haven't done Grade 8 piano and only did up to Grade 5? Or are universities looking at the skills instead? Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by QuidditchFan

I wondered whether UCAS Tariff points mattered at all when applying for Medicine or Dentistry. For example would it matter that I haven't done Grade 8 piano and only did up to Grade 5? Or are universities looking at the skills instead? Thanks!

It doesn't matter - only the A Level grades themselves matter for medicine. Things like instrument grades and DofE etc. you'd mention and discuss in your personal statement.
Reply 2
What is the ucas points for the scale of piano i.e. what is grade 1 - 8 worth?

Do people even still care about ucas points, isn't it all about the grades - feel free to **** me down
Original post by Beska
It doesn't matter - only the A Level grades themselves matter for medicine. Things like instrument grades and DofE etc. you'd mention and discuss in your personal statement.

Original post by Jay.Sean
What is the ucas points for the scale of piano i.e. what is grade 1 - 8 worth?

Do people even still care about ucas points, isn't it all about the grades - feel free to **** me down

Thanks! In that case, can I still mention piano exams in qualifications, regardless of the grade, or do they have to be on the tariff table to be counted as a qualification?
Reply 4
Original post by QuidditchFan

Original post by Beska

Hello there! - I believe there are universities out there that compare the academic standards of people via the ucas tariff system for Medicine and Dentistry.The most obvious one is Barts and the London, they use a combination of UKCAT and UCAS tariff points to select candidates for interview. Saying that, there may be others too. When universities say they access your "academic credentials" they may use the ucas tariff system. Interestingly enough, if you ever request application statistics from the universities, they generally candidates streamed via ucas tarrif and ukcat scors ( My experience of this was with Dundee) - saying that, they may not use it to select like Barts does though.

Now! As to your question! It really doesn't matter if you do not have grade 8 and just grade 5 - Saying that if you applied to Barts, a grade 8 would be more beneficial than a grade 5, as the grade 8 carries more ucas tariff points. For example, I gained an offer from barts with a -decent- ukcat score, it wasn't terribly brilliant, but as I had music qualifications combined with my A-levels it allowed me to not need a really high ukcat.

Generally though, UCAS Tariff points don't -really- matter, but always be sure to enquire at your respective university to see what crazy-wacked-up system they use. :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by .S.K.T.
Hello there! - I believe there are universities out there that compare the academic standards of people via the ucas tariff system for Medicine and Dentistry.The most obvious one is Barts and the London, they use a combination of UKCAT and UCAS tariff points to select candidates for interview. Saying that, there may be others too. When universities say they access your "academic credentials" they may use the ucas tariff system. Interestingly enough, if you ever request application statistics from the universities, they generally candidates streamed via ucas tarrif and ukcat scors ( My experience of this was with Dundee) - saying that, they may not use it to select like Barts does though.

Now! As to your question! It really doesn't matter if you do not have grade 8 and just grade 5 - Saying that if you applied to Barts, a grade 8 would be more beneficial than a grade 5, as the grade 8 carries more ucas tariff points. For example, I gained an offer from barts with a -decent- ukcat score, it wasn't terribly brilliant, but as I had music qualifications combined with my A-levels it allowed me to not need a really high ukcat.

Generally though, UCAS Tariff points don't -really- matter, but always be sure to enquire at your respective university to see what crazy-wacked-up system they use. :biggrin:

Thank you! It was very clear. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending