The Student Room Group

Tips for cracking year 11?

Last year of school, now approaching ever nearer, and I was just wondering (couldn't see another thread in other words) if any of you guys here, mostly higher up the education chain, have any tips/tricks to make the journey through year 11 that bit smoother? Nothing exact, just how you managed your GCSE's and how you did it etc.

Anyhow, if there's a thread similar, please lock, but I was just wondering from you guys firstly. ; )
Reply 1
Nothing, I just carried on as usual. It wasn't a particularly exceptional year. Well, don't throw out last year's notes, like I did, because that was silly. But seriously, sometimes people on here worry far too much about the next year. Just do the work and you'll be fine, you don't need any special tips or anything.
Reply 2
A few I can think of:
1) Make sure you hand in homework on time, try to do it as soon as it's set, or it mounts up and gets stressful
2) Ask at the time if there's something you don't get, and don't be afraid to ask for a lunchtime session on a topic you don't get. Chances are there'll be a group of you wanting it explained again.
3) As you get coursework, set aside weekends just for coursework - so homework stays during the week and still gets done but you have a protected time for coursework and it doesn't get put off until the last minute.
4) Use your time wisely - this is not really something I should be advocating, but if you're sitting in a lesson and have heard it all before, get out another piece of work and do it. Only do this if you're sure it's nothing new, or you're waiting for other people to finish something.

Other than that, can't really think of anything. It's not that different to year 10 to be honest - yes, it's your GCSE year, but you were doing GCSEs all last year too, so you know what to expect.
Reply 3
Turn up.
If you haven't done so already, get all your coursework out of the way to the highest possible standard. It takes some of the pressure off for exams and can mean the difference between grades. Do all of your homework as soon as you get it and make sure you ask you help if there's anything you don't understand. Start revising around the Easter holidays and focus on your weaker subjects, even though chances are you don't enjoy them as much, but don't completely neglect your other subjects.
Reply 5
Most people find year 11 goes really quickly so make sure you keep up to date with all your subjects. Its good that you are keeping notes but you should also use revison guides for variety. Most importantly dont worry, year 11 isn't that bad. If you get fed up of it think of that long summer you get after the exams.:smile:
Definitely listen to everything the teacher says - easier said than done but i had to self teach myself a whole two years of science topics just before my exams! I wish i had listened!

Even if you've got that deathly boring teacher and you cant concentrate, just try and scrape together some notes that can be of use later on when your revising!

Also, for English re-read whichever book you're studying a few months before the exams and get a page-by-page Revision Guide - you can get them pretty cheaply from ebay! You can get some that give you exam points that you can manipulate to whatever the question on the text is - and it helps you get higher grades! The Lord of the Flies one is pretty good!

Hope this helps!

:suith: A :suith:
Reply 7
Go to the "how to ace GCSEs" thread in the GCSE section.
Reply 8
Carry on as usual and try to get the majority of revision done for the mocks.
Reply 9
Have a look at this thread, it has been stickied in the GCSE forum, it is all about how to cope with your GCSE's: http://www1.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276354 :smile:

Edit: Oops, sorry Triad, missed your post obviously :redface:
Become proficient at managing time and juggling coursework deadlines in your head. It's inevitable that at some point you're going to end up with a mountain of work on top of your head and both ignoring it, and trying to do it all when it's set are unrealistic strategies. Learn how to allocate time to what is the most pressing deadline, but at the same time be aware of future deadlines so you're not constantly under pressure.
Reply 11
1. get a revision guide NOW.
2. Read it and remember everything.
3. Do this 1 day every week for every single subject up to ur gcse's.
4. This gives you the chance to mess about in class and not pay attention.

Na I'm joking be a good kid and don't get into trouble.

Seriously, year 11 is pretty damn easy if you just relax.

Latest

Trending

Trending