The Student Room Group

Missed A Level grades, but everything turned out okay?

Anyone miss out on their A Level grades last year or failed to get into their firm choice?

How did it all work out for you in the end? :smile:

I ended up going through clearing, then transferred to Hull, which wasn't my original choice. It turned out to be one of the best things I ever did so I'm really glad that it happened. :smile:

It would be great to hear other positive stories to reassure all the students getting their A Level results, or who might miss their grades. :yy:

ITV also really wants to talk to a student who's had this experience next week for Good Morning Britain, so if anyone's interested or knows someone that would be interested PM me!
(edited 9 years ago)
I had two friends who missed their grades and both of them got in. Because of the higher fees, universities are allowed to take as many students as they want because the cap has been raised on the number of students they can take. If they can literally fit you in the building, they will want you to study & if they give you an offer, it means they want you. Don't worry too much about missing grades (this is coming from a student ambassador who was told to say this to prospective students, DON'T WORRY!)
Original post by tameimpala
I had two friends who missed their grades and both of them got in. Because of the higher fees, universities are allowed to take as many students as they want because the cap has been raised on the number of students they can take. If they can literally fit you in the building, they will want you to study & if they give you an offer, it means they want you. Don't worry too much about missing grades (this is coming from a student ambassador who was told to say this to prospective students, DON'T WORRY!)

Did they get in to the University they originally wanted to go to...? Or did they take a year out to resit? :smile:
My end results for A-Levels weren't up to scratch at all, I gave up on the notion of going to university so gained a Level 3 in Plumbing and Gas engineering.

At the end of that course (This year) the UCAS I gained from the A level results combined with the Level 3 in plumbing allowed me to get onto a Construction Management BSc, just proving that you should never give up hope, you'll get there eventually it just depends on which path you take. I originally wanted to go to Uni to study Criminology so that's how drastic the changes can be!

[h="1"]
Original post by Thomson2013
My end results for A-Levels weren't up to scratch at all, I gave up on the notion of going to university so gained a Level 3 in Plumbing and Gas engineering.

At the end of that course (This year) the UCAS I gained from the A level results combined with the Level 3 in plumbing allowed me to get onto a Construction Management BSc,

Hey, that's awesome! :smile: Are you looking forward to going to Uni?

just proving that you should never give up hope, you'll get there eventually it just depends on which path you take.

This is really, really the truth. :smile:
Missed my firm grades and turned out okay :tongue:
Original post by Slowbro93
Missed my firm grades and turned out okay :tongue:

What happened? :smile:
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
What happened? :smile:

Results day missed my grades for both firm and insurance. Was heartbreaking as I fell in love with my firm and hadn't considered my insurance. However, it was worse when I missed those grades too :erm:

However, in the end they let me in :woo: Got involved with uni life, really made some of the best friends you can imagine and hopefully coming out with a really good degree. Don't even give my firm a second thought anymore :nah: (although it would be a lie if I said that I didn't have any "what if" moments in my first term mainly)
Reply 8
I didn't get the grades I had hoped to get, however I decided to take a year out and retake my A-levels and reapply. During my year out I went out to Costa Rica and Nicaragua with Raleigh! This experience alone put everything into perspective and made an incredible difference to who I am today.
I missed my grades in 2012 (needed ABB, got BCC), so took a year out to repeat. Best thing I ever did, though I missed AGAIN in 2013 (Required AAB, got ABC), but got accepted onto the Optometry course anyway.
Original post by Slowbro93
Results day missed my grades for both firm and insurance. Was heartbreaking as I fell in love with my firm and hadn't considered my insurance. However, it was worse when I missed those grades too :erm:

However, in the end they let me in :woo: Got involved with uni life, really made some of the best friends you can imagine and hopefully coming out with a really good degree. Don't even give my firm a second thought anymore :nah: (although it would be a lie if I said that I didn't have any "what if" moments in my first term mainly)

But i always see you on the step threads every year?

Btw, im expecting step results this year and have an idea of what i got. Were you expecting to have done badly and get a 3,3 or did it come as a total shock to you?
I missed my firm grades in 2011. Aberdeen wanted me to get BBBB in 6th year (Scottish Highers, I'd already got ABCC in 5th year). I ended up getting AABC and they wouldn't let me in with those grades. Ended up going to my insurance Dundee, who only wanted AB. It was a bad decision to go to Dundee because I had been so in love with Aberdeen I hadn't even visited Dundee. Anyway I went to Dundee for a year and a half then dropped out in December 2012. I spent the last year doing a HNC (which I enjoyed immensely! Don't be afraid of going to college for a year if you have to) so I could apply to go to Glasgow, now I'm heading there in September :smile: Been a long road!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Did they get in to the University they originally wanted to go to...? Or did they take a year out to resit? :smile:

The one they originally wanted to go to. You might go down in the pecking order when it comes to accommodation, but who cares?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending