The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants for 2015 entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ja1
I imagine there might be more applicants/place for Liverpool?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Slightly but not really. Last year Lancaster had 11 per place and Liverpool had 12
Hi everyone I was just wondering about which universities I should apply to, and if I am a good enough applicant to apply to Medicine at all!

At GCSE, I got 6 A*s (in bio, chem, maths, english lit, english lang and physics), and 2 As (in geography and french), and a distinction in ICT OCR National Award Level 2.

At AS-level, I got an A in biology and chemistry, but a B in maths (with mechanics) and physics. I'm dropping physics, and retaking one of the maths modules so hopefully I can get a good A overall in maths.

I'm also doing the EPQ, and I'm hoping for an A*.

I have had work experience in two hospitals and three charity-based volunteering placements. I've also won various awards for subjects at school, etc.

Unfortunately, I mucked up the UKCAT and got 630 :/ SJT Band 1

Which universities do you think I should apply to?

And good luck to all you prospective medics out there too!
Original post by ashcariba17
Hi everyone I was just wondering about which universities I should apply to, and if I am a good enough applicant to apply to Medicine at all!

At GCSE, I got 6 A*s (in bio, chem, maths, english lit, english lang and physics), and 2 As (in geography and french), and a distinction in ICT OCR National Award Level 2.

At AS-level, I got an A in biology and chemistry, but a B in maths (with mechanics) and physics. I'm dropping physics, and retaking one of the maths modules so hopefully I can get a good A overall in maths.

I'm also doing the EPQ, and I'm hoping for an A*.

I have had work experience in two hospitals and three charity-based volunteering placements. I've also won various awards for subjects at school, etc.

Unfortunately, I mucked up the UKCAT and got 630 :/ SJT Band 1

Which universities do you think I should apply to?

And good luck to all you prospective medics out there too!

You're definitely strong enough to apply to medicine! Id recommend any unis that don't use the UKCAT. Cardiff may be a good option, keele also. Possibly BMAT universities such as Brighton or leeds?
Original post by JMJ_1996
You're definitely strong enough to apply to medicine! Id recommend any unis that don't use the UKCAT. Cardiff may be a good option, keele also. Possibly BMAT universities such as Brighton or leeds?

Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help :smile: I was looking into Cardiff, but they base their cut off scores on top 9 GCSE grades. An A* is 3 points, an A is 2 points and a B is 1 point. Overall, I'd have 22 points (I'm not sure what the distinction in ICT would count towards - I've been told it's worth AA). 22/27 seems like a risk to apply. What do you think? :smile:
Original post by ashcariba17
Thank you so much! I really appreciate your help :smile: I was looking into Cardiff, but they base their cut off scores on top 9 GCSE grades. An A* is 3 points, an A is 2 points and a B is 1 point. Overall, I'd have 22 points (I'm not sure what the distinction in ICT would count towards - I've been told it's worth AA). 22/27 seems like a risk to apply. What do you think? :smile:

Oh okay yeah maybe then. I know the cut off is about 25. So unless your distinction counts as an A I wouldn't apply. How about nottingham as you're pretty well rounded so that would probably be a good choice. I'd also opt for sheffield maybe as you're a good candidate for there
Original post by JMJ_1996
Oh okay yeah maybe then. I know the cut off is about 25. So unless your distinction counts as an A I wouldn't apply. How about nottingham as you're pretty well rounded so that would probably be a good choice. I'd also opt for sheffield maybe as you're a good candidate for there

Thank you! Would you recommend I apply for universities that do not ask for UKCAT/BMAT, e.g. Lancaster and Leeds, or would my AS-levels and GCSEs need to be stronger? :smile:
Hi guys! Definitely applying here as I love the place, but it's a bit of a risk as the way they select is quite subjective. Just got to try and polish off my personal statement and draft some answers to the form and then put it down to luck! Also looking at St George's, Plymouth and Exeter. Considering swapping Exeter for UEA but not yet sure.

I'm sure we'll all get to know each other quite well over this terrifying process!! :P
Reply 47
Original post by MollyMcFly1
Hi guys! Definitely applying here as I love the place, but it's a bit of a risk as the way they select is quite subjective. Just got to try and polish off my personal statement and draft some answers to the form and then put it down to luck! Also looking at St George's, Plymouth and Exeter. Considering swapping Exeter for UEA but not yet sure.

I'm sure we'll all get to know each other quite well over this terrifying process!! :P

Hopefully you won't think I'm weird for remembering haha but I'm sure we talked before about Keele and we'd both emailed them about getting an academic interview or something similar :tongue: just wondering if you've had a reply yet?
Original post by DMBP
Hopefully you won't think I'm weird for remembering haha but I'm sure we talked before about Keele and we'd both emailed them about getting an academic interview or something similar :tongue: just wondering if you've had a reply yet?

Haha yes that's me! Don't worry I wanted to ask you the same but couldn't remember your username! No I haven't - have you? I think they're avoiding the question :P
Reply 49
Haha yes that's me! Don't worry I wanted to ask you the same but couldn't remember your username! No I haven't - have you? I think they're avoiding the question :P

Oh good :smile: but that's a bit annoying! Like I said before I'll be applying anyway but it would be nice to know. It's just cause I emailed Leeds about something else at the same time and I've already got my reply so maybe they are avoiding us :wink:
Reply 50
Original post by DMBP
Oh good :smile: but that's a bit annoying! Like I said before I'll be applying anyway but it would be nice to know. It's just cause I emailed Leeds about something else at the same time and I've already got my reply so maybe they are avoiding us :wink:

I think it's just because Keele have a LOT of applications for such a small medical school so they can't give you a definite answer as it will depend upon the standard of applicants the year that you are applying. Good Luck!
Reply 51
Original post by 2018
I think it's just because Keele have a LOT of applications for such a small medical school so they can't give you a definite answer as it will depend upon the standard of applicants the year that you are applying. Good Luck!

Yes they definitely do! I asked them about last years applicants so hopefully they can give me that information :smile: good luck to you as well!
Original post by DMBP
Yes they definitely do! I asked them about last years applicants so hopefully they can give me that information :smile: good luck to you as well!

I know last year it was 7 A*s at GCSE and 4 As at AS :smile:
Reply 53
I know last year it was 7 A*s at GCSE and 4 As at AS :smile:

Ah ok! I hope it doesn't go up, I don't see how it could really but everywhere seems to be getting tougher year on year!
Original post by DMBP
Ah ok! I hope it doesn't go up, I don't see how it could really but everywhere seems to be getting tougher year on year!

Yeah I guess it depends how many GCSEs they decide to look at. They might not decide that until they get all the applications I guess...
Reply 55
Original post by DMBP

Thanks but I'm not applying to medicine. Just here to help out :smile:
I'm interested in applying to Keele.
I got 5A*'s, 5A's and a B at GCSE. 4A's at as-level and A*AAA achieved a-level.
Got plenty of work experience and voluntary work.
UKCAT- 2560, avg 640.

Would I be a suitable applicant for Keele, as I really want to apply there. Thanks
Original post by priyanka44
UKCAT- 2560, avg 640.

Would I be a suitable applicant for Keele, as I really want to apply there. Thanks

Yep I think you are a good applicant you have a very similar profile to me and I'm applying to keele
Reply 58
Original post by priyanka44
UKCAT- 2560, avg 640.

Your academics are great but this year Keele are using the UKCAT more and are rejecting the bottom 10% of applicants with the lowest UKCAT score. So just be aware of that before making any final decisions! Good luck :smile:
Original post by 2018
Your academics are great but this year Keele are using the UKCAT more and are rejecting the bottom 10% of applicants with the lowest UKCAT score. So just be aware of that before making any final decisions! Good luck :smile:

What do you expect the bottom 10% quartile to be?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending