The Student Room Group

Keele Medicine Applicants for 2015 entry

Poll

UKCAT Score

Hi everyone.

Couldn't find a thread for Keele 2015 applicants, so thought I would make one.

Has anyone else decided to apply to Keele yet for 2015? I've noticed that their website seems to suggest possible changes to how they assess applications. Hopefully it isn't going to affect how much weighting they give the UKCAT, as in past years it seems that they only use it to differentiate between borderline cases.

Edit: I ended up not apply to Keele in the end, so won't be closely following this thread. Won't be updating the OP unless someone quotes me asking for me to update it. I recommend moving to kangarooblue's thread. Good luck everyone!

A link to the other (now closed) thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2833835
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I think I'm interested in Keele but it's all going to be dependent on how they change the way they assess applications!! Hope it's nothing too drastic though.

When they said last year they may invite people for interview on academics alone, does anyone know what sort of grades they were looking for?
Do you know if Keele will continue to do MMIs?
Reply 3
Original post by solarplexus
Do you know if Keele will continue to do MMIs?

Looking on their website it doesn't look as though the way they interview is changing so it should still be MMI.
Still waiting for them to update it!
Want to apply for medicine at keele this year (looking round tomorrow) but didn't know they were changing the way they assessed applications? I liked the look it specifically because of the way they assessed applications!
Hey there :smile: I missed my offers this year getting A*ABB but from what I understand this would meet Keele's offer; if so I will definitely be applying here as there is the opportunity for an unconditional xD

Early days I know, but how is everyone feeling about their applications?
Any graduates applying to Keele? :smile:
Went to the open day today and the only way the admissions process is going to change is that there will be an extra form to fill out about caring work experience (shadowing not included) and they will disregard applications from applicants who achieve a UKCAT score within the bottom 10%
Original post by JMJ_1996
Went to the open day today and the only way the admissions process is going to change is that there will be an extra form to fill out about caring work experience (shadowing not included) and they will disregard applications from applicants who achieve a UKCAT score within the bottom 10%

What kind of thing constitutes caring work experience? Would volunteering at a youth group for disabled teens be in that category?
Reply 9

Thanks for letting us know, I couldn't get to the open day! The bottom 10% of UKCAT scores though - what do you think that makes the cutoff? Surely it would be below 2600?
Original post by Dr. Django
What kind of thing constitutes caring work experience? Would volunteering at a youth group for disabled teens be in that category?

Yeah anything like that. Working in a school, or children with disabilities or a care home or any paid part time job like working in a shop. Basically anything but shadowing, although most of it will probably involve caring or whatever
Original post by DMBP
Thanks for letting us know, I couldn't get to the open day! The bottom 10% of UKCAT scores though - what do you think that makes the cutoff? Surely it would be below 2600?

Yeah definitely. I was looking at last years and it was like anything below 2150
Can I just clarify:

Ukcat is only looked at to ensure not in bottom 10%?

Rest is on grades?

How much PS involvement?
Reply 13
Yeah definitely. I was looking at last years and it was like anything below 2150

Ahh thanks a lot! Looks like Keele is definitely going to be one of my four options :biggrin:
Reply 14
Original post by AishaNeuro
Any graduates applying to Keele? :smile:

I'm a graduate! Not sure whether my academic qualifications are acceptable though, so I emailed the admissions team and I'm waiting for a reply.
Original post by Dr. Django
Can I just clarify:

Ukcat is only looked at to ensure not in bottom 10%?

Rest is on grades?

How much PS involvement?

Yep. And no, virtually all is on work experience (not including shadowing) and personal statement. Grades aren't looked at much other than meeting the minimum
Reply 16
Hey guys, I applied to Keele last year and managed to get an interview. I was ultimately rejected but I'm happy to give an outline of what the interview process was like. :smile:
Original post by Doodle00
Hey guys, I applied to Keele last year and managed to get an interview. I was ultimately rejected but I'm happy to give an outline of what the interview process was like. :smile:

Please do tell us everything! I know it's MMI. Did you have a lot of work experience? Do you think that's why you got an interview? And why do you think you might have got a rejection?
Reply 18
Looking on the website (finally updated!:tongue:) it says this year 125 students will be invited for interview based on academic excellence.
Does anyone know what was required last year to get an interview on this basis? Is it just basically all A*s at GCSE and AAAA at AS level?
Original post by DMBP
Looking on the website (finally updated!:tongue:) it says this year 125 students will be invited for interview based on academic excellence.
Does anyone know what was required last year to get an interview on this basis? Is it just basically all A*s at GCSE and AAAA at AS level?

Not entirely sure but id assume so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending