The Student Room Group

Physics vs further maths for chem degree

Which is more useful? I'm currently taking maths, bio and chem. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm looking at applying to unis such as oxford.
Original post by Spelly456
Which is more useful? I'm currently taking maths, bio and chem. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm looking at applying to unis such as oxford.

If applying to Oxford, I would recommend both. (I studied there so I have some experience :P)

Further maths is almost a necessity for the 1st year maths course if you don't want to struggle your way through the course. Physics is really useful as i means you are familiar with a lot of concepts that come up in the course. It's was more useful than biology. I did 3 sci + maths and wish I had taken F.Maths instead of Bio (in as far as helping me at uni). In the context of not hating my A-levels I'm glad i didn;t do F.Maths though.
Reply 2
Physics.

Further is probably only going to help you with Oxford, the rest of the universities won't expect it at all and will teach you everything in first year. It will help you more everywhere by having Physics. I did A-level maths, and just got taught stuff like matrices etc. in first year.

I didn't do either of physics or further maths, and i'm doing fine - so it's not the end of the world missing one.
As an Oxford chemist I would vote for maths! Although I could totally believe what Nymthae said - but obviously I can only speak from my own experiences.

The Oxford first year maths course is a real trial by fire for anyone who hasn't done further maths. Moreover there's a Prelims paper in maths at the end of the first year which you'll need to pass to continue on the course. Honestly there's not a whole lot of physics (as compared to maths) in the chemistry course, and what you need they do give you lectures on.

Quick Reply

Latest