The Student Room Group
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen

Conditional Offers For 2015 HELP

Hello, I got ABC in my S5 highers. I would like to apply to Aberdeen for Business with International Relations in 2014/2015 but I've looked on their website and they ask for BBB in S5 in order to enter the course in two sittings. Could I still get a conditional?

Original post by tdan22

Hello, I got ABC in my S5 highers. I would like to apply to Aberdeen for Business with International Relations in 2014/2015 but I've looked on their website and they ask for BBB in S5 in order to enter the course in two sittings. Could I still get a conditional?

I'd say you're likely to get a conditional, although it will probably be a tough one. It really all depends on the competition/demand though, but it's not a definite no so it doesn't hurt to submit an application! My boyfriend got AC for his S5 Highers, less than yours clearly, and was not offered a conditional to Aberdeen, but conditionals to elsewhere.
Student Outside, University of Aberdeen
University of Aberdeen
Reply 2
Original post by hattiemcbinky
I'd say you're likely to get a conditional, although it will probably be a tough one. It really all depends on the competition/demand though, but it's not a definite no so it doesn't hurt to submit an application! My boyfriend got AC for his S5 Highers, less than yours clearly, and was not offered a conditional to Aberdeen, but conditionals to elsewhere.

Do you mean tough as in the grades they would ask for? And do you think a good personal statement will give me a better chance of getting a conditional? Thanks :smile:
Original post by tdan22
Do you mean tough as in the grades they would ask for? And do you think a good personal statement will give me a better chance of getting a conditional? Thanks :smile:

Yes, I meant the grades asked for. A good personal statement will definitely help, it can sometimes be the deciding factor when it comes down to two applicants with the same grades - it's important to speak about your PASSION for the subject - the roots of this and how it grew, and add in any relevant experiences. What you can also do is perhaps e-mail the admissions team there and ask them if there is a likelihood of a conditional offer, it's not guaranteed that you'll get a straight reply because it's so early and some universities do not like to do this, but it's worth a shot. :smile:
Reply 4
Yes, I meant the grades asked for. A good personal statement will definitely help, it can sometimes be the deciding factor when it comes down to two applicants with the same grades - it's important to speak about your PASSION for the subject - the roots of this and how it grew, and add in any relevant experiences. What you can also do is perhaps e-mail the admissions team there and ask them if there is a likelihood of a conditional offer, it's not guaranteed that you'll get a straight reply because it's so early and some universities do not like to do this, but it's worth a shot. :smile:

I've already tried, I just hope they don't end up rejecting me because of a C
Reply 5

Okay, they've replied and they 'would expect to be able to make me a conditional offer' :smile:
Original post by tdan22
Okay, they've replied and they 'would expect to be able to make me a conditional offer' :smile:

Ah that's good! When I originally sent that same e-mail two years ago, I didn't get as much information, only that the courses were very competitive. Looks like you're on the right track then :thumbsup:
Reply 7
Hey, guys, could you perhaps help me out?
I'm an EU citizen outside if the UK, but I really want to get into a Scottish university and I'm applying for Law and International Relations/Politics and only the following universities offer that: Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Stirling, Strathclyde. I hear that Scottish universities are more prone to accepting fee-paying students, but since I am not, would that hinder my chances? I'm in the IB program, btw. Could you guys suggest which universities are the likeliest and the least likeliest to accept someone like me? My number one choices are Aberdeen and Edinburgh, and the rest I want to apply just to make sure I get in, so I also need to know which universities I'm pretty much guaranteed to get into. Thanks, guys, this website is really useful! ^^
Original post by Emilia9
Hey, guys, could you perhaps help me out?
I'm an EU citizen outside if the UK, but I really want to get into a Scottish university and I'm applying for Law and International Relations/Politics and only the following universities offer that: Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Dundee, Glasgow, Stirling, Strathclyde. I hear that Scottish universities are more prone to accepting fee-paying students, but since I am not, would that hinder my chances? I'm in the IB program, btw. Could you guys suggest which universities are the likeliest and the least likeliest to accept someone like me? My number one choices are Aberdeen and Edinburgh, and the rest I want to apply just to make sure I get in, so I also need to know which universities I'm pretty much guaranteed to get into. Thanks, guys, this website is really useful! ^^

Hey, I'm in the same situation. I live in Cambodia right now but originally from Germany. I applied to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Heriot Watt. I got a predicted of 39 but I haven't heard from any university and I applied beginning december so its been around two months. So I'm little more than slightly worried haha. All my international friends have gotten offers already. How are you standing with offers right now?
Reply 9
Original post by leoniephnompenh
Hey, I'm in the same situation. I live in Cambodia right now but originally from Germany. I applied to St Andrews, Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Strathclyde and Heriot Watt. I got a predicted of 39 but I haven't heard from any university and I applied beginning december so its been around two months. So I'm little more than slightly worried haha. All my international friends have gotten offers already. How are you standing with offers right now?

Hey!
Wow, 39 is amazing!
The thing is, I'm in the exact same situation; I applied 3 weeks ago and almost ALL of my friends keep getting offers and the ones I applied to are completely silent.
I applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Kent.
Original post by Emilia9
Hey!
Wow, 39 is amazing!
The thing is, I'm in the exact same situation; I applied 3 weeks ago and almost ALL of my friends keep getting offers and the ones I applied to are completely silent.
I applied to Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Kent.

Thank you!
Aw man, that sucks. Good to know I'm not the only one in this situation though... I hope you get some offers really soon! I have my mocks next week and i would love some motivation myself haha. Where do you go to school?
Reply 11
Thank you!
Aw man, that sucks. Good to know I'm not the only one in this situation though... I hope you get some offers really soon! I have my mocks next week and i would love some motivation myself haha. Where do you go to school?

Hahaha, yeah, misery loves company :smile:
Oh, wow, good luck with those mocks! Mine are on the first week of March. I go to school in Lithuania. International school kid? :smile:
Original post by Emilia9
Hahaha, yeah, misery loves company :smile:
Oh, wow, good luck with those mocks! Mine are on the first week of March. I go to school in Lithuania. International school kid? :smile:

Ah, its the sad truth. Thank you! I'm definitely not as prepared as I thought I would be but oh well. Lithuania, that's pretty ****ing cool. Haha yes I am, I go to school in Cambodia. :smile:

I´ve also applied to St Andrews, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Have you heard back from any of them yet? I´m still waiting. Applied for Social Anthropology, how about you?

Btw: I´m also in the IB, and I´m predicted 38 (excluding core points).
Original post by Rikke1996
I´ve also applied to St Andrews, Edinburgh and Aberdeen. Have you heard back from any of them yet? I´m still waiting. Applied for Social Anthropology, how about you?

Btw: I´m also in the IB, and I´m predicted 38 (excluding core points).

No. I haven't at all, I read somewhere online that both St. Andrews and Edinburgh tend to give the offers last minute at around 31st of March... I hope they come earlier though! Are you an international or EU applicant?
No. I haven't at all, I read somewhere online that both St. Andrews and Edinburgh tend to give the offers last minute at around 31st of March... I hope they come earlier though! Are you an international or EU applicant?

They do give offers late. Last year Edinburgh gave out some offers for SA in February, but they send out the majority in Marts. St A sometimes answers in April or May, but most commonly also in Marts. Aberdeen should answer earlier.

I´m an EU applicant (Denmark).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending