The Student Room Group
Reply 1
totally_unique
Is this classed as a Motorway?
There was a sign saying 'End of Motorway Regulations'. Does this mean so?
I need to know coz I am meant to drive on it next week but I'm still a learner and can't drive on motorways...

Thanks x

I think if it were to have motorway regs, it would be labelled as A1(M) so it should be fine to drive on it.

Mark
Yep, depends on the section and as above, motorway rules section are denoted as "A1(M)".
Reply 3
The colour of the destination signs are also a clue! If they're blue then it's a motorway, if they're green it's an A road.
Reply 4
The A1 is an incredibly long road and there are patches of A1 and patches of A1(M). Some old atlases may not show all the motorway sections. Generally it merges seamlessly between motorway and A-road; you might notice the hard shoulder appearing and the lanes widening, and the signs turning blue.

People generally refer to the road as the A1 whether they're talking about an A1(M) section or not.

Don't worry - a driving instructor knows not to take you on a motorway!
Reply 5
I was travelling on it on Sunday night, and I noticed a section of A1 (not M) that has 3 lanes AND a hard shoulder and seemed to be exactly the same surface etc as the motorway part a few minutes earlier... neither me or Dad could work out what the difference was to be honest... mad.
But I'm not driving on it with an Instuctor.....it's with my parents.
Now I am confused!
*looks for a route which avoids A1*
Reply 7
totally_unique
But I'm not driving on it with an Instuctor.....it's with my parents.
Now I am confused!
*looks for a route which avoids A1*

Its not a motorway, you can drive on it.

Mark
totally_unique
Is this classed as a Motorway?
There was a sign saying 'End of Motorway Regulations'. Does this mean so?
I need to know coz I am meant to drive on it next week but I'm still a learner and can't drive on motorways...

Thanks x

significant parts of the A1 are now motorway - signed as A1M with blue background signs etc same as M numbered motorways- there is a parallel none motorway route in most cases

check on an up to date for the areas you are drving to see whether this will be a problem for your journey

the reason it's not renumbered is M1 - M9 are already taken ...
Reply 9
emzilee
I was travelling on it on Sunday night, and I noticed a section of A1 (not M) that has 3 lanes AND a hard shoulder and seemed to be exactly the same surface etc as the motorway part a few minutes earlier... neither me or Dad could work out what the difference was to be honest... mad.

Sometimes they have to deregulate motorways, because motorways force many vehicles (motorbikes, learners, cyclists, old people) onto different roads and this can cause congestion away from the motorway. For instance, in 2000 the A40(M) in Central London (Westway) became the A40 again.

If a motorway is deregulated, I'd be surprised if they bothered to make the lanes narrower and remove the hard shoulder for no reason.
To the OP. If you are trying to plan a route and want to avoid motorways then I think if you use a route planner on the internet, the AA or whichever you want you can specify to avoid motorways so it should plan a route avoiding any parts of the A1 which are motorway.
Jonathan
Sometimes they have to deregulate motorways, because motorways force many vehicles (motorbikes, learners, cyclists, old people) onto different roads and this can cause congestion away from the motorway. For instance, in 2000 the A40(M) in Central London (Westway) became the A40 again.

If a motorway is deregulated, I'd be surprised if they bothered to make the lanes narrower and remove the hard shoulder for no reason.

True, but none of the A1 has never been deregulated- there are large sections of the A1 that are motorway-standard, but have not been upgraded.

Anyway, when you get on, it'll either have the blue motorway sign and the name A1(M), or it won't, and will simply be a green A1 sign. There's always a sign, and an opportunity to leave before each time the road becomes motorway again, which is something obligatory by law.

Oh, and being called A1(M) is not just because M1-M9 have gone, but because it has never been a new motorway, and is just an upgraded A1, and hence can't be given a new name.

Latest

Trending

Trending