The Student Room Group

in desperate need of advice about Ancient History at Cardiff uni!

hi everyone, results day is next week and my insurance choice is to do ancient history at Cardiff. I just really want some info about what the course is like really! is it any good? what should I expect? would really appreciate a reply!
Original post by milliem1
hi everyone, results day is next week and my insurance choice is to do ancient history at Cardiff. I just really want some info about what the course is like really! is it any good? what should I expect? would really appreciate a reply!

Ooo. I'm wondering too. Where is your firm?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Coffeetime
Ooo. I'm wondering too. Where is your firm?

My firm is oxford brookes to do history and they are asking for BBB. what about you? im so stressed about results day now!
Reply 3
Ah, this I can help with. I did Ancient History at Cardiff, was also my back-up option - I missed out on Nottingham by one grade!
What is the course like? Well, you will learn a lot about the big figures of the Roman Republic and the Roman Emperors, On the Greek side, there will be a lot about Athens and Sparta, Thucydides and the Peloponessian War.
You're pretty much treated like an adult and left to your own devices - which unfortunately wasn't good for me because I was lazy and not very disciplined at 18! This is going to sound stupidly obvious but if I could give you one piece of advice it would be -read. But don't just read around the topic of your module - read about all ancient history. I guarantee that it will come in useful at some point. You'll be sat in a exam one day and you'll suddenly remember a random fact you can use that you remember from months ago which you read about by chance.
Also - really know your primary sources. Own them, know the authors, know the works and the strengths and limitations of the primary sources inside out. Come up with your own opinions about the primary sources and don't be afraid to express them.
This might all sound obvious - but honestly, if someone had told me all this back when I was 18...I would have left uni with a much better mark lol
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending