The Student Room Group

Can they close your bank account if you don't use it?

I have a normal current account with HSBC but I have been accepted for a Santander student bank account which I plan on using as my main bank account for at least the next 3 years while I am at Uni because of the high overdraft.

Will HSBC close my account because there's no money in my account? I only have a few quid in there atm.
Reply 1
Original post by ddtown
I have a normal current account with HSBC but I have been accepted for a Santander student bank account which I plan on using as my main bank account for at least the next 3 years while I am at Uni because of the high overdraft.

Will HSBC close my account because there's no money in my account? I only have a few quid in there atm.

If it has a balance of more than £0, I don't think they can close it. They'd at least write to you if it got to the stage of them considering closing it, and if they did, they'd probably just write you a cheque with any remaining balance.
I think there is a policy about dormant accounts, but that is after several years of inactivity. Check with the bank's website.
If you're not using an account, it's best to close it as it may have a negative impact on your credit rating. Agencies see not-in-use bank accounts as an unnecessary risk to your personal details. I'd say to close it and look to reopen it should you wish to bank with HSBC in the future.
Banks can close accounts but normally they write to you first telling you. Dormant accounts are normally closed after no activity for several years. Why don't you just close it if you don't intend to use it? I don't see the benefit of keeping it open.
Original post by Tappouni
If it has a balance of more than £0, I don't think they can close it. They'd at least write to you if it got to the stage of them considering closing it, and if they did, they'd probably just write you a cheque with any remaining balance.

This is what happened to me last year. I ended up with a cheque for a grand total of 32p.
Banks can close accounts at any time they feel like it.
Reply 7
I had £0 in my Barclays account for over 8 years and they never closed it! Cant say the same for HSBC but i cant imagine why they would close it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending